Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    I guess it is one of those things where, "If you have to ask, ..."

Oh, and just how do you verify that accuracy? Wouldn't you need some kind of standard like the ones that come with micrometers?
    They do come with setting standards, but also the factory tech/sales guy will come to your shop and do the set up. And yes, if you have to ask, you can't afford it. While I haven't used their brands of CMM and etc., I am told that their competition can reliably measure down to millionths. But not very cheaply. Most outfits settle for a machine that will do 10ths all day long . They are similar to the Moore measuring machines in that they are doing it in all 3 dimensions, and the larger the envelope becomes, the more the price goes up. Following the "rule of ten" is what gives them that reliability of measurement -- and also makes them expensive.

The Japanese machines that were demonstrated to me, had a neat way of calibrating -- using laser scanners for non-contact measurement, it constructed a 3-d model of the standard in its CAD software. It then compared the measured model to an internal file copy of the ideal model.
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

OK. You folks are odd. Ill put up a nice optical flat, No one asked to use it, No one.

Its not every day you get a top of the line 12"{ to play with. JR

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
        OK. You folks are odd. Ill put up a nice optical flat, No one asked to use it, No one.

Yep, JR nailed it. It doesn't get much better than an optical flat
        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Not saying you're not worthy, but where the H did you get a 12" optical flat? They only run @ $6K+ from Edmunds

Best Regards,
          Bob
          Last edited by rjs44032; 02-15-2021, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rjs44032 View Post

Not saying you're not worthy, but where the H did you get a 12" optical flat? They only run @ $6K+ from Edmunds

Best Regards,
            Bob
            Hey Bob. Well there was a hitch hiker one night. They needed a ride, he had that flat. He had a crate of them. He said one, so one it was one. JR

Edit: This is not an Edmunds glass, this has out dated by.. years Certs, stickers them pests. From real labs. I do used to like Edmunds before they sold out and I could not get my Chems anymore. Chemistry was my thing along with Electrics at the same time. Look what won? JR
            Last edited by JRouche; 02-19-2021, 02:58 AM.

Comment

"Ill put up a nice optical flat, No one asked to use it, No one."

Just what the heck does that mean? Are you offering a 12" optical flat to someone for free? Are you selling it? Or are you willing to loan it out?

?????

I doubt that I or most others here could come up with the need and means to take advantage of such a flat on short term notice. Long term, I would love to have a nice optical flat. I have a few in the range of sizes from 25 to 50 mm. A 12" one would be a real treasure for my shop.

Just which road did you meet that hitchhiker on? Perhaps I can get lucky.

Paul A.
              SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
              You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Hey Bob. Well there was a hitch hiker one night. They needed a ride, he had that flat. He had a crate of them. He said one, so one it was one. JR

Edit: This is not an Edmunds glass, this has out dated by.. years Certs, stickers them pests. From real labs. I do used to like Edmunds before they sold out and I could not get my Chems anymore. Chemistry was my thing along with Electrics at the same time. Look what won? JR
                And I was warned never to pick up hitch-hikers. LOL.

Only thing I can think of to use that for is measuring mirrors for telescopes or optical comparators. However, would be over-kill for OC mirrors. Hell, that's large enough to measure the screen on my 10" OC. Still, I wouldn't mind having one and looking for reasons to justify it.

Best Regards,
                Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                  Or are you willing to loan it out?
                  That one. Weighs 50lbs so.... JR

Comment

Working...
                  X