Question for J Tiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for J Tiers

I found this thing attached to the little Lewis mill, do you know what it is?? I'm at a loss.

Ross
    GUNS Don't kill people
    Drivers using cell phones do.

No....

I'm guessing it is some special-purpose deal.... wasn't that mill set up for a particular job at its old home?

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Comment

Shucks

Darn, I was had high expectations. Wanted to know what that thing is. When I got the mill it was set up to cut keyways, if that is any help.

Anybody else out there know what it is?

Ross
      GUNS Don't kill people

Comment

Looks to me like a little fixture designed to facilitate precisely positioning the workpiece before beginning a machining operation. It has two positions for the plastic/rubber piece to act as a bumber or stop. Looks like it got one end into the spinning stuff at some point. Would be used for a production run of some kind.

Best,

BW
        ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
        Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
        http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

BobWarfield may well be correct. The previous owner/user of the mill was big into fixtures and jigs. It was likely also his brazing repair of the pulley. We still have a few "little gems" like that here in the shop on various other equipment.

Exactly what was being made is anyone's guess. The fact that it was set up to cut a keyway could just have been coincidence.

Do you happen to remember where the part in question was located on the mill?

Comment

Dan
            At this time I'm unable to tell you the exact location of that device. When I start putting everything back together and am able to check the pictures I took, I will try to give you a look at it on the mill.

Thanks for all the help.

Ross
            GUNS Don't kill people

Comment

Working...
            X