This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kendall View Post

My daughter was told that her youngest daughter had to be quarantined for two weeks because her boyfriend's mother had tested positive, but her oldest daughter was still required to go to school.
    With that type of behavior by the school, I still can't understand why my county was one of the lowest for covid cases in Michigan.
    That does sound odd. But then again, the number of cases (per capita) that you detect depends a lot on your testing methodology. In our area, testing is free and anyone who has any concerns is encouraged to be tested. They even did a "baseline" survey for a couple months where everyone was encouraged to be tested even if there were no symptoms and no contacts. Obviously, we had a higher rate than surrounding counties because we looked for those cases. Where my mom lives (Oregon) the county directed doctors not to test unless the person had contact with an infected person AND had multiple symptoms. They only acknowledged 11 cases out of a county of 100,000 people.

Dan

At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

My daughter was told that her youngest daughter had to be quarantined for two weeks because her boyfriend's mother had tested positive, but her oldest daughter was still required to go to school.
      With that type of behavior by the school, I still can't understand why my county was one of the lowest for covid cases in Michigan.
      If I understood your explanation correctly it is pretty much same in here too. Our kiddo is at quarantine at home but we(parents) are free to go as we please.
      Quarantine is only one step ahead from the tested positive cases. If kiddo gets symptoms or tests positive then we would be also in quarantine.

What is bit crazy in here is that if you get tested positive you need to isolate at home with rest of the family in quarantine in the same house!
      Sometimes the entire family has to stay several weeks in quarantine/isolation when the virus is infecting new family member one at a turn.
      (IIRC if there is old people or immunocompromised people living in the same household then they isolate you in a hospital)

Comment

You have to draw the line somewhere. In this case mother-boyfriend-daughter is a risk, add one more step to it, mother-boyfriend-daughter-daughter and it's not. May not be logical but the chain of contact can go on and on.
        George
        Traverse City, MI

Comment

• Originally posted by MattiJ View Post

If I understood your explanation correctly it is pretty much same in here too. Our kiddo is at quarantine at home but we(parents) are free to go as we please.
          Quarantine is only one step ahead from the tested positive cases. If kiddo gets symptoms or tests positive then we would be also in quarantine.

What is bit crazy in here is that if you get tested positive you need to isolate at home with rest of the family in quarantine in the same house!
          Sometimes the entire family has to stay several weeks in quarantine/isolation when the virus is infecting new family member one at a turn.
          (IIRC if there is old people or immunocompromised people living in the same household then they isolate you in a hospital)
          Here in the UK it doesn't work quite like that. Take a family of four adults as an example:

Person 1 gets (tested positive for) covid, they have to isolate for 10 days, rest of the household does too.
          Person 2 gets covid 2 days later, they have to start a new 10-day isolation. Person 1,3 and 4 stay with the original isolation
          Person 3 gets covid 2 days after person 2. They start a new 10 day isolation. Person 1 and 4 stay with person 1's isolation period. Person 2 stays with their own isolaion period from when they got it.
          Person 4 gets covid 3 days after person 3. They now start a new 10 day isolation 3 days before person 1 is due to finish theirs.

So the longest you can be in enforced isolation, unless you get notified as a close contact by an entirely separate event, is 20 days. Supposing you don't continue on with fever or work in a care home when it's mandatory 14 days not 10.
          Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
          Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
          Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post

Ridiculous.

Has it occurred to you that the flu should be much less common with so many people staying home, wearing masks, social distancing, washing hands?

-js
            It's not that simple, there were a large number of "assumed" Covid cases. Because so many of the symptoms between the Flu and Covid overlap, if the PCR test came back negative for Covid, but the symptoms matched close enough, Covid was assumed. Also Covid tests didn't delineate between Covid and the Flu, so if you went for testing and didn't get swabbed and tested for both, it's really a crap shoot for which one you had. There is a new test that can delineate between Flu A&B and Covid, but it's only now just coming online-

https://ir.perkinelmer.com/news-rele...ntiate-between

It is also possible to have both at once, the true number of which is still being determined. At the hospital my brother nurses at, they have done the double swab test since day one and 15% have tested positive for both, those people also proved to be very sick.

According to the CDC- Yes. It is possible have flu, as well as other respiratory illnesses, and COVID-19 at the same time. Health experts are still studying how common this can be.

Some of the symptoms of flu and COVID-19 are
            similar, making it hard to tell the difference between them based on symptoms alone. Diagnostic testing can help determine if you are sick with flu or COVID-19.

So no, I don't think the Flu has gone anywhere, it's just blended into the back ground.
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• I hadn't heard anything about flu giving false CO19 test results.
              In the UK, there has been some interest in supplying certain at risk people with pulse oxymeters. Early self testing for oxygen levels is helping with early treatment which has a better prognosis.

Comment

• Originally posted by Willy View Post
                I received this link almost two months ago and had intended to post it on these pages earlier but feared that it might turn into a political football but hopefully it won't given the timeline of events since then.

The webpage is a very interesting and dynamic one that covers the most common causes of deaths for just about every country on the planet. The page is a fluid one that illustrates how Covid-19 numbers relate to other causes of death. The timeline starts on the fist of March 2020 and continues right up to today, so it does change slightly daily.
                The default country shown will be Canada as that is how I received it but you can change countries at any point and or compare how different countries are handling the situation.

Very Graphic and interesting.

SELECTED DEATHS vs COVID-19
                This is very interesting . What I find amazing is the number of deaths in the more 1st world countries due to Alzheimer's and dementia. I would love to know why..
                In my country ,S Africa its scary to see the deaths due to HIV and violence and I would think violence was way down due to a hard lockdown and no alcohol sales.

