digital camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• digital camera

My digital camera is a Fuji and it is 5 or 6 years old and on the fritz right now. Even when it worked, it was hard to get a natural color balance. Then when I posted auctions on eBay, my pictures really looked worse than I wanted. I can't justify more than about $300 to $400. What brands do you guys like? I have seen some really nice photos posted here--that is why I am asking you all> Thanks--Mike.

Buy a digital camera made by a company that makes cameras. By that I mean Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus etc.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I think canon and nikon are hard to beat, I chose canon so I could use normal AA batteries. I use ni-mh rechargeables but can pick up regular ones anywhere in a pinch. My canon powershot A-70 is getting old but is still going strong after 5,300 pictures.

Comment

Evan makes a good point. I normally shoot Nikon 35mm, but I have an Olympus digital. Good camera, about 3 years old.

The most important spec is probably the optical zoom range. Should be at least 3:1, preferrably more. The digital zoom range is irrelevant. The greater the pixel count the more information in the photo, but also the larger the file size. I doubt that most people would really use more than about 4 Megapixels.
        Leigh
        The entire content of this post is copyright by, and is the sole property of, the author. No assignment
        of title nor right of publication shall ensue from presentation of this material on any computer site.

Comment

I bought my wife a Nikon Coolpix 4600. Not too much cash, good photos, color looks good.

rock-
          Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

My Fuji uses AA batteries and they don't last at all. It uses USB cables to attach to the computer and would like to have something easier to connect to the computer. What kinds and models do you use? Thanks--Mike.

Comment

Cheap and Good

I have a Olympus... all kinds of setting to fool with Good Camera. But most of my ebay photo's are taken with a cheap Kodak CX6200 Camera I originally picked up for my wife. It's easy to use and is takes good photo's with little fuss. I would recommend it and to picking up some nickel metal halide rechargeable batteries.
              Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by tattoomike68
                I think canon and nikon are hard to beat, I chose canon so I could use normal AA batteries. I use ni-mh rechargeables but can pick up regular ones anywhere in a pinch. My canon powershot A-70 is getting old but is still going strong after 5,300 pictures.
                I really like my A70 as well. Easy to use and if you let your rechargables run down at a bad time you can pop in some AA alkalines and be ready to go again.
                Doug Arthurs
                Kent bridge, Ontario
                www.irontoart.com

Comment

digital camera

If you plan on taking good closeup shots make sure it has Macro settings. I have an Olympus, takes great closeups, sometimes too good.
                  "four to tow, two to go"

Comment

Originally posted by mikem
                    My Fuji uses AA batteries and they don't last at all. It uses USB cables to attach to the computer and would like to have something easier to connect to the computer. What kinds and models do you use? Thanks--Mike.
                    older cams have realy bad battery life , my old HP was about 100 pictures, my canon will take 350-450 shots before it needs hot batteries.

Comment

I have an Olmpus 750 with 10 optical Zoom
                      It wil go down to 1 3/8" inch for Macro. At that range, the screen covers a postage stamp. absolutely superb..for my use
                      Rich

if you are into Action sports, like auto racing, watch out for slow speed cameras
                      Green Bay, WI

Comment

I agree with Evan as far as the brands, but some other things to think about are what else you plan on using it for and when.
                        I have a Canon Power Shot SD400. I bought it due to its compact size for travel. It fits easily in my pocket, is a 5 megapixel, and the best option (for me) is the menu's are words as well as symbols. I had a 4 Mp Olypus, nice camera especially for low light shots, but it was bulky for travel and I could never remember what all the symbols meant in order to change modes unless I took the manual along with me.
                        So, think about if you will be using it for action shots, travel, close-ups, night or low light. Also, if you get a 4 megapixel or larger, I would recommend getting a fast card. The one I have is the Sundisk Ultra 2, 1GB card. This allows for fast repeat shots and holds enough pictures for an entire vacation.

Comment

I have an Olympus Stylus 600 and absolutely love it. I have had two Sony cameras and both were pure crap.

James

Comment

I've had pretty good luck with Canon - a G1 from a few years back and a G3 that I'm presently using. Both cameras featured various white balance setting for standard lighting (incandescent, fluorescent, etc) as well as one or two custom modes where one uses a white object to let the camera figure out it's own white balance. If color fidelity has been a problem for you look for a digicam that has decent white balance options.

Here's a closeup pic of a die file and 6" scale:

http://member.newsguy.com/~mphenry/N...o_00-NFS-1.JPG

I've liked the G1 and G3 well enough that I'm about to upgrade to a Canon Digital Rebel XT which should be here in time for the NAMES show.

There are plenty of good camera brands and models out there and it might help to do some research at www.dpreview.com or http://www.steves-digicams.com/ .

Mike
                            Mike Henry near Chicago

Comment

I am another with a Canon A70.

I like it, it generally does well.

Color balance is good, usually. But I still haven't got it perfect, no more than with film.

Gripes specific to it about color include the fact that it, and every other digi-cam I have seen, picks up the slightest tinge of rusty color, and makes it look like a Hoffman project.

I don't know why that is, but the default error is always way too red overall. Never too blue.

But the battery life is much more than advertised, the zoom is acceptable and macro is almost as good as I could wish for as an ideal.

The flip-out display is so nice I am going to hate not having it, since it seems to be a dead feature, although I have not examined new cameras closely yet. The "replacement" for the A70 didn't have it..... boooo hissssss

4 megapixels is enough, I agree, except for the most nutty fussy person. Or one needing to blow a pic up to 4 x 6 feet. And at 4MP, the file size is fine, not stupid huge.

The problem with digicams is that by the time you find out what's good, its long out of production. I tried to get an A70 from the place that convinced me it was best, and it was out of stock, never going to get more. I went elsewhere.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                              X