No announcement yet.

Making a chuck key..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing fancy, I needed a longer one in a hurry a while back and just cobbled this up on the fly real quick.
    A couple of pieces of hot rolled, drilled out the bottom of the main part of the key, cross drilled it at the bottom for a couple of welds to hold the "tool steel" (1026) bar that I milled the appropriate sized flats on. Not a project to build a shrine around but it got me back in the ball game real fast.

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Instead of a T I put the cross piece half way down. That way I have two ends for two diffeent chucks (two lathes). As you probably guessed the key is always over on the other lathe....

Comment

I just turned one in it's entirety and pressed it together. 16" handle for a 9/16" key, seems to be about right. Using a steel you can harden on the square is a good idea.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7584ECS.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	1926442

I've got a fair few keys to make in the future, so I made an Excel driven cad model. I was working a few kinks out of it today, and once I've got my drafts up and done, it should be as simple as changing a few values til it looks right, then hitting print. Rinse and repeat.
        21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
        1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

One option I do have, I have the smaller camlock change key...I could make a shim for it to use it at least while a make another key...

Comment

A tool that’s regularly used needs to be easy on the hands when you lean on it. I keep a collection of old knobs for just such use. I picked up a 6” Buck Chuck that was in good shape. The wrench that came with was not up to my standards. The replacement is typical of what I need for a chuck wrench.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Wrench.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	1926626 Click image for larger version

Name:	New Wrench.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	1926627

Comment

Ike

Your wrench turned out great .

Hal

Comment

Wel, today I used a 1/2 drive extension, , with a shim that fit 2 sides of the square, then hooked it to a 3/8 ratchet with adaptor to 1/2 inch.
                that seems to work ... to get me going... I am hoping the original chuck key shows up..

Comment

Working...
                X