[OT] Unfortunate Diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul,

Sorry to hear about the recent diagnosis. I'm not going to pretend to advise you on anything. I just want you to know I read your posts and replies regularly. You're generally right on target with your advice and clearly have helped many on this forum. Take care and hang in there for as long as you can. Ron

Comment

Paul, thank you for your friendship, and sharing of yourself here. I admire your wanting to share a little with animal shelters. How people treat animals is a good measure of their character.

As far as your material goods, I'd be a poor one to advise you, since I live in western Oregon. But I offer you moral support and best wishes.
      I cut it off twice; it's still too short
      Oregon, USA

Comment

Hey Paul, Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope everything turns out alright.
        I always enjoy reading your posts. You come up with some wacky projects, but
        they really inspire creative thinking. Kinda like brainstorming. I hope you get to
        keep hanging out here. We will miss you if you abandon us. Who else can fix
        a lawn mower with a table saw motor ?!? Get well brother.

-Doozer
        DZER

Comment

Paul --

Ahh man, that sucks. I hope you can pull through it. I have never forgotten the way you so patiently help others.

Comment

Hey Paul,

Please don't give up. Treatment for cancer is light-years ahead of where it was just 10 years ago. I know. I work for the UPMC Hillman Cancer Centers in PA. My wife was recently diagnosed with Breast Cancer. It was caught in stage 1. She was treated with surgery, radiation, and medical therapies. She is now cancer free.

I hope you will fight and win the battle. We're all pulling for you.

Best Regards,
            Bob

Comment

Im sorry to hear the terrible news . Its always hard to reply to something like this. I am on the other side of the world from you but always enjoyed your posts .You always seemed to have challenging repairs and solutions. We have a couple of things in common. The love for our dogs and our attachments to our tools. I wish you all the best .

Comment

Paul, that's real rough, I'm sorry to hear that. As AK alluded, you ain't dead until you're dead, so don't forget to live while you're alive. Enjoy your dogs, visit people or places that you always wanted to visit, sell or pass on the things that you value. As others have said, at least you have a little breathing space. My mum was felled by a brain haemorrhage nearly a year ago, never woke up and died 10 days later. We all die eventually, though I'm not sure if advance warning is a plus or a minus.

This might seem macabre, but it's interesting to set the RET gene and GDNF pathway involved - that's part of a course I teach (Developmental Biology) and I've done most of my research for the last 12 years on a related receptor tyrosine kinase, which is also an oncogene (involved in lung cancer).

Comment

In 2001 I had a colonoscopy that found a cancerous polyp. I prepped for surgery on 9/11/2001 and had a 6 cm bowel resection the next day. I didn't need any further treatment, and I recovered completely. This really took me by surprise, and unfortunately it has metastasized to bones and elsewhere, so is not directly curable. I have a follow-up with the oncologist this week and probably will have started the medication. My BIL is a genetic researcher with much knowledge of cancer and he explained that this medication is not really "chemo", which is basically poison with the awful side effects like hair loss and days of feeling miserable. I suppose this is better than if I had contracted Covid 19 which could quickly lead to a medically induced coma, ventilation, and isolation until death. Of course, Covid is mostly preventable by avoiding contact with people and exercising simple measures such as masks and sanitation. Probably most people who get lung cancer are heavy smokers, but I have never smoked, so the original cause is unknown. Perhaps having heated for many years with wood and inhaling wood smoke as well as dust, mildew, and mold in my old house may have contributed.

Today was not a very good day. I have also been experiencing vertigo as I lie down on my back, and when I get up. It first happened in September but it got better and I went to physical therapy where they performed a procedure which seemed to clear it up. It is called BPPV and caused by crystals in the fluid of the inner ear that provides feedback for balance and orientation. But around the end of January it suddenly reappeared, and possibly caused by a brain MRI I received then. I guess it's possible that the vibrations could have loosened the crystals. So I'll try the physical therapy again. But it seems like there are always various new or worsening issues that sometimes make life miserable. I try to remain upbeat but it's hard sometimes.

I will be trying to act on much of the good advice and encouragement you all have given me. Thanks.
                  http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                  Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                  USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Paul, sad news indeed. I will miss you and remember you in my prayers.

What you are facing with your tools is something that we all will have to deal with someday. My wife worries about all that "stuff" in the garage. I wish I were closer and could help when the time comes. If there is anything that I can do from a distance, whoever is doing it can just ask here.

Leaving your property to the Nature Conservancy is a very nice thought. I have always loved the outdoors and am sure that future generations will enjoy your gift.
                    Paul A.
                    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

So sorry to hear Paul, terribly sad news.

Comment

My sincerest thoughts and best wishes to you.

I'm new here and don't know you but over the last 4 months I've gone through the same tests and procedures having had similar symptoms. I'm still waiting for results but I'm carrying on as if nothing's wrong. Just trying to stay positive.

Your love for animals is wonderful. A person can be judged on this I believe.

My wife and I run a small self funded cat rescue here in UK and lord knows how she would manage if I were not here.

I hope this new drug gives you the time to take care of things and maybe more.

Roy.

Comment

Very sorry to hear this Paul.

It sounds like you are giving plenty of thought to all the right things. It sounds like you have a plan for the dogs and I'm sure that's a relief. Take care.
                          George
                          Traverse City, MI

Comment

Paul, really sorry to hear. Not what I like hearing first thing in the AM. Don't give up hope as there are a lot of experimental drugs out there that may help thanks to president Trump's "Right To Try Act" I hope you will look into this and find something that will help.

JL...............

Comment

Sorry Paul, sad news indeed
                              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Paul, one thing you could do for the rest of us is to ask a friend or relation to keep us informed when you are no longer able to post in person. It is always sad to see posts along the lines of 'How's so-and-so getting on' when a regular poster disappears from view. I've had to face up to my own mortality after a health scare a couple of years ago, and I've asked my daughter to inform my regular forums when my time has come.

For yourself, can you make arrangements for your palliative care in advance of actually needing it? In the UK we have a hospice movement, run entirely on donations, which provides high quality end-of-life care. Several of my friends and relations have benefitted from it. Is there anything comparable in the US?

I have been honoured to be left tools and materials by friends and family, and there's never a project goes by without my saying internally "Thanks, Dad," or "Thanks, Chris" or as appropriate.

George B.

Comment

Working...
                                X