Little Lewis mill (some pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Lewis mill (some pictures)

Darn Darn Darn. This is the third time I have tried to get this post to go. They will only let four pictures go with a post. Oh well I'll just do it in two posts!!!

Finally was able to get back to the shop, the snow is all gone. After soaking for two weeks in diesel (it didn't help) I have been able to scrape some of the crud off of the little mill. I have even found a few pretty things under all of the crud.

Like the Lunkenhimer oiler.

I didn't like the stop nut on the draw bar or the fact that it was staked onto the drawbar.

So I made a new one.

I found that someone had broken and repaired the main drive pulley, I'm not sure that I like the repair. Guess that I will try it and see how it works. If there is any vibration or chatter will take it apart and do a better repair. Pictures in the next post.

Have almost finished cleaning all of the small parts and will start on the main casting next, and then it's paint time.

Ross
    GUNS Don't kill people
    Drivers using cell phones do.

Pictures of the Pulley

Ross
    GUNS Don't kill people

Comment

Its gonna look Great Ross, I can teel already!!

uute

Comment

Eh..... you're already farther into yours than I have been into mine.

But mine had had a nice life, and was clean and well kept when I got it, so I never had to.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

The only reason that I have gone that far into it, was because of necessity. There was just too much crud everywhere on the little thing.

Ross
          GUNS Don't kill people

Comment

It's hard to tell from the pic what the pulley is made from. Is that a brazed repair? If it is and the pulley material is compatible I would scrub up the inside of the repair and flow some hard silver solder over the joints in the pieces. It melts below the temp of brazing rod and won't cause the bits to fall out while you do it. It would clean up well enough that you would hardly see it after that.

I sure like that oiler.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
              I sure like that oiler.
              FYI, oilers like that, as well as replacement glass and seals for them, are available from at least one supplier that advertises in Gas Engine Magazine (I forget the name, possibly Lee Pederson?).

He doesn't make them, he's just a dealer for a small US company that does. But I bet they are simplified somewhat from that type.

I'm guessing the oiler was for a spindle bearing, based on the original pics, which brings up the question as to whether the machine may actually need two.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

I think Lee Pederson is the correct name, but Lunkenheimer is still in business, and oilers, steam whistles and more are available from them.

http://www.lunkenheimercvc.com/cvc_products.htm

As with almost anything else, oilers are also available from McMaster Carr. They have Lunkenheimer and imports available.
                Jim H.

Comment

Working...
                X