Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O.T. "A touch of the covid"

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

    Dan, from the papers and studies I have been reading it's still a crap shoot as to who gets it. A large and growing percentage of the population has had the virus and zero response to it. The next largest group have had it and reported mild symptoms, the third group have had it and suffered flu symptoms, the fourth group required hospitalization and the smallest group died. Included in the last two are a bunch of people who wore masks and followed the rules and still got sick. This is partly due to the numerous studies that show masks are at best less than 5% effective at reducing viral transmission even with influenza.

    https://swprs.org/face-masks-evidence/

    From the CDC- https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/5/19-0994_article
    You need to look for better sources. The first link is a group dedicated to finding and uncovering conspiracies. I tend not to put trust in web sites that see conspiracies everywhere.

    The second was a link to a meta study submitted to a CDC publication by researchers in Hong Kong, China. It tried to analyze the results of previous otherwise unrelated studies of the subject. It did not even try to quantify what the source studies were calling a "mask". There was a nod towards the end that N95 rated masks were effective. There was also an admission that even makeshift masks can reduce amount of virus in the air from an infected person's cough or sneeze.

    We have used N-95 masks and hand sanitation from the beginning along with voluntary isolation whenever possible.

    Dan
    Last edited by danlb; 02-12-2021, 04:46 PM.
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

    Location: SF East Bay.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Mike Amick View Post

      You're really fond of using the words deception and lies. You seem to be saying that the scientific community of every country is doing it wrong.
      I agree that there have been many mistakes made but also believe that many of the those mistakes are being made from people that think they
      know better than the scientists. I acknowledge that your sources are from the science community, but seem to suggest that it is being ignored.

      Here in Ca restrictions are entirely based on the numbers. If an area has good numbers restrictions are minimal, if the numbers are bad they are locked down.
      Not at all what I am saying, what I am saying is every country has to find the best balance, there is no one size fits all simple answer despite people thinking there is. There are countries that did the minimum that have comparable numbers to those that went full bore. The assumption that too many people make with covid and over viruses like it , is that human to human contact is the only transmission vector.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by old mart View Post
        If wearing of masks is medically useless, why do they wear them in hospitals?
        My brother the nurse says TB & Herpes, they wear positive pressure face sheilds for covid.

        I just need one more tool,just one!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by danlb View Post
          We have used N-95 masks and hand sanitation from the beginning along with voluntary isolation whenever possible.

          Dan
          Where did you find the N95 masks, Dan? All I've been able to find are KN95. Which I use, but they're a bit small for my face.

          I've read that N95 have better fit than KN95 and are easier to breathe through. The KN95 is sorta restrictive.

          -js
          There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

          Location: SF Bay Area

          Comment


          • Australia... Yeah. They are the most strict of all. We land in Sydney, immediately get a battery of tests, are police escorted to the hotel van, police escorted in the van to the hotel, police escorted to the hotel room. You are NOT given a hotel key, and the police officer stays guard on your hotel floor until you leave, and police escorted all the way back to the airplane.
            Americans ARE NOT taking this seriously enough, mostly because we are too stupid and selfish to take it seriously enough. It is idiocracy in this country.
            When I see some one not wearing a mask, I immediate think three things.
            1)Selfish Cunt
            2)Person is stupid
            3)Selfish Cunt

            Comment


            • Don't hold back RB tell em how you really feel lol (I got that from people saying that to me all the time)

              It's a good sign coming from you though cuz that means your getting mean - and kicking the covids arss!

              Comment


              • You can say I am getting mean, all I've been doing the past 8 days is playing "Escape from Tarkov", a game that is all about hunting humans and taking their stuff to sell.

                Comment


                • I gotta check that game out... sounds like my cup of tea.

                  seriously - iv had your same thoughts on post 185 and esp. when you pretty much know there's no other reason for it than just "bucking the system"
                  Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 02-12-2021, 06:38 PM.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                    I gotta check that game out... sounds like my cup of tea.

                    seriously - iv had your same thoughts on post 185 and esp. when you pretty much know there's no other reason for it than just "bucking the system"
                    "I have RIGHTS!!!!"
                    Then all the conspiracy theories and the politicizing, completely stupid that wearing a mask has become a political statement as well? Those are the stupid people. The selfish people just don't want to wear one and refuse that they could be spreading it.

