No announcement yet.

dead furnace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a back up generator that will run my furnace and a few other things.

2 pipe PVC vented high efficiency furnaces have been around for a long time, my old Lennox Pulse installed in 1982 had them.

Make up or combustion air has been required for years and years. Most of the older houses got enough by infiltration, but like mine with new windows and tight caulking its pretty damn tight. The old bring in fresh air vent pipe was suppose to dump down at the floor in the same room as the unit or directly inside the furnace;

Last edited by wmgeorge; 02-14-2021, 01:44 PM.
    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

When I was dealing with my wood stoves, I played with having outside air coming in so house air wouldn't get sucked out the chimney so much. What a difference it makes-

One system I had was outside air coming in from the back wall, but just more or less pointing towards the stove. Another had the outside air piped right into the side of the stove. My current wood stove doesn't have any outside air source, and when I use it, the house actually gets colder away from the stove. The room the stove is in gets toasty, but the rest of the house doesn't benefit. In a previous house I lived in, there was a fan on that air intake, and you could get a very hot fire, but you'd use up your wood more quickly. And if you didn't have a clear flue you would get fumes inside the house.

I haven't used my wood stove for decades now, but it was always a problem getting the air moving up the chimney to begin with. I think part of the problem had to do with the proximity of a large tree, with the chimney between the tree and the house. I wonder how many installers actually consider a proper siting for air intakes and exhaust outlets-
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
      X