Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O.T. If you thought your day job was boring...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. If you thought your day job was boring...

Probably a prototype, that will be automated for sure. Or there will be lots of suicides by apple peeling/coring/slicing machine. I sure couldn't do that all day.

Comment

Probably not an "industrial" machine but for use in a restaurant/kitchen facility so the operator would only use it for a short-ish time.
      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

That reminds me of the downspout nipple threading machine I ran as a kid at my father's machine shop.

It was back in the day of wooden house gutters and galvanized sheet metal pipe downspouts. A local foundry cast aluminium nipples and we threaded the ends to screw into the wood gutters. My father adapted a small turret lathe into a threading machine for these things and I personally threaded some 30,000 of them in my days.

It was by far the most boring job imaginable. And definitely on par with poking the apples onto the spike seen here. Doing that more than anything is what made me stay in school to ensure that I didn't get stuck in any sort of production line style job.
        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I've done way more boring jobs than that

Comment

I really don't give a hoot what the job is, as long as the pay is good.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
              I really don't give a hoot what the job is, as long as the pay is good.
              I don't really know, but I suspect the apple processor loader job is not likely in the "high wage earner" category. But hey, someone has to load the apple processor machine and it's an honest day's pay...

Comment

What makes it worse is that he's loading the same apple every time. Talk about Groundhog Day!

George B.

Comment

I'd rather do something interesting for less money, but that's a luxury you must be able to afford.
                  I spent a summer dividing tulip bulbs by hand, I'm glad I have a more interesting job now....

Comment

That's actually somewhat the equivalent of what some "modern" machinists do, just different "materials" lol

im surprised at that dudes apple stabbing accuracy --- at least three of them looked like they were + - .025" concentric --- not too shabby....

Comment

Back in the 1968 I had a job in the summer holidays in a pretty rough sub contract machine shop. Make 10,000 brass rings from 3/4" dia bar, drill 1/4" and part off 1/4" thick. On a well worn Ward 2A capstan (It had 'War Finish stencilled on the back of the bed) with manual collet chuck. Having done that, mount the brass rings in a fixture and drill radially, twice, tapping size for 6BA. Guess what next? Yes! mount in another fixture and tap the holes 6BA. After 4 weeks, I hated the sight of those brass rings, and I never did find out what they were for.
                      I think the company only made a profit on them because they were paying me £10 a week, and a proper machinist was getting £20 a week.
                      'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

Reminds me of a stop at McDonalds in Port Credit Ontario. I went inside and was greeted by a very cheerful young lady wanting to guide me through the use of their new order and payment kiosk. I got the somewhat sad impression that she would be handed a pink slip the coming days or weeks. Sort of like our apple loader here, or weaving your own noose?
                        S E Michigan

Comment

I applied for a job at a blown film extruder, maintainance, got the job found the job was a con, no maintenance I ended up as a machine operator, awful experience, 5 million counter bags a shift, mind numbing, I complained the boss (prick) set out to sack me, I made a roll of plastic 5 microns ott, suspended.
                          fortunately they forgot I was suspended on full pay for 6 months, meanwhile started at the local steel plant 3 days after, bad luck followed by good, never happened since, there are some horrible jobs to be had!
                          Mark

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                            im surprised at that dudes apple stabbing accuracy --- at least three of them looked like they were + - .025" concentric --- not too shabby....
                            As Georgineer said above, it's the same apple over and over. Notice a couple of lighter color streaks on the apple.
                            Also notice there's never a core ejected out of that tube (the outboard end.)

(But hopefully there'll be enough for a small pie, or at least an apple turnover.)
                            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post

It's the same apple over and over. Notice a couple of light color streaks on the apple.
                              Also notice there's never a core ejected out of that tube (the outboard end.)

(But hopefully there'll be enough for a small pie, or at least an apple turnover.)
                              oh man i been dooped lol i thought i seen at least one that was a little more off than the "others" --- stay in school kids damn... lol

Comment

Working...
                              X