                    Comment


                    • I think it's sad everything gets politicized also, in fact im quite sure you could take something as simple as chocolate and peanut butter and if put in front and center one might go to one side and the other to the other, then before you know it you can't buy a reese's peanut butter cup to save your ass cuz their all banned...

                      no more pulling together anymore - just lug around at 1/10th power while the buzzards circle... ugh oh - back to the covid...

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by danlb View Post

                        The second was a link to a meta study submitted to a CDC publication by researchers in Hong Kong, China. It tried to analyze the results of previous otherwise unrelated studies of the subject. It did not even try to quantify what the source studies were calling a "mask". There was a nod towards the end that N95 rated masks were effective. There was also an admission that even makeshift masks can reduce amount of virus in the air from an infected person's cough or sneeze.

                        Dan
                        And that is mostly what masks are good for, but even a good mask that's fitted well blows out around the edges during a sneeze, especially once it's been on awhile an the inside gets damp. N95 do offer some protection, but it's very limited and not what the media experts are making them out to be.

                        I just need one more tool,just one!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post

                          Where did you find the N95 masks, Dan? All I've been able to find are KN95. Which I use, but they're a bit small for my face.

                          I've read that N95 have better fit than KN95 and are easier to breathe through. The KN95 is sorta restrictive.

                          -js
                          The N95 is a standard for the size of particle that gets through. I had some in my shop before the pandemic hit that I was using for dust masks. We bought a bunch of them back in 2019 when we had so much smoke in the air that the house across the street was a vague gray shape. They come in different shapes.

                          By the time that I used up that supply the only quality masks available were KN95, so I bought a hundred from Amazon. That same day my wife ordered a hundred too, without checking with me. I'm set for a long while. I reuse them a few times if I wear them in low risk situations such as dropping something off at the post office. If re-using them I will set them aside for at least 24 hours between uses. If I use it somewhere that's crowded or around someone who is 'exercising their rights' I throw it a way and get a new one.

                          I feel that I've got a good fit when I inhale and can feel the mask collapse a little. I KNOW it's just right if I can exhale without fogging my glasses.

                          Dan
                          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

                          Location: SF East Bay.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by RB211 View Post

                            "I have RIGHTS!!!!"
                            Then all the conspiracy theories and the politicizing, completely stupid that wearing a mask has become a political statement as well? Those are the stupid people. The selfish people just don't want to wear one and refuse that they could be spreading it.
                            Don't forget the media in all this, panic sells papers and fanning the flames is all the better. Local news tonight had the typical 15 minutes of covid panic even though our numbers have been in decline since mid January despite no lockdown, followed up by an "EXTREME WEATHER ALERT!!!!!!!!! " SERVE! COLD EXPECTED THIS WEEKEND RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!

                            Meanwhile in reality, it's expected to be 17*F Monday morning before it warms up to 58 by noon.
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

                              Don't forget the media in all this, panic sells papers and fanning the flames is all the better. Local news tonight had the typical 15 minutes of covid panic even though our numbers have been in decline since mid January despite no lockdown, followed up by an "EXTREME WEATHER ALERT!!!!!!!!! " SERVE! COLD EXPECTED THIS WEEKEND RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!

                              Meanwhile in reality, it's expected to be 17*F Monday morning before it warms up to 58 by noon.
                              The media has made many people cynical with their ways and biases, I'll give you that.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                                I have a pandemic buddy ...
                                Well, what ever. You guys get cranky.

                                This was the best sentence of the entire conversation.

                                Ol Mr. Boomer and another decided to Quarantine for the time needed and can interact now safely.

                                That folks is commendable to take the time an effort to keep safe and have a Buddy you can hang out with.. JR



                                My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

                                https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X