This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SLK001 View Post

Like those who have had CV-19 and have already recovered - they don't need the vaccine. The re-infection rate for people who have recovered from CV-19 is one in 10,000, or 0.01%. The natural immunity is far superior to the immunity given by vaccine. IIRC, the highest efficacy rate for the vaccine is 96%.
    Source for that information, if you please? Doesn't match what I've been reading...

-js
    There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post

Source for that information, if you please? Doesn't match what I've been reading...

-js
      Nor what I have read. Throw in the new South African variant, and prior infection makes very little difference according to what I have read. In fact the vaccine may actually do better, by at least turning a serious disease into a blamed nuisance but not one that is as life-threatening as getting it with no prior preparation.

The gov in SA has halted vaccinations due to a belief that they are worthless, but they may be making a serious mistake, due to the reduction in seriousness of the infection when one has been vaccinated. Apparently having had some other variant is not as protective as the vaccine.

I plan to get the vaccine as soon as Missouri lets it come into the state in quantity. I don't know what the holdup is, but they are parceling out tiny amounts here and there, and seem not to even want to do that much.
      Last edited by J Tiers; 02-08-2021, 08:16 PM.
      2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post

-js
        I was thinking the same, but will add this, the variants are already totally complicating this issue, and these very variants are posing new threat not just in incredible contagiousness but also more of death rates and or severe illness that i might add is already NOT responding to treatment, (one of them) so already having "covid 19" could become a moot statement and basically meaningless if it does not give you immunity towards the "next batch"

and incidentally one of the next batches in the US is doubling it's rate every 10 days...

and to think it might just be another "annual flu shot" could also be totally fake hope, for one - covid is not "seasonal and as we have witnessed works 24-7 all year round",,, along with an infection rate that we've never seen before,
        and two - has already come up with multiple variants and it's just getting started --- so maybe think of it as a once every 3 months "booster shot for the rest of your life"

one thing im absolutely sure of -- this stuff ain't going away - it's here forever - or as long as we exist... we will never "knock covid out" catz out of the bag folks --- just mother nature taking care of an ignorant species that did not head thousands of early warning signs and got a little too big for it's britches, hang on folks - time for our spanking and it's going to be outright brutal...

Comment

It may be that the precautions that have been taken, combined with the mask refusers, are CREATING more contagious versions.

Normally, "more contagious" would mean that it takes less "virus load" to make you sick.

And, normally, a virus that kills too many of its victims dies out for lack of hosts. Covid kills some easily and rapidly, but not "too many" to survive.

So, if you have a lot of folks using masks that work fairly well, then the only virus that survives is the one that takes much less virus to make you sick. That alone would not do it, as the number of infected folks would be low, and the masks do work reasonably, especially the N95, and many KN95.

But with a HUGE population of folks who will not wear a mask (some places have even FORBIDDEN masks if you come in their store), or those who wear one , but in a way that does not work well*, now you have a big population who can harbor the variants and spread them fast.

It's a recipe for uncontrolled spreading. And the US is a prime incubator for virus due to the number of people who refuse to wear a mask. I expect the problem to multiply rapidly. The US, and maybe europe, may become the prime reservoirs of disease.

Meanwhile, India and China put in mask mandates, and Covid is or at least was, vanishing "magically".... In china it seems not to be a factor anymore, although new types may be imported. If you look at that percentage of deaths graph for India, it is still low on the list, and declining.

* Many people put the mask over their mouth but NOT their nose. Or they wear it, but under their chin. Or they use the "surgical" style masks loosely with folds and huge direct airflow in and out the sides. And,of course those who use the extremely thin "see-thru gaiter style neck masks" etc........
          Last edited by J Tiers; 02-08-2021, 08:45 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

Have to agree JT --- but so far i think we (US) with all our negligence have not created any known new strains,,, but also believe that's just a matter of time and if it's already not happened and we just don't have it on radar yet, and we do have to be careful with the stats we get from places like china cuz yeah as we know they don't play fair...

Most of my small town is on board with the precautions - but there are some businesses (and i won't mention any names) that are totally polar opposite even against state law,

with all were talking about it is a great thing that this thread has not gotten locked, but I think if we continue to just exchange and not get upset then maybe GB will actually see this thread as an overall worthwhile positive thing - I hope, I actually learned how vit. d3 is produced from sunshine on our skin and never knew it was a "bug" that's incredible...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
              Have to agree JT --- but so far i think we (US) with all our negligence have not created any known new strains,,, but also believe that's just a matter of time and if it's already not happened and we just don't have it on radar yet, and we do have to be careful with the stats we get from places like china cuz yeah as we know they don't play fair...