Comment

• For the 20 years since I purchased my first home here in El Paso County, I have had on my tax bill an amount taken out for a county hospital. Ten years ago this month when I got serious burns to both shins at the refinery, I was rushed to their ER and spent 6 hrs being mishandled and then tossed out at 3 am in 22 degrees. I’ve never had a nice thing to say about that place... Until today.

I arrived early at the, county hospital run, mass vaccination facility. A sports/rodeo colosseum. From the moment the parking lot security checked my ID against an appointment list, I was part of a well oiled machine that sucked me in and spit me out with a Pfizer vaccination in my left deltoid and a whole new opinion of that hospital management team and the magnificent folks who were the boots on the ground at that extremely well set up and efficient site.
                  Those thousands of greenbacks I laid out in taxes have apparently helped after all.

I’m getting chills just thinking about it.

Actually I’ve been in la la land for a while now with chills, mild vertigo and left arm soreness.

Kudos to University Medical Center El Paso TX.

The city run side is a debacle and getting more and more people enraged with their ongoing mistakes.
                  They’re getting ravaged in the nightly news.

I got lucky in the vaccine lottery.

Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
                  9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

• This is a long post and it may have been brought up but it seems there is a cheap wonder drug called ivermectin that is apparently very effective.Is it in use in other countries.

Comment

• Originally posted by plunger View Post
                      This is a long post and it may have been brought up but it seems there is a cheap wonder drug called ivermectin that is apparently very effective.Is it in use in other countries.
                      Seems like it is in limited use https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti.../covid19/90552
                      "not invented here" syndrome

Ivermectin was speculated as a effective treatment already almost a year ago so I guess it wasnt total success.
                      Last edited by MattiJ; 02-10-2021, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Seems like it is in limited use https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti.../covid19/90552

Ivermectin was speculated as a effective treatment already almost a year ago so I guess it wasnt total success.
                        I'm not so sure that it was "not invented here". It's more likely a reaction to the study's main proponent refusing to do a double blind study with placebo.

Dan
                        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim The Grim View Post
                          For the 20 years since I purchased my first home here in El Paso County, I have had on my tax bill an amount taken out for a county hospital. Ten years ago this month when I got serious burns to both shins at the refinery, I was rushed to their ER and spent 6 hrs being mishandled and then tossed out at 3 am in 22 degrees. I’ve never had a nice thing to say about that place... Until today.

I arrived early at the, county hospital run, mass vaccination facility. A sports/rodeo colosseum. From the moment the parking lot security checked my ID against an appointment list, I was part of a well oiled machine that sucked me in and spit me out with a Pfizer vaccination in my left deltoid and a whole new opinion of that hospital management team and the magnificent folks who were the boots on the ground at that extremely well set up and efficient site.
                          Those thousands of greenbacks I laid out in taxes have apparently helped after all.
                          My county too is usually a fustercluck, their system for registering and getting an appointment certainly is, but the actual drive-through setup for the shots is amazing! I'm set to get my 2nd Moderna on Monday. Not 60 yet, but had enough health stuff to qualify. My 87 yo mom's NJ county is a mess too, I was able with persistence of continually logging in to get her one here too. The NY Times had a quote today: “The system is set up to be a technology race between 25-year-olds and 85-year-olds,” he said. “That’s not a race, that’s elder neglect.”

Bit of odd trivia: the place where the drive through is set up is "the USS Juneau Center". Now, naval history fans may recognize that name from the story of the '5 Sullivan Brothers' who went down with her at Guadalcanal. Turns out this location in Kearny NJ is where the Cruiser Juneau was built! Most of the shipyards around here are long gone, but there's still a drydock operating on the former Marine Ocean Terminal in Bayonne, I fish by it frequently. Amazing to watch the tugs maneuver the floating gate.

Comment

Ivermectin is used in horses and dogs as a de-wormer! It has been in use since the 70's I think. It was used against heart worms in dogs. It became very popular because you only had to give it once a month instead of every day. Seems strange that it would be used to fight a virus.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

• Watching the mess in certain places, such as locally, it is really hard to not start seeing a "political" problem working it's way through..... In MO, the local officials are starting to call the State actions a "payback"...... holding up vaccine intended for areas that are politically opposed, or perceived that way, and redirecting it to areas that are politically aligned.

Whatever the true cause, political shenanigans or complete ineptness and stupidity, neither the County, the City nor the local hospital systems are getting vaccines now. They are canceling appointments in order to save what they have to cover second doses for those who already had the first.

There may be pitchforks and torches at the MO Capitol pretty soon.
                              2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                                Watching the mess in certain places, such as locally, it is really hard to not start seeing a "political" problem working it's way through..... In MO, the local officials are starting to call the State actions a "payback"...... holding up vaccine intended for areas that are politically opposed, or perceived that way, and redirecting it to areas that are politically aligned.

Whatever the true cause, political shenanigans or complete ineptness and stupidity, neither the County, the City nor the local hospital systems are getting vaccines now. They are canceling appointments in order to save what they have to cover second doses for those who already had the first.

There may be pitchforks and torches at the MO Capitol pretty soon.
                                Now we all know why you seemed to have such "keen" insight as to why the thread might get locked - numbskull, this has been valuable to many of us just to be able to talk about this stuff and pick up a little info from people we have got to know and trust --- GB even commented so while that might not be total approval at least it shows he was aware and "willing" to let it continue for the time being... put a zipper on that stuff JT, why ruin it for everyone?

Comment

Working...
                                X