No announcement yet.

The right tool for the job? HF metal bender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got one of these benders on the local buy&sell internet site. I have not used it yet, but the guy from whom I got it said the 150 lb hunk of steel to which it is mounted meant it only needed to be bolted down (or would move, actually) for the absolute largest piece you could fit in it. In my small, crowed shop I'd like to leave it movable.
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

I’ve got a plan to cement 2-1/2” square seamless tubing into the floor . Use 2” post to hold bender vise etc. Drop the post into the receiver, have tools mounted on short piece of 2-1/2”, drop that onto the post. When you’re done everything tucks away neat and shop floor is clear

Comment

For temporary light bending, bolt to mill table, in your bench vise, on your bench, or to any beam or retaining wall outside..

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
          For temporary light bending, bolt to mill table, in your bench vise, on your bench, or to any beam or retaining wall outside..
          Hmm, good idea

Comment

I have been known to forego the bending brake altogether and use a front loader bucket or an angle iron rail on a trailer. small stuff isn't that hard. I also have a small brake just 4 inches wide that fits in a bench vise. I mostly use it for cutting off lead bars so they will fit in the melting pot. LOL.
            *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

I have a bender similar to what I think that pic shows. I bolted mine to a solidly made plywood base, on which I store much of my steel shorts, the heaviest pieces. In addition I have it strapped to a nearby bench, which has as part of its structure a vertical column which reaches and is bolted to a floor joist from the upper floor. My press is also bolted to this column. Everything helps everything else.

One of my 'cool' workshop projects was a bender for flat bar. It's 7 inches wide so I can bend 6 inch wide stock. It will easily bend 1/4 thick bar at 2 inches wide but it won't quite make your dogleg if those bends are only 1/2 inch apart. That would take a narrower bottom die than I currently have- but would be possible if I changed the die. All I'm saying here is that when a need arises, there's a way to meet that need if you're willing to put the work in and build something. This one uses a 20 ton jack- which does bring up the other possibility- using an existing press and just building a suitable top and bottom die to use it as a bender. That HF machine won't give you that dogleg (I don't think so anyway) but it's good for the larger radius bends. It's clumsy, but I don't have too many complaints about it.
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Those benders are so loose and sloppy that I really think you'll be disappointed if you buy one.
                We've had a couple and they're OK for rough work but I doubt that one would be precise enough
                for what you want.

To mount our benders we just made a plate the same size as the base of the bender, welded an
                ear of flat bar to that and then clamped the bender in a vise when we needed to use it. That way
                we didn't tie up floor space with a permanent stand...
                Keith

Comment

Originally posted by LKeithR View Post
                  Those benders are so loose and sloppy that I really think you'll be disappointed if you buy one.
                  We've had a couple and they're OK for rough work but I doubt that one would be precise enough
                  for what you want.

To mount our benders we just made a plate the same size as the base of the bender, welded an
                  ear of flat bar to that and then clamped the bender in a vise when we needed to use it. That way
                  we didn't tie up floor space with a permanent stand...
                  Well, perhaps a finger brake for my 20 ton shop press, and some dies, just press them to shape?

Comment

Hi RB211,

I agree with LKeithR as I have one and it does not bend a smooth angle. Radius and such OK, but still loose in the joints so consistency is lacking for more than one.
                    I did put this anchor https://www.mcmaster.com/anchors/ste...-for-concrete/ and a flat head cap screw in when not is use if you go the floor mounting route.

I like the press idea which makes for another project that you can share with us all as we cheer you on.

TX
                    Mr fixit for the family
                    Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Fixit View Post
                      Hi RB211,

I agree with LKeithR as I have one and it does not bend a smooth angle. Radius and such OK, but still loose in the joints so consistency is lacking for more than one.
                      I did put this anchor https://www.mcmaster.com/anchors/ste...-for-concrete/ and a flat head cap screw in when not is use if you go the floor mounting route.

I like the press idea which makes for another project that you can share with us all as we cheer you on.

TX
                      Mr fixit for the family
                      Chris
                      This is quickly going down an even deeper rabbit hole, but the lessons learned and skills gained from it will be invaluable.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                        The dogleg could be done on a press brake with gooseneck tooling,
                        but that is a high dollar production machine. Maybe machine up a
                        forming die to make the dogleg if you are making a bunch.
                        That bender you pictured might work for the other bend.
                        Remember you will need a mandrel with a radius smaller than the 3/4"
                        because of spring back..

--D
                        Doozer is right, a joggle die and press for that tight bend. Not a walk in the park with that small radius. Also cut / buy the material with the right grain direction. If wrong it will crack for sure.
                        Last edited by Fasturn; 02-02-2021, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post

No, I just happen to have access to all of the blue prints from Aircorp library. I want to recreate the cockpit for flight simulation, starting with the thrust quadrant. Had I bought bitcoin at 12$ when my friend told me to, I'd have one to show you.
                          That Aircorp library is a fascinating site. I've always enjoyed pouring over old manuals and literature from anything mechanical. Gotta be carefull that I don't go on a spending spree. Here's the link for those who might be interested: https://aircorpslibrary.com/

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

I used to work at Moog Inc. in Elma NY. I worked in the motion simulator division. We made them for flight simulators. Also used in rides like Body Wars and Jumanji or something. They were electric ballscrew actuators in a hexapod configuration. We used to test them with a stack of I-beams, with a pilots seat on top. We also had a giant stuffed animal bear that we put in the pilots seat, he he he he. We were in plant 15B, right next to the HydroPoint fellows (long dead now).

-Doozer
                          Wow. There's a blast from the past. Haven't heard that name in a while. Ran a Moog HydroPoint decades ago. Any truth to the rumor we were told that those things leaked oil all over the floor from the day they were made? It seems like there was always more speedi-dri on the floor than metal chips. And those air solenoids clanking away. The sound of productivity........

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Fixit View Post
                            TX
                            Mr fixit for the family
                            Chris
                            Yes Chris! IMO for a home shop these anchors are a nice lil way to make a configurable work space. I have them all over my garage floor for different projects.

When done blow the anchor out with compressed air, slip a lil antiseize on a flat head cap screw and move on.

My slab is 5" thick so your needs might vary.

RB, I have many swap meet anchors from way back. These are 5/8" I think. Freebie to you if you can use them (more if you need). Just pay the small box USPS. JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	five eight concrete.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	4.29 MB
ID:	1925705

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Yes Chris! IMO for a home shop these anchors are a nice lil way to make a configurable work space. I have them all over my garage floor for different projects.

When done blow the anchor out with compressed air, slip a lil antiseize on a flat head cap screw and move on.

My slab is 5" thick so your needs might vary.

RB, I have many swap meet anchors from way back. These are 5/8" I think. Freebie to you if you can use them (more if you need). Just pay the small box USPS. JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	five eight concrete.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	4.29 MB
ID:	1925705
                              Thank you. I have no idea how thick my concrete is, and I'll be at work for another 2 weeks. When I get home I suppose I can drill a hole to see how deep it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                                ... I can drill a hole to see how deep it goes.
                                Some years ago I went to bolt down my drill press by putting anchors in the concrete. The concrete was 3/4" thick! In the part of the house from 1910 - I guess that they didn't care so much back then. Just cover the dirt.

Sorry for the distraction.

Comment

Working...
                                X