Most of my small town is on board with the precautions - but there are some businesses (and i won't mention any names) that are totally polar opposite even against state law,

with all were talking about it is a great thing that this thread has not gotten locked, but I think if we continue to just exchange and not get upset then maybe GB will actually see this thread as an overall worthwhile positive thing - I hope, I actually learned how vit. d3 is produced from sunshine on our skin and never knew it was a "bug" that's incredible...
              Some of the variants here that are like UK and SA seem to have developed independently.... single cases with no known connections to either place. So do not count on that, it seems to be a built-in capability

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Nor what I have read. Throw in the new South African variant, and prior infection makes very little difference according to what I have read. In fact the vaccine may actually do better, by at least turning a serious disease into a blamed nuisance but not one that is as life-threatening as getting it with no prior preparation.

The gov in SA has halted vaccinations due to a belief that they are worthless, but they may be making a serious mistake, due to the reduction in seriousness of the infection when one has been vaccinated. Apparently having had some other variant is not as protective as the vaccine.

I plan to get the vaccine as soon as Missouri lets it come into the state in quantity. I don't know what the holdup is, but they are parceling out tiny amounts here and there, and seem not to even want to do that much.
                I read recently where the new single dose vaccine from Johnson&Johnson that should be available here soon was tested in SA as well as here and has been found to work against that strain. Sounds too good to be true, but worth watching.

Comment

Does not matter in Missouri.....

I am in group 1b for eligibility. So is my wife. That means we are currently eligible. I have put in at a number of locations where you "register" for a chance to get the vaccine, some weeks ago. The large local hospital system sent me an email tonight saying "thanks for registering, we are not receiving vaccine from the state, but as soon as we do we can start vaccinating. There are currently 330,000 people registered with us. It may be several weeks or longer before we receive supplies of the vaccine".

Translated, that means "we'll get to you next year".

The County has the same problem. They are trying to set up to do 5000 people per day. There are a million people in the county, so it will take 200 days to finish that task.... starting now, that should put it into September, If they started now and did do 5000 per day. But, they got another 3900 doses this week..... That is a bit short of the 5000 per day, so it may really take until this time next year.

I don't want to go all political here, but look up MO in the news, we are pretty notorious..... Not a place that believes there is any such thing as Covid, nor that there is any need for vaccines. You can get vaccines if you live out in the rural areas, but St Louis city and county (they are separate) are not getting any.

The actual relevant part of the message:
                  • Currently, demand far exceeds our supply. Even those eligible to receive the vaccine are likely to wait several weeks or longer until we receive allocations from the state.
                  • We will contact you to schedule as soon as your eligibility window and our vaccine supply allow.
                  I did not realize how screwed up this was until recently. Some folks need to be handed their heads.
                  Last edited by J Tiers; 02-09-2021, 01:25 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

On a positive note, Pfizer announced last week that they will soon be able to double their production. I hope the other producer of vaccine do likewise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post

-js

Here's the link: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....15.21249731v1

Comment

• I live in Iowa the current dumb ass Republican governor just removed the limited mask mandate!! The GOP folks Still think its a Hoax and are not concerned about people dying, people die everyday. Yes masks stopped the Covid-19 in all common sense counties as it stopped the one in 1918 yet the USA leads the world in per capita deaths. How smart is that??

Regardless I got my first shot of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday. Made me very tired, of course when your 77 that does not take much. Two Tylenol before bed and I slept like a baby. Arm is sore, Boo Who but that is it today.

Here if you sign up as a member at either CVS or Walgreens that is the ticket to get shots. They are getting the vaccine on regular shipments.
                        Last edited by wmgeorge; 02-09-2021, 10:12 AM.
                        Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

• Gosh Iowa is a stupid as Missouri.

But at least they are not blocking the distribution of vaccines in Iowa. In Missouri, you can get vaccinated as long as you do not live in an area that the Governor does not like.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

• Jerry : I could almost repeat word for word your second to last post, just changing "Missouri" to Washington

I'm also, 1b.. sure, some are getting it, but tried many places in the past two weeks "not taking any appointments for reservations at this time". My medical group (big) won't even put me on a list to call me when they can...

Comment

• Taking vitamin D3 and wearing a mask have never been sure fire anti Covid measures, but they are proven to help. And every bit of help we can get is a good thing.
                              A particularly anti vaccine "doctor" who influences many people, actually is involved in a business selling alternate remedies.

Comment

• You guys get vaccines? Our government may have dropped that ball...
                                Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X