First Project - Power Drawbar - Need CAD File

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Project - Power Drawbar - Need CAD File

Hello...I've been watching some YouTube videos on making a power drawbar for a mill using a butterfly impact wrench; this video in particular I really like [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isbUM9SteZ0]. I wish I could find the handle being used in that YouTube video; it may have been custom made though. Anyway, this will likely be my first project with my new mill when I get it setup. Very useful indeed. I've read some posts on other site forums and it looks like the Neiko butterfly impact wrench is being referenced to include the YouTube link above. Like another who seems to have had no luck, I've searched for a CAD file for this butterfly impact wrench with no joy. Anyone have an idea where I might be able to get the CAD file? The positioning of the butterfly impact wrench above the drawbar will need to be spot on as my drawbar end is only 11mm. I definitely need the dimensions of the butterfly impact wrench. Ideas?
    Last edited by lovemesomemachines; 02-09-2021, 10:28 AM.

What is a butterfly impact wrench?

Comment

It refers to the "butterfly" style throttle that actuates the wrench:

https://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-Ran...27639492&psc=1

Comment

A CNC machine isn't going to do you much good if you can't draw a model in CAD.

Comment

This will be going on a manual mill. I can model it in the CAD software I own, however, it would be much easier if I just get the CAD file of the tool. I can then model everything around the tool and get it right the first time.

Comment

why dont you use an electric tool?

Comment

I don't think you are going to find a CAD file of an impact wrench.
              Just measure the one you have.
              Not understanding the need here.

-Doozer
              DZER

Comment

dian...I thought about an electric tool but I already have all of the equipment - air compressor, hose, fittings, butterfly torque wrench, etc. I'm not looking to invest any more than I already have except for the stock to make the fixture for the tool. This would be a good learning experience as well.

Doozer...I don't believe I'm going to find a CAD file either. I can certainly take the measurements myself. The want is to not have to use a hand wrench and spindle tool to loosen the drawbar at the same time and then my foot to catch the tool as it drops out of the spindle keeping it from falling onto the mill table or vise (I know, extreme example). Nonetheless, I've read about this happening to others. If you watch the video link I posted, it's a very clean, neat setup to make life easier. It may be my want and not necessarily yours.
                Last edited by lovemesomemachines; 02-09-2021, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Try here: https://grabcad.com/library/impact-wrench-4

Also see here: https://grabcad.com/library/diy-pnue...ling-machine-1

If you can't access it, let me know in a PM with your email address and I can email you a zip folder with a step model. No guarantees on accuracy, though.

Comment

I run into this a lot at work where I need to design around some component, but the manufacturer doesn't have CAD files available. There's only two options: Measure it as best you can and draw it yourself, or have it 3D scanned and converted to your chosen CAD format.

Comment

Fasttrack...Thanks for the links. I appreciate you taking time out to find that info.

Galaxie...3D scanning is a great idea. Maybe a Makerspace has a 3D scanner.

Comment

Here is the one I designed years ago.
                        it happened to be my first project on this mill, because it was too tall for me to reach up comfortably.

Sid
                        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Sid...Nice work!

Comment

Hi there. Professional CAD monkey here. It is a big part of my job to integrate CAD models from all over the place into products, and make sure they fit.

Even if you were to get a cad model of the specific impact wrench you have, you should measure and verify the model dimensions anyways because:
                            A. people who make cad models of impact wrenches and post them on the internet are mostly idiots and don't or can't measure or enter dimensions correctly.
                            B. the manufacturer probably has five different variants of the same part number that vary slightly in ways that will have a material impact on the fit/function for your application.

TLDR; don't trust, and do verify.
                            -paul

Comment

psomero...Thank you for the reply. Fusion 360 has a Canvas feature that allows you to import a picture and calibrate it for size to make accurate measurements. I've been using Solidworks, off and on, and I don't know if it has a feature like that or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X