No announcement yet.

Miniature overhead shaft machine shop model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I thought it was William Robertson, but when I googled the name, even with "models" or "modelmaker", I could not get a reference, so I thought I had the "William" wrong.

And, yes, that toolbox is one of them. There was a smaller one I saw actually sitting on top of a stamp.

Note that not only are the tools essentially perfectly exact, they even work.... as with the plane in the pic. That is just a crazy high level of realism, to the point where it needs no dirt to make it look real, you'd have to say it IS real.

And, yes, the other link is indeed the shop I was thinking of. The photos look like they were taken by a person standing on the spot and taking pics of an actual location.

The OP shop model is quite good. The "Anders" shop is at another level beyond, and W. Robinson's work is... indescribable. It is beyond "museum quality".
    2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

You fellows have missed something about a Line shaft Shop.

I was working in Wallaceburg Ontario in 1971 and by chance was invited to the machine shop of Wallaceburg Brass, just down the street
      They were a company that did plumbing faucets and custom brass castings... and It hit me when I went through the doorway.
      Here was wooden floor, overhead line shaft shop with a dozen lathes and the line shafts running.....and it was quiet !
      You could actually hear the tool bits cutting . the only noise was the soft slap of some of the belts and the tools cutting.
      You could talk normally and the tool noise told you how deep the cut was.
      A dramatic step back in history.. the following year or two, they updated to modern electric motor driven power tools and that experience faded into history
      Rich
      Green Bay, WI

Comment

Re: toolbox

is that Rivett’s work?

his stuff has always amazed me
        "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

More on Anders Malmberg...

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_anders_malmberg.html

Here's another approach to simulating reality using miniatures. Michael Smith incorporates real reality into his model displays...

https://petapixel.com/2013/10/14/lif...ective-250-ps/

and then there are model railroads...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvbg_tL9JXM
          Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
          http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post
            A work of art for sure!

Did anyone else notice that the shaper seems to be running backwards though? Maybe it's just an illusion but it seems the cutting stroke is faster than the the return stroke
            Id have to watch again but I thought the drill press was running in reverse.

Comment

OK, I found the build and showcase threads for that diorama:

https://www.modelenginemaker.com/ind...ic,7232.0.html

Sometimes my memory does work!!

Pete

Edit: I see Marv found it way before I did...
              Last edited by 10KPete; 02-03-2021, 09:33 PM.
              1973 SB 10K .
              BenchMaster mill.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Yes, and then no...... You miss the point.

. . .
                Jerry, is there nothing you won't argue about? You push everything to the end and just have to be right. It's liberating to just let it go sometimes.
                Southwest Utah

Comment

Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post

Jerry, is there nothing you won't argue about? You push everything to the end and just have to be right. It's liberating to just let it go sometimes.
                  There are plenty of things I won't argue about, since you ask. And one of them is your question or anything related to it. I will say this:

There are discussions,

There are arguments

There are violent arguments.

I think far too many people confuse the first two. And far too many more conflate the last two. Neither approach is productive. But then I am Irish and French, among other things, we enjoy discussions.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post

Id have to watch again but I thought the drill press was running in reverse.
                    Thats kinda funny. You and Fasttrack s seemed to have picked up on what you thought was an error..

This is exactly why I dont post my machining projects here.

Did you two think there might be a video issue going on here? So one belt going one way and that is the way all of them should run?

For a video you have editing. The editor might splice some things in there , or not. The camera used could influence the motion.

Golly, you guys are tougher than a 36 grit 9" sanding disc. JR
                    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                      Thats kinda funny. You and Fasttrack s seemed to have picked up on what you thought was an error..

This is exactly why I dont post my machining projects here.
                      Neither poster is an a$$hole, so not insults - merely observations of something curious. I think it is basically 'built-in'. I don't LOOK for pictures that are crooked, but if I see one, even in my peripheral, I can't HELP but to instantly notice. I (personally, not speaking for the people you mentioned) just immediately notice things that are not parallel, or square, are rotating backwards, or are mirror images, or are otherwise not as they should be. It is not being sought out, looking for errors, but it is more or less impossible for some people NOT to notice such things, to see details that the masses just plain miss (and that is a good thing). Occasionally they mention it as a curiosity, NBD.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post

Neither poster is an a$$hole, so not insults - merely observations of something curious. I think it is basically 'built-in'. I don't LOOK for pictures that are crooked, but if I see one, even in my peripheral, I can't HELP but to instantly notice. I (personally, not speaking for the people you mentioned) just immediately notice things that are not parallel, or square, are rotating backwards, or are mirror images, or are otherwise not as they should be. It is not being sought out, looking for errors, but it is more or less impossible for some people NOT to notice such things, to see details that the masses just plain miss (and that is a good thing). Occasionally they mention it as a curiosity, NBD.
                        This^^^^^^^^^^^

My mother-in-law (who is super nice and I love dearly, btw) is like that. She could walk into a room of the most beautiful palace you can imagine, and would instantly notice a chip in the paint, or tiny bit of cracked plaster, something a hair out of position.... It seems to be a talent, but yes, it can come off looking bad...... It can get a person a reputation for being "negative", never liking anything.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by plastikosmd View Post
                          Re: toolbox

is that Rivett’s work?

his stuff has always amazed me
                          No, it is Bill Robertson.

https://www.robertsonminiatures.com/

Comment

^^^^^
                            Me Too. Recently on an MC forum, a link to a CL add had multiple people fawning over a nice looking older bike. I brought to their attention two rub marks on a headlight visor and top fork clamp that pretty much alluded to the bike having slid down the wrong side of the road against a curb.

All the rosy hearts and flowers feeling just kind of evaporated, the self defensive posts appeared and I barely got one compliment from a guy for having a sharp eye. Gotta be really shrewd when guys are trying to get top dollar on old farm equipment.

The first shop I worked in had a section that was run off belts along the wall that ran shafts under the benches. A single big electric motor ran a shaft with 5 big belts that dropped down to 30 foot long benches with a single shaft, on multiple pillow blocks, running the full length and powering sewing machine size turret lathes that were Civil War vintage. They were fun to fix for a novice in a tool room. Pouring babbitt and turning oilite bronze. It was a ceramics factory and the dust ate up everything fast.
                            Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
                            9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

Originally posted by lbender View Post

No, it is Bill Robertson.

https://www.robertsonminiatures.com/
                              Same man. He goes by the screen name Rivett608 on PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
                                Neither poster is an a$$hole, so not insults - merely observations of something curious.
                                Ummm? I didnt say that they were AHs, I used a funny machining ref, 36grit will rip

No, I did not intend to say that they were what you said. Merely that is why I dont post projects here. Too many Nits to Pik. No big deal. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Working...
                                X