No announcement yet.

[OT] Unfortunate Diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul, very sorry to hear that. Here's hoping the drug has great positive effect. Sounds like you've got some good ideas on what to do with your assets, as for the small stuff, remember its only stuff. I don't know, put the odd item of it out fairly cheap to get a bunch of traction and when some cheerful young comes along you like, load him up? Or name said person to your BIL so you can keep using your stuff as long as you want. I think I'd rather have my stuff as long as I could use it vs worrying its optimal destination. Don't know what else to suggest.
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 02-09-2021, 10:51 AM.
    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Paul very sorry to hear this. But all of us are going to leave this earth at sometime, you just have some advance warning and time. I know where I am headed for after the passing and not wanting to leave but realize I will as all of us mortals must. May God bless and keep you in the coming months.

You might sell the larger machines off, or consider donating all or most to a place that helps disadvantaged folks learn a trade.
      Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

Were all rooting for you, Paul, it's nice to know you are thinking of your dogs first and will provide for then first, whatever happens.

Comment

Paul sorry to hear this,hope things can turn around for you,as been mentioned we will be rooting for you.

Comment

I found this to be helpful guide in my life, don't discount it because it's from a silly website, Proactive Mindfulness": https://proactivemindfulness.com/grief-stages/

Comment

Paul,

Sorry to hear the news. Cancer runs in my family.

"I have had more tests, and it seems I have a mutation of the RET gene, and there is a new drug that specifically targets this. It is not a cure, but may delay the progression of the disease for several months and perhaps a year. I have been approved to get this free from the manufacturer through their "Lilly Cares" program."

My Father has been fighting CLL (Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia) for many years. He has been getting Genetic based therapy for 8-10 years. Did greatly improve his quality of life. Much better than getting traditional chemo.

Go for the treatments, try to stay as healthy and well fed to support your bodies needs to help the treatment work as well as it possibly can.

All cancers are different, and how peoples bodies react to the "same" cancer is different.

The tools of today are greatly improved over when cancer took my mother 25 years ago.

Stay positive, her positive attitude allowed her to fight for 22 years before she died.

Greg

Comment

Paul,

so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. With a pacemaker, tube feeding, and dialysis, my future is uncertain. I have lived far beyond my expectations and am OK with whatever happens. In disposing of my accumulation, I find that the small stuff does not bring anywhere near it’s value, so I am trying to identify worthy individuals to give items to. I have been pleased with the appreciation shown.

Comment

Paul,
                  We've never spoken directly but I have long had you pegged as my favorite on this forum. Good advice, level-headed and kind. I wish you the best.

Comment

All so true.
                    Many times you have gone quite far out of your way and spent a great deal of time to research something for someone else, or to find a deal on an item someone has been searching for.
                    You are, without a doubt, a very good, kind and helpful man Paul.

I have a fair bit of general advice, but you are intelligent enough to not need it. I will reinforce that you should give away directly as much as you can, before you are unable. Don't count on anyone else to do exactly as you hope or wish. People who are dealing with others property become quickly overwhelmed and the tenancy is to just bundle it all up and sell it cheap, just to get out from under the trouble and time. Your house poses a challenge as it will likely be difficult to sell. I could see it being sold to the first 'we buy houses' crook that comes along and offers cash and speed. You might not care too much, but if you do, perhaps we can come up with some superior alternatives.

As for all of the smaller stuff, the items you have spent a life accumulating that have more sentimental than cash value - do you have any technically oriented friends? Perhaps you could give them a bunch of stuff loosely related to their interests, and have them distribute what they don't personally need, in their own time.

I am so, so sorry that you have to deal with this Paul.
                    And again, thank you for taking the dogs, like Mr. Tibbs, that no one else wanted. You are a king.

Comment

I have enjoyed your insightful posts also, Paul. You've been very helpful to many people here, and I'm sure you are helpful with your friends, neighbors and relatives also. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. God Bless.

Dan
                      Salem, Oregon

Comment

Paul I don't know what to say that hasn't been said so well already by others.
                        Please keep a positive attitude throughout any further treatment since not one of us is ready to throw in the towel any time soon.
                        Always remember that we are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

You have been most generous here with sharing your knowledge and time, never thinking twice about designing or analyzing an electronic circuit on the fly if you thought it would be of use to someone you never met. Your thoughts on the well being of the planet too will stimulate a lot of thought in those you have touched both here and in the "real" world.
                        Your compassion towards your 4-footed friends has also been one of my favorite attributes that you have been proud to display here on these pages. Good on you!

Whether your journey takes you away from us this year, the next, or twenty years down the road, your presence here alone will be an inspiration for all that you have touched.
                        Godspeed my friend.
                        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Hello Paul,

This is the kind of news that we all dread receiving........

