Is this a bad cap? (jenix DRO)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by macona View Post
    Probably not the Dallas NVRAM chip. If it was bad it just would not remember settings when you turn it off.
    that makes sense to me thanks and yeah no problem with that - it does remember the numbers after shut down.. [quote}

My guess is you have a bad IC someplace. You might just want to get a new head unit to use with your old scaled. Unless you have an oscilloscope to start digging in there. [/QUOTE]

what's an IC? again I do not think it's the heads when you can swap leads when the unit if off and it actually makes the other reader head glitch out and the one that was doing the glitching is then fine... ???

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
      You might want to check if the suspect scale axis works better/worse when the reader head is cooled down or heated with hot air gun.

If the opto is borderline working the symptoms get worse with increased temperature.
      I went through this process about a year back when it was just the X axis acting up --- took a heat gun and got things allot warmer on the reader head area, no change at all...

my lead cables are also very solid and actually barely go through much movement when using the mill - I also put them through allot of changes in positioning while cranking the handle and no change...

this morning I fired up the DRO and the Y scale that's attached to the Y readout is the one that's glitching out, things have totally swapped from the other day as the X is fine now... I do not think it's scales or reader head - something trades off and on in the unit itself... im out of idea's

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
        this morning I fired up the DRO and the Y scale that's attached to the Y readout is the one that's glitching out, things have totally swapped from the other day as the X is fine now.
        Double check that you haven't swapped cables or something. What you are describing as your problem is so rare as to be almost impossible.

Comment

IC. Integrated circuit. A chip.

Without a scope to see what’s going on on signal line and power rails you have no idea what’s going on. At this point what you are doing is throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. With a scope you can tell if you are getting proper pulses from the scales. See what’s happening to those pulses. Make sure they are actually reaching their full pulse height and proper waveform.

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post
            IC. Integrated circuit. A chip.

Without a scope to see what’s going on on signal line and power rails you have no idea what’s going on. At this point what you are doing is throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. With a scope you can tell if you are getting proper pulses from the scales. See what’s happening to those pulses. Make sure they are actually reaching their full pulse height and proper waveform.
            You could also measure the voltage levels with ordinary multimeter and that is what I suggested earlier. Waveform remains mystery but voltage levels would possibly reveal a lot.

Comment

You could also measure the voltage levels with ordinary multimeter and that is what I suggested earlier. Waveform remains mystery but voltage levels would possibly reveal a lot.
              Is that something you can tell me how to do it? I will take up close pics of anything you want and send it too you thanks

Comment

Originally posted by SLK001 View Post

Double check that you haven't swapped cables or something. What you are describing as your problem is so rare as to be almost impossible.
                SLK --- it's how I got the scales to swap glitches, the X was the one acting up, and it was acting up on the X readout, but like I said yesterday I tried something different, yesterday I swapped the leads so the Y scale was connected to the X readout and I did this BEFORE powering up the DRO and after the DRO was off all night, I then went and fired up the DRO, the Glitch stayed in the X readout, but it was Y scale controlled, I would move the Y axis mill handles and barely any response - after that I turned the DRO back off and switched the leads back ---- Now the Y scale is the one acting up and it's acting up on the Y readout, I know it sounds crazy but something is borderline and once it remembers a pathway or something it sticks to it,,, I have no idea but I am telling you spot on without sugar coating anything...

Comment

Is that something you can tell me how to do it? I will take up close pics of anything you want and send it too you thanks
                  Connect everything so your DRO is operational, power up your DRO and measure on both X and Y axis connectors shown earlier:
                  White, yellow and green are most likely A B quadrature signals and reference mark.
                  These should measure something like 0 to 1volts OR 4 to 5 volts but not between.

DC Voltage from:
                  black to red (this should be supply voltage, +5.00v)
                  black to white
                  black to yellow
                  black to green

Write down all voltage values and then move X or Y scale to different position.
                  Check if voltage levels toggled to another state and write the down the results again.
                  You might need to try couple of times to get both results for each signal (50/50% changes for the output to settle either high or low)

Then we should have results like:
                  X axis
                  Red 4.98v
                  White 1.22v low 4.14v high
                  Yellow 1.29v low 4.24v high
                  Green 1.10v low 3.32v high

And same for Y axis

Comment

Cool You got it thanks Matt

Comment

Connect everything so your DRO is operational, power up your DRO and measure on both X and Y axis connectors shown earlier:
                      White, yellow and green are most likely A B quadrature signals and reference mark.
                      These should measure something like 0 to 1volts OR 4 to 5 volts but not between.

DC Voltage from:
                      black to red (this should be supply voltage, +5.00v)
                      black to white
                      black to yellow
                      black to green

Write down all voltage values and then move X or Y scale to different position.
                      Check if voltage levels toggled to another state and write the down the results again.
                      You might need to try couple of times to get both results for each signal (50/50% changes for the output to settle either high or low)

Then we should have results like:
                      X axis
                      Red 4.98v
                      White 1.22v low 4.14v high
                      Yellow 1.29v low 4.24v high
                      Green 1.10v low 3.32v high

And same for Y axis
                      Ok here's what i got --- note there's kinda a waver in the Yellow to black on the X from about 1.5v to 2 or so volts, also --- no change on the green to black pins just constant .467 and .468 I screwed up and put 4.67 on the Y and that's not so its same low figure as the X just under a half volt , let me know what you think and what I should do next --- can tell you right now this things to big to flush down the crapper lol thanks Matt and everyone for at least trying to help
                      Attached Files

Comment

Ok here's what i got --- note there's kinda a waver in the Yellow to black on the X from about 1.5v to 2 or so volts, also --- no change on the green to black pins just constant .467 and .468 I screwed up and put 4.67 on the Y and that's not so its same low figure as the X just under a half volt , let me know what you think and what I should do next --- can tell you right now this things to big to flush down the crapper lol thanks Matt and everyone for at least trying to help
                        White and yellow seem to be the AB quadrature signal and green is possibly reference marker on the end of the scale (and thus constantly 4.x volts)

Levels on yellow look fishy compared to white but the weird thing is that they look fishy on both axis.
                        Can you post high resolution shots of the board to imgur.com for example?

Comment

White and yellow seem to be the AB quadrature signal and green is possibly reference marker on the end of the scale (and thus constantly 4.x volts)

Levels on yellow look fishy compared to white but the weird thing is that they look fishy on both axis.
                          The green is .4 not 4. just to clarify, on both axis's ,,, I can post higher res pics on here, I have my res tuned down and can post better ones im sure if you want

Comment

Matt - got to thinking and I believe what your saying is that "yellow" lacks the contrast?? another words how can you pick up the difference in the etched glass if the readers are not capable of it in the first place (like in comparison to the white) is this a correct analogy ??? if so where would this originate? I know - tough question otherwise we'd already know where to look but does it sound like two reader heads shooting craps at the same time or is there the possibility of the control board F-ing up the power or ground path somehow??? and why would it swap scales? if it weren't for the pandemic this thing would have sailed off the royal gorge bridge already but believe it or not it's kinda helping me keep my sanity in a crazy kinda way lol

Comment

Sorry AK but I fixed my DRO! I found a short in one of the cables going to one of the scales. After fixing that and putting in a new fuse all is well. I am glad because this DRO was made in Russia a long time ago. The only place I found that would work on it is in the U.K.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Don't be sorry - im glad for you - im about to post an electronics question and pic to the guys on the board thanks and even though that's not my particular problem it give me hope ...

Comment

Working...
                                X