Improvised Bigger Tap Wrench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improvised Bigger Tap Wrench

I had to twist a tap a little bigger than the capacity of the largest tap handle I had on hand. Two wrenches saved the day!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210207_172428.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	4.12 MB
ID:	1926688

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210207_173749.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	4.31 MB
ID:	1926689
    Attached Files

Well done, add big tap wrench to the to do list!
    mark

Comment

Well, that's using the old noggin.

"I don't need no stinking tap wrench!"
      Paul A.
      SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Heck yeah! Nailed it. I like to see posts like yours Sir. Thanks.. JR

Umm? you beveled the holes before tapping right? Cause that is what it looks like and that is the way to do it, IMO. JR
        Last edited by JRouche; 02-07-2021, 11:25 PM.
        My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Good thinkin'! I don't think I'd dare try that with a small tap - Of course you normally wouldn't need to (unless you lost your tap handle?).
          "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Nice to see someone else with my bad habits. Thanks !

Comment

The only problem with that setup is you need four cresent wrenches. Two imperial wrenches and two metric wrenches. In this day and age even here in Germany we have imperial stuff and metric stuff so you have to be prepared.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Nice improv. That just gave me the idea that you could weld a coupling nut to the outside jaw of an adjustable wrench so you can screw in a handle for the other side when needed. I've got a few surplus adjustables that are expendable for this.
                Last edited by Dan Dubeau; 02-08-2021, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                  The only problem with that setup is you need four cresent wrenches. Two imperial wrenches and two metric wrenches. In this day and age even here in Germany we have imperial stuff and metric stuff so you have to be prepared.
                  I've got a whole drawer of assorted metric/imperial crescent wrenches. They're in the drawer right above my metric and imperial hammers!
                  I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                  Oregon, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post

I've got a whole drawer of assorted metric/imperial crescent wrenches. They're in the drawer right above my metric and imperial hammers!
                    My metric hammers are indistinguishable from my metric crescent wrenches.
                    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Mitutoyo used to make two sets of telescopic bore gauges, one metric and one imperial, in their catalogue from the 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post

My metric hammers are indistinguishable from my metric crescent wrenches.
                        Is this one of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post

Is this one of them?

I'm envious! Thats gorgeous!
                          I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                          Oregon, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post

Is this one of them?

I can't tell. I told you they are indistinguishable.
                            *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Working...
                            X