You have always seemed to me to be a kind, considerate, polite and helpful member of the board who has given freely of his knowledge and time. You concern for your friend and dogs says as much. You have helped me a couple of times with circuits etc and for which I expressed my thanks at the time. Folks like you are few and far between in this world, believe me. I lost my Dad to prostate cancer; at that time I was working literally on the other side of the world and so could do little to help my Mum cope on a physical, day-to-day basis. One thing that struck me was how their friends and neighbours were willing to help wherever they could and in so many different ways.

So, if I have anything to add to what others have said, it is that if anyone offers to help, then let them do so. If you say 'no', then they will probably not offer again. So don't turn anyone down; just thank them and tell them the offer is much appreciated and that you will contact them if you need their help. People feel good about helping others in need......so indulge them.

Ian.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your health problems, Paul. I'm still pretty good, but I'm facing the same thing- how to 'get rid of' all my stuff when I'm gone. Few people will know what all this stuff is- especially the home made machines. One of my concerns is how to get the heavy stuff up out of the basement. I don't want to 'condemn' somebody to trying to muscle it around- then hurt themselves. Whether it has value or not- this is the minimum requirement, that it can all make it to the driveway for loading- wherever it's going to go.

The electronic stuff- I've been collecting for decades. I have drawers full of unused parts, plus 'lightly used' parts- things I find useful- but will probably be useless to virtually anyone else now. I will be gone, so what do I care what happens to it- I'm kind of taking that attitude because otherwise I'll just be loading it onto someone else. I've been there, done that- and I have my dads stuff, plus my own gatherings from estate sales, etc- most of which I'm just dragging along now. I'm thinking that if I put a price on most things, that will just drive my executor crazy. My dad did that, and we ended up making about a dollar an hour for four of us, considering how long we spent setting it all out for a yard sale, and getting perhaps one penny for a dollars worth. One thing I thought might have made it better would have been to ask for a donation to a cause, instead of a price for an item. Just move it out, and if we make $50 we'll go for dinner on that, and anything else we'll just donate to a cause. Just an idea.

For the machinery, in my case I'll be asking my nephew, and a friend or two if they want any of it. If they do, they would have to supply the effort needed to take it away. If it's worth hundreds or thousands of dollars that could go to say your wife, then I'd try to get some kind of verbal agreement from any recipients that they would honor an amount agreed upon between you and them, and they would aid in removing it from the premises. It would really help to have a few people who are in the same hobby as you, so they would benefit from having the use of the machinery- to me anyway, that's more important than the dollar value.

As I sit in front of the computer and look around this room, what I see happening when it comes time to clear out is holding a garbage box in one hand, and making a sweeping motion with the other arm. Who's going to want that power supply they won't know how to use, or that big spool of super strong cord, or that stereo microscope, the winding machine, the Eimac transmitting tubes, those rolls of copper wire, the tripods, the digital cameras, the rolls of non-stick paper-

Another thing- will you wife want to get money for your stuff, or will she just want (need) it gone?

Personally, I don't want to give stuff away that's worth money- unless that's the decision I make. I don't want anyone feeling bad that they didn't get what you thought something was worth when it finally sells- we went through that with my dad. He had a tarp, for instance, that was new in the bag still, never unpacked, he paid $100 for it- we were offered $10. I kept it. Much stuff was like that, and it was an experience I would rather have avoided. Dad did in fact dispose of a lot of his things before he passed, and what was left was still a bit of a nightmare for us to deal with. He did his best to not burden us with the remains, but there was really no good way to make it painless. I have the feeling that dad would have been ok with us just sweeping the remainder into the bin at the end of it all. I'm hoping that's how I'll feel too- I sure don't want to find that I'm still cognizant after death, and find myself watching all my good stuff go to a landfill. Yikes.

I don't know if anything I've said is helpful to you or not- I hope so.

I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

My thoughts on the matter. Stop caring about your tools, they will be someone elses burden to deal with and you won't be around to enjoy them. Either sell them now and convert to money or call the scrap man so your loved ones won't be burdened. This emotional attachment is illogical and serves no purpose.

Comment

I don't know what to say that already hasn't been covered, other than to just say thanks. Thanks Paul, for being part of this small internet community over the years, and contributing in a positive and knowledgeable way. I always enjoyed your posts, you indirectly taught me many things about electronics over the years of being a silent observer. I also enjoyed you're perseverance and ability to squeeze every last bit of usefulness out of things many would simply throw away and buy new.

I hope you can find peace and comfort, and that you're able to find a worthy home for all the stuff you value. I also hope you're treatments go well, and you're able to squeeze every last bit of usefulness out of that meat suit your soul is occupying .

Comment

Working...
                                X