OT off road 12,000 winch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT off road 12,000 winch

I would like to buy an off road winch in the 12,000# or 13,000# range. Prices are all over the place. I am not looking to spend 1,000$ and over for a name brand maybe made in the USA. I want to put it on a receiver hitch mount to use on one of several trailers or on the back of truck. I won’t use it often but when I need it I want it to work. Probably don’t need that much capacity but a little over kill don’t hurt.
    What I have been looking for is a off-road forum with some real life winch experiences.

Originally posted by true temper View Post
    I would like to buy an off road winch in the 12,000# or 13,000# range. Prices are all over the place. I am not looking to spend 1,000$ and over for a name brand maybe made in the USA. I want to put it on a receiver hitch mount to use on one of several trailers or on the back of truck. I won’t use it often but when I need it I want it to work. Probably don’t need that much capacity but a little over kill don’t hurt.
    What I have been looking for is a off-road forum with some real life winch experiences.
    Wern is the go to.. But besides that you can go with just anout anybody these day, same makers. I would buy an old one.

Get the remote, get good wire. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

About 10 years ago, Jeep Forum did a winch shoot-out testing them to destruction in real-world off roading.. Believe it or not, the Harbor Freight Badlands 12k won. They said it obviously was not of the same quality as the more expensive makes (burrs, rough finish, etc) but it still won. Dragging a dead late-model jeep uphill.

Comment

I have 2 Horrible Freight 12000# winches and neither are spring chickens.
        One is on a race car trailer, it's in an enclosure and only used to load a [email protected] car, a couple of times a week during the summer.
        The other is used on a heavy equipment trailer and just gets a cheap tarp for a cover, It's used a lot rougher.
        Neither one has ever given me a moments trouble, and if I needed another one today I'd buy the same thing again.
        The wireless remote is a great thing to have and well worth the extra cost.

THANX RICH
        People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

I have a Warn 12K zeon mounted on the front of my F150 and IIRC it was only $950 a few years ago. ONly used it once to pull out but worth every penny. The thing I like about warn is that they still support all their winches with parts. IDK about that with Badlands or HF. I do have a Hf on my kids ATV, it seems to be holding up but the contactor did go out.

Comment

Winch - Pierce Arrow Inc.

DZER

Comment

Originally posted by v860rich View Post
              I have 2 Horrible Freight 12000# winches and neither are spring chickens.
              One is on a race car trailer, it's in an enclosure and only used to load a [email protected] car, a couple of times a week during the summer.
              The other is used on a heavy equipment trailer and just gets a cheap tarp for a cover, It's used a lot rougher.
              Neither one has ever given me a moments trouble, and if I needed another one today I'd buy the same thing again.
              The wireless remote is a great thing to have and well worth the extra cost.

THANX RICH
              Similar story here. I have a Horrible Freight 12K winch I use to drag machine tools onto my trailer. I leave it in my shop when I'm not using it but it's been driven through salty roads during snow storms, rain storms, etc. and it hasn't given me any trouble yet (knock on wood). When I bought it, it was around $270 and, as far as I'm concerned, worth every penny. I used to use come-alongs to winch things on and off my trailer. Compared to that, the winch is so much better.

I keep meaning to run some heavy gauge welding cable to the back of my truck and weld on a battery box on my trailer tongue but so far, I just have a 750 CCA car battery that I charge up in the garage before going on a machinery run and then I use jumper cables to connect it to the winch. Been doing that for years now and no problems.

I do not have a wireless remote, though. I can definitely see how that would come in handy.

One thing to keep in mind: You almost always get what you pay for. HF is able to sell the 12k winch at a fraction of the cost of a US made version for probably 2 reasons. The first is that they take shortcuts somewhere - crappier material, crappier design, etc. and second, the factory that makes them probably doesn't value their employees health or safety. For some people that may be a moral impediment to buying. Regarding the first reason, well I would suggest treating the winch as if it could let go at any minute (indeed, I had a 12k come-along from Harbor Freight shear a bolt when winching a 3000 lb. machine tool ON WHEELS up a very gentle slope - no way the load was anywhere near 12,000 lbs. but the main bolt that held the winch to the hook sheared like butter and sent a shaper rolling away down the ramp).

Comment

I bought a HF 12,000 lb winch about 10 months ago. I was going to rig it up to pull my collapsed deck up off the lake front bluff last fall as extremely high lake levels and storms had eroded the bluff it was built into. By the time I got it ready, the lake took the deck, the stairs, and a full 15 feet of my land away.

The reviews were mixed on build quality, but outright failure reports didn't seem to be prevalent. Like you, I didn't want to spend a fortune on a limited use tool. I got the winch, and the hitch mounting plate. These are stout components. Assembled, it is a heavy bit of gear. I think the entire purchase, the winch and the mounting plate kit for a receiver hitch, was about $500 or so. I see HF is selling these at about $350 now.

