Automatic tire chains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic tire chains

Has anyone made or know of someone who made, their own automatic snow chains, like the on-spot or insta-chain or roto-grip systems?

https://www.onspot.com/en-US/

Home | Insta-Chain | Automatic Ice Chains

https://www.rudchainusa.com/rotogrip-about

These systems are quite pricey and look deceptively simple.

I would think it would take a lot of trial and error to make it fit and work right.
    Would be nice to be able to copy a successful unit.

TIA

Here’s a pricey tire chain system. Not simple.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

SVS, with a tire chain system like that, why would you even want to go anywhere?
      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

What a clever idea, not having to attach the chains to the wheels. Only for vehicles with plenty of ground clearance, though.

Comment

was trying to wrap my brain around this before I seen the descriptions --- unbelievable, im sure it works to some extent but lots of crazy stuff going on there, for one the chains can act like rollers between the ground and tire so not as good as standard chains, im sure it works but wow what a compromise to have hanging out there hauling around everywhere... wonder how well it works when you go to deploy and the whole mess is one big clump of frozen solid ice...

yeah Lynnl - just stay home and keep warm lol

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
            was trying to wrap my brain around this before I seen the descriptions --- unbelievable, im sure it works to some extent but lots of crazy stuff going on there, for one the chains can act like rollers between the ground and tire so not as good as standard chains, im sure it works but wow what a compromise to have hanging out there hauling around everywhere... wonder how well it works when you go to deploy and the whole mess is one big clump of frozen solid ice...

yeah Lynnl - just stay home and keep warm lol
            You might be surprised. Automatic tire chains are standard equipment for fire trucks and ambulances in many areas and they actually work very well, especially out in the country where 90% of the drive might be on a well cleared highway but the last 10% is a nasty, unplowed gravel road and the driver is trying to get there as fast as possible. Getting out to fit chains just isn't realistic in that situation.

Comment

Fire trucks and ambulances are usually always heated/garaged.... if it works it works im just stating my concerns for mainstream applications...

Comment

Fire trucks and ambulances are usually always heated/garaged.... if it works it works im just stating my concerns for mainstream applications...
                Yeah, I'm not sure about mainstream applications.

I was interested to learn, though, that in some areas ambulances go out "on duty" in the same way squad cars do. Even though there is no call, they drive continuously throughout the city because it improves response times. And firetrucks may go out on 4-5 calls per day, spending very little time in a heated garage.

One of the programs I manage at work is responsible for outfitting emergency response vehicles with CBRNE threat detectors and we particularly like cities where the vehicles are running continuously. It means a much greater likelihood of threat interdiction since the sensors are basically randomly sampling the area continuously.

Comment

There still is the flip flop and squirm factor --- even conventional chains that are mounted too loose will give this effect and can't imagine what these things would feel like - like your driving on a bunch of wiggle worms im thinking....

Comment

Sump heaters which unplug as the vehicle is driven out of its garage have been used on emergency vehicles for a long time in the UK.

Comment

They work well for fire trucks, buses, emergency vehicles etc. and do make a huge difference and are a time saver for sure when time is of the essence. But when the going gets tough they do not perform as well as regular chains.

They can also raise confidence levels to the point that they will get you into trouble.
                      Like getting up a slope and then while trying to turn around wheel speed is too slow to have centrifugal force throw them under the tires. That's when you slip into the ditch hopefully and not over the bank!

Also under adverse conditions on a dual tire application, much like singles, once you spin a wheel the chain assisted tire will dig a trough while the other tire unaided sits on the ice spinning. leaving you going nowhere, hopefully.
                      They do however work well enough to make them a viable option, way better than nothing at all by a long shot. In the little village near where I live however fire trucks will be wearing a set of triples most of the winter in order to assure that they will get there. Better to wear out a set of chains on bare pavement when not needed then to lose a house. Part of the cost of doing business.

In the province of British Columbia they are legal to use on commercial vehicles up to 12,000KG, anything above that and conventional chains are mandated.
                      Even then I believe singles should not be allowed on combination vehicles for the very reason I mentioned previously regarding the, spin a wheel and dig a hole scenario, leaving the unchained tire high and dry. This causes a lot of road closures and accidents when someone spins out.
                      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I think it's just a gimmick. Probably made by Ronko

Comment

Willy-I assume the automatic chains could handle higher road speeds?

Wouldn’t tear out the fender wells either if they came unbuckled!

Comment

There still is the flip flop and squirm factor --- even conventional chains that are mounted too loose will give this effect and can't imagine what these things would feel like - like your driving on a bunch of wiggle worms im thinking....
                            First thing I see is that unit is mounted right where all the slush and ice bergs build up and the road grit and salt hits.
                            What happens when it becomes encased in an big ice berg ? You have to get out and chip the ice off of it? The other thing I see happening is a chain getting stuck under a tire that has stopped spinning if a vehicle were stuck, so now what happens. Does this thing have some sort of a slip clutch feature?

I have an idea...... maybe they can replace the chains with brushes and use it as a street sweeper during the summer months.

JL................

Comment

Originally posted by SVS View Post
                              Willy-I assume the automatic chains could handle higher road speeds?

Wouldn’t tear out the fender wells either if they came unbuckled!
                              I have not had a lot of personal experience with other than just to try them out so most of my info is anecdotal but I believe that the recommendation is no more than 30 mph, although I have seen them used much faster. Not sure what the long term effects of this would have on the unit.

Mind you it is not recommended to use conventional chains beyond 30 mph either yet with a good fitting set of triples I have used them at up to 50-55 mph too many times to count. Mind you I install chains tight and have always kept them in good condition. Also I have always had lots of clearance so that if I did break a crosslink the flailing link could not cause any damage, on a close fitting fender etc. it could cause some nasty damage if a crosslink let go.

Not sure how the imbalance scenario would play out if one or two of the chains on an auto-chain broke.

JoeLee brings up a good point about snow and ice build up. I have talked to those that had them and yet when they needed them they would not function due to hours of road time encasing them in a ball of frozen slush when needed.They would deploy yet not being a clean round little wheel any more they would simply rub a against the tire as a block of ice.

Regular chains installed properly should not become unhooked, but yes it can happen and hopefully it goes to the outside where it simply falls off onto the road. If it goes to the inside as if the outside rail should let go, then it will do a lot of damage when it wraps around the axle.
                              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Working...
                              X