Something followed me home!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something followed me home!

I'm not sure what I've gotten into, but this thing followed me home yesterday.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Vitَria, Brazil

Tell us what it is.

Comment

I'm hoping you guys can help me learn a little about it. My largest lathe 'til now is a SB 13" tool room style.

This one is older than I am, has some wear and tear, but I believe it can still do a lot of work.

I'm not planning a "restoration". Just something to use.

It has all inch threads and metric threads. The cross slide is pretty tight. The chuck is junk.

I need to know if it is MT4 or MT5.

Also, I'm going to post some other pictures of parts that I don't know what are.
      Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

More pictures.
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.
        Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

The head has some play in it. It seems to a bearing mount. Can these be tightened?
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
          Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

What is this for? It seems to have had some kind of motor.
            Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

What does this lever do?
              Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

What is this little box about?
                Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

I am re posting the other pictures on this thread instead of the "More Pics" one.
                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
                  Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

That lever in post #7 looks to be a clamp to lock the tail stock down to the bed, for example when turning between centers or drilling with a tail stock drill. Likely turns an eccentric that presses a plate up under the ways.

(I answered this one because it was the easy one - the others are more mysterious!)
                    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
                      That lever in post #7 looks to be a clamp to lock the tail stock down to the bed, for example when turning between centers or drilling with a tail stock drill. Likely turns an eccentric that presses a plate up under the ways.

(I answered this one because it was the easy one - the others are more mysterious!)
                      That's what I would have thought, but it doesn't seem to lock it down. The big nut on the other side does though.
                      Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

VDF RO lathe. It is a lever tailstock lock, the front nut needs to be adjusted so the lever accurted cam can tighten against the underside of the ways.

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post

Also for hauling it home so the tailstock is still there when you get there. I've run into a couple of people who lost the tailstocks by not locking them down while in transit.
                          OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                            VDF RO lathe. It is a lever tailstock lock, the front nut needs to be adjusted so the lever accurted cam can tighten against the underside of the ways.
                            Great. That helps. One thing answered. Thank you! Any info about the bearing on the head stock? Or do I just have to take apart and find out?
                            Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                              It sounds like you know this lathe. Right beside where the lever connects is a hole that looks like something was broken off out broken out. Any idea what that might be?
                              Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

Working...
                              X