Take note that the recommended battery is at least a 650 CCA, and will run an additional $150 bucks unless you have an existing battery or wire it to a good battery in a vehicle. Also, be aware of the 5% duty cycle (45 seconds at rated load capacity with almost 15 minute cool down). I don't know if other brands have similar duty cycles. Maybe others who have run theirs for a time can provide more direct experience. Mine is currently a garage queen, but hey, spring is coming, and who knows what is in store.
                S E Michigan

Comment

Winch needs to be payable with PayPal, I am closing my account because they are changing the rules in that they are impossible to understand. I have been selling on eBay and I have a pretty good balance to turn to toys. I have all really bought some cool stuff for the lathe and mill.
                  with the new rules on eBay I am shutting off selling on there too. I haven’t ever been on a speeding spree like this before.
                  I hate to spend a good chunk of it on something I might use only one or two times a year. Just trying to find the best value for the buck..

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post

Similar story here. I have a Horrible Freight 12K winch I use to drag machine tools onto my trailer. I leave it in my shop when I'm not using it but it's been driven through salty roads during snow storms, rain storms, etc. and it hasn't given me any trouble yet (knock on wood). When I bought it, it was around $270 and, as far as I'm concerned, worth every penny. I used to use come-alongs to winch things on and off my trailer. Compared to that, the winch is so much better.

I keep meaning to run some heavy gauge welding cable to the back of my truck and weld on a battery box on my trailer tongue but so far, I just have a 750 CCA car battery that I charge up in the garage before going on a machinery run and then I use jumper cables to connect it to the winch. Been doing that for years now and no problems.

I do not have a wireless remote, though. I can definitely see how that would come in handy.

One thing to keep in mind: You almost always get what you pay for. HF is able to sell the 12k winch at a fraction of the cost of a US made version for probably 2 reasons. The first is that they take shortcuts somewhere - crappier material, crappier design, etc. and second, the factory that makes them probably doesn't value their employees health or safety. For some people that may be a moral impediment to buying. Regarding the first reason, well I would suggest treating the winch as if it could let go at any minute (indeed, I had a 12k come-along from Harbor Freight shear a bolt when winching a 3000 lb. machine tool ON WHEELS up a very gentle slope - no way the load was anywhere near 12,000 lbs. but the main bolt that held the winch to the hook sheared like butter and sent a shaper rolling away down the ramp).
                    I've seen a Warn winch do that too so brand isn't any guarantee. We finished loading the item with a couple come-alongs as it wasn't terribly heavy and the winch rating was well above what we could have pulled with come-alongs.

Comment

I've had the HF Badland 12,000 lb winch on my power tilt trailer for a couple of years. Moved the entire shop this summer the hard way with that winch. I tried the wireless remote it was horrible so I returned it. I see they have a new remote that has better reviews.
                      Mike
                      Central Ohio, USA

Comment

When it really matters, I use a chainfall. In the USA they are proof tested to 5x the rated load IIRC, and no electrical required. There's no law that says you can't drag a horizontal load with one, nor is there any law that says a chainfall can only hang vertically. To me anyway, it is a far better deal because I can use a chainfall for many things and not just for one job.

Comment

I'll say up front I don't know anything about the HF winches. Back around 1980 I purchased a used Warn 8274, 8000lb, old style upright winch. IIRC I paid $250. They now run about $2400! The original owner said he had had it about 4 yrs. Since then I've had that winch on 3 different trucks and have used it a lot around my place, skidding logs, pulling stumps. I've unstuck myself a couple of times but have used it to pull other people out many times. It was even called upon to lower rescue workers down a cliff and to retrieve the two crash victims from their Landcruiser. That took every bit of the 150 ft of cable it holds. It's never been covered and my vehicles are always parked outside. I ruined the original armature about 25 yrs ago by running it so long and hard that it was boiling the water that I was pouring over it in an attempt to cool it. I replaced that original, soldered armature with a heavy duty brazed one and last year I bought a new control box mostly because the original control receptacle was finally corroded to the point that it was hard to make contact when plugging the control in. Bottom line, if you want a winch that will last 40+ years with parts available all over the internet, get a Warn. If you don't plan on keeping it that long, something less may do.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                            When it really matters, I use a chainfall. In the USA they are proof tested to 5x the rated load IIRC, and no electrical required. There's no law that says you can't drag a horizontal load with one, nor is there any law that says a chainfall can only hang vertically. To me anyway, it is a far better deal because I can use a chainfall for many things and not just for one job.
                            I'd like to see you use a chainfall to get your 4 wheeler out of a ditch .
                            Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post

I'd like to see you use a chainfall to get your 4 wheeler out of a ditch .
                              No prob, as long as there's something stout enough to tie onto. My jeep weighs in at about 3,000 lbs. I know its do-able because I routinely move weights like that at work.

Comment

Working...
                              X