Motor options for a rather large lathe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

Only difference between 3 phase and single phase input is the rating and whether there is a software limit. Otherwise there is no difference.
    Thank you Guys.

This is looking more promising.

I will call Nord tomorrow. They have a UK number.

It's nearly 1AM and I really should go to bed now!

Up early for work in the morning and I need all the beauty sleep I can get... so my wife tells me!

Will update.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonesy View Post
      My search (mainly ebay... where else in the UK?) has so far not turned up any Yuasa or Hitachi drives.
      Yuasa make batteries. Try Yaskawa.
      Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
      Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
      Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

My search (mainly ebay... where else in the UK?) has so far not turned up any Yuasa or Hitachi drives. Loads of chinese, and some very expensive well known drives.

Been offered a deal on a 1.5KW Parker (which I've never heard of).

Nothing to get me excited yet. But time is on my side.

I've got a mitsubishi 0.4KW running my mini lathe and that's been perfect, but nothing available for the big one yet.

If I wanted 3PH input they are half the price and in abundance.

And I won't chance a chinese fire-starter in my wooden workshop.

I think I'll sell the Nord and put that money toward the new drive.
        arent you getting a bit paranoid about the "fire-starters"? just get what you need from ebay and be done.

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post

arent you getting a bit paranoid about the "fire-starters"? just get what you need from ebay and be done.

If 'getting a bit paranoid' means not wanting some cheap chinese crap liable to go up in smoke, and not wanting to waste the money I work hard for, then....

"YES. I AM GETTING A BIT PARANOID"

Comment

The main reasons that a 3 phase input VFD must be derated when used on single phase are:

(1) The rectifiers may not be able to handle the higher current, and

(2) The DC link capacitors may be too small to handle the much higher ripple on single phase

But you may be able to use an external full wave bridge rectifier with sufficient current rating, and some large external capacitors, to obtain a good DC link voltage capable of providing the full power rating of the VFD. I have a 7.5 HP 480 VAC VFD that I powered with about 500 VDC, which was provided by two "modified sine wave" inverters, one 1000W 12V to 240V, and the other 1500W 24V to 240V, modified to get their internal DC voltage, and wired in series.

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Well, I take my hat off to you guys. All my doubting was totally misplaced.

I have just spoken with the main man at Nord and he confirms 100% that this unit can be run on single phase UK voltage. Even better... there will be no loss of power when matched with the 1.1KW motor it came with.

I'm so lucky that everything is just falling into place.

Thank you all so much.

Comment

If 'getting a bit paranoid' means not wanting some cheap chinese crap liable to go up in smoke, and not wanting to waste the money I work hard for, then....

"YES. I AM GETTING A BIT PARANOID"
                Just remember it’s only paranoia if they are not really after you!
                Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
                Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Comment

Paranoia is good.
                  Unknown people have been stealing 50% of my socks since 1960, there is no way to explain this.

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
                    Paranoia is good.
                    Unknown people have been stealing 50% of my socks since 1960, there is no way to explain this.
                    Erma Bombeck once claimed that single socks are the larval stage of coat hangers. I suspect she may have been onto something.

Comment

Working...
                    X