Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O.T. If you thought your day job was boring...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some jobs are all about attitude. Had a young guy punching holes on an iron worker. I said to him that if he went any slower he'd fall asleep. He said he hates this job and it was going to take a long time. I gave him another job and put another guy on it. I came back out and this guy is just flying through the parts. He says "I hate this job and I am going to finish it today!" First guy was gone a few days later. He is a relative of a neighbor who says 20 years later and he is still worthless too!

Comment

Originally posted by Georgineer View Post
      What makes it worse is that he's loading the same apple every time. Talk about Groundhog Day!

George B.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisyphus

Comment

If that's what the dark underworld is all about you can count me out,,, I thought it was just drinking with my old friends in kinda a balmy temperature setting and occasional someone got jabbed a little with a hot pitch fork... you know - kinda like highschool in the summer months...

Comment

Line from the Chernobyl miniseries-

"What is as big as a house,
          Burns 20 liters of fuel every hour,
          Puts out a s***load of smoke and noise,
          and cuts an Apple into three pieces?

A Soviet machine made to cut an Apple into four pieces!

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Work smarter, not harder. Get good with finances, stock market, cryptocurrencies. Have your money make money. Invest the principle. This is why 3phase Lightbulb said, "The easiest thing to do is make money"

Comment

Yeah and look how well off he was, all kinds of ways to gauge success and money barely even enters the equation for some of us, although you could tell it was top on his list,,, not saying to have to work so hard that nothing ever comes from it but I always want to earn my keep - stock market is far from that in fact makes the list of one of Gandhi's 7 blunders that plaque mankind, wealth without work --- think everyone can do that? on who's back did the funds come from... almost kinda just another form of entitlements if you ask me - work hard - play hard and in fact it really does seem like if you do work hard you get to enjoy things more when you do kick back --- place is set up really cool that way...

Comment

Reminds me of when I worked in the screw machine shop.
                They had an Acme-Gridley set up as a chucker.
                Feed parts in to the jaws and let it do the secondary operations at multiple stations.

When I came home wife could tell by the cutting oil smell..............

Comment

Also, looks like the peelings are going into the same place as the slices!

Comment

When I was a kid, I had a job picking apples in a large orchard, talk about mind numbing!
                    Sarge41

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                      Work smarter, not harder. Get good with finances, stock market, cryptocurrencies. Have your money make money. Invest the principle. This is why 3phase Lightbulb said, "The easiest thing to do is make money"
                      Until you become a slave to all the stuff you've accumulated that you believe signifies wealth or being well off.
                      3Watt isn't someone I'd emulate.

Comment

Originally posted by Corbettprime View Post
                        Also, looks like the peelings are going into the same place as the slices!
                        There is a clear plastic shroud over the peeling station that diverts the slices away from the peelings.
                        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by alanganes View Post
                          I've learned a new word! All I need to do now is to work 'sisyphean' into my conversation.

George B.

Comment

Originally posted by Georgineer View Post

I've learned a new word! All I need to do now is to work 'sisyphean' into my conversation.

George B.
                            HA! Here is a potential lead in:
                            "So I was reading about this new apple peeling machine on the internet..."

Comment

Some jobs are all about attitude. Had a young guy punching holes on an iron worker. I said to him that if he went any slower he'd fall asleep. He said he hates this job and it was going to take a long time. I gave him another job and put another guy on it. I came back out and this guy is just flying through the parts. He says "I hate this job and I am going to finish it today!" First guy was gone a few days later. He is a relative of a neighbor who says 20 years later and he is still worthless too!
                              My shop instructor told us something like "The smart foreman gives the difficult job to the laziest guy in the shop. He'll figure out the easiest way to do it." After 50+ years this has stuck with me.
                              "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post

My shop instructor told us something like "The smart foreman gives the difficult job to the laziest guy in the shop. He'll figure out the easiest way to do it." After 50+ years this has stuck with me.
                                I heard that from my dad probably 70 years ago or more (I'm 88) . :-)
                                ...lew...

Comment

Working...
                                X