Automatic tire chains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
    First thing I see is that unit is mounted right where all the slush and ice bergs build up and the road grit and salt hits.
    What happens when it becomes encased in an big ice berg ? You have to get out and chip the ice off of it? The other thing I see happening is a chain getting stuck under a tire that has stopped spinning if a vehicle were stuck, so now what happens. Does this thing have some sort of a slip clutch feature?

I have an idea...... maybe they can replace the chains with brushes and use it as a street sweeper during the summer months.

JL................
    Yes I brought up the frozen solid clunk of useless nothing back in post #5 --- Im sure were bringing up a reality, I mean if simple rear parking brake cables can and do have a rough time with stuff like this chains and all their surface area sure will too...

How about some kinda rock feeder right in front of the tires, then a scoop right behind that picks them all back up --- ships them to a quick processor unit to get the snow and ice back off of them and then re-purpose them directly in front of the tires again... that's what this chain system reminds me of..

Seriously --- maybe time to just invent tires that if you drop all their pressure by 20 pounds carbide studs appear in fact just running good snow tires with studs gives amazing traction and would cover about 90% of the concern without all the limitations and hillbilly tech...

Comment

18 years driving with Onspots and all I can report is they work.
      They are up and out of the way until you engage them.
      If you start slipping they speed up right along with the tires so no lag or rolling.
      Never a problem icing up.
      Only problem ever is the air cans rotting out and the mechanics installed new ones.
      Len

Comment

Originally posted by QSIMDO View Post
        18 years driving with Onspots and all I can report is they work.
        They are up and out of the way until you engage them.
        If you start slipping they speed up right along with the tires so no lag or rolling.
        Never a problem icing up.
        Only problem ever is the air cans rotting out and the mechanics installed new ones.
        Well QSIMDO can't argue with that along with Willy's experience, don't know how they do it when like I said even typical parking brake cables can have a rough time staying free and not icing up but you guys are the last word, one question --- Are they not wiggly behaving?
        i mean your basically tossing out a loose chain under a tire to do what it wants under pressure like rotate and squirm no? I know from experience of just using conventional chains that are attached to each other that if you don't get them on right and tight then they experience this same thing - although they can only do it so much and then they have to behave, not so with the onspots

Comment

Since they're driven by the tire and spinning at the same rate, no squirm at all.
          I should explain here to that we didn't use them for mile after mile driving.
          Get in a jam and they were perfect, pull them back up when out of trouble.
          Early years, even though I was driving a Howe Coleman International, ice storms we'd have to mount regular chains and
          I hated the damn things.
          Couldn't get any speed!
          My last truck was a 6x6 International with Onspots, never got stuck and even went to help out others who were.
          Onspots were great.
          Len

Comment

That makes more sense if it's not mile after mile like you said, it's a bizarre way of doing things, hear of any getting bumped by ice chunks in the road and then wrapping around a propeller shaft? lol

Comment

has anybody seen these chains in europe?

my suspition is they are for flat country and for vehicles where its impractical to mount snow tires. real, new snow tires are amazing.

Comment

Working...
              X