Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dian
    replied
    switzerland is not part of the eu but it follows all regulations and probably even more strictly than the members. it lso pays huge amounts of contibutions.

i wonder if police databases have to comply with this. here, if your cat shiit in the neighbors garden its in their database even if its not true. they willingly share information with other police organisations.

Leave a comment:

• loose nut
    replied
    There is an organization in the EU that is actively going after You Tube for all it's censorship of videos by using this law. It could make Europe untenable for You Tube if it goes against them or they refuse to change.

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    Originally posted by IanPendle View Post
    My point was that as Switzerland is not an EU member then a resident of Switzerland has no more reason to be bound by EU regulations than, say, a US citizen.

Nothing more to say on this...sometimes I wonder why I bother....
    Yeah, it probably does no good. Most of us don't concern ourselves with the legal finagling of far away countries. For instance, I have no idea which countries are currently part of the EU just as I don't know which countries are part of the UK and which are not. I no longer have a need to know. I'm retired.

In the distant past, I set up web sites for corporations. I suspect that the web master at hotrod.com used a public list of countries that signed on to the European Union GLOBAL data privacy laws and blocked them out of "an abundance of caution".

Dan

Leave a comment:

• OaklandGB
    replied
    Back to dian's original question...what could possibly be in Hotrod.com that requires it to be blocked anywhere? Great cars and automobile articles? Maybe it offends Greta.

Internet is like free speech. It is up to the reader or listener to filter out what is acceptable, not some invisible software written by some anonymous board of regulation somewhere.

The Internet, yet another great idea/invention, now headed for ruin by government intervention.

Leave a comment:

• Bented
    replied
    The EU does not want their citizens to view "hotrod.com" for obvious reasons.

Leave a comment:

• IanPendle
    replied
    My point was that as Switzerland is not an EU member then a resident of Switzerland has no more reason to be bound by EU regulations than, say, a US citizen.

Nothing more to say on this...sometimes I wonder why I bother....
    Last edited by IanPendle; 02-13-2021, 06:55 AM. Reason: grammar

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by IanPendle View Post

Switzerland is not a member of the EU (or the EEA, but is part of the single market).
    Umm? I think we are talking about communications right now. Not Geography. JR

Leave a comment:

• IanPendle
    replied
    Originally posted by old mart View Post
    I'm surprised that dian has problems with the eu seeing that he is from Switzerland.
    Switzerland is not a member of the EU (or the EEA, but is part of the single market).

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by old mart View Post
    I'm surprised that dian has problems with the eu seeing that he is from Switzerland.
    Correct.

Data Protection? haha..

Umm, If you cant figure it out try a VPN. JR

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    The EU Data and Privacy regulations are interesting from an IT point of view. It sets up a situation where having a data warehouse in Europe is enough to require that your entire company must agree to be bound by EU laws in order to use that data. The EU courts can impose large fines.

One of the impacts that I saw while working for a multinational a few years back was that a UK version of our website was not allowed to access the content of our US servers.

Leave a comment:

• old mart
    replied

Leave a comment:

• loose nut
    replied
    Originally posted by I make chips View Post
    It's all about compliance with the newer EU regulations. The links you provided obviously work fine here in the states.
    In other words, the websites you want to see are not set up with 'certification' to comply with the euro regulations. Typical yanks, late to the party and no idea how to do it.

https://gdpr.eu/
    You seem to think "the Yanks" give a damn about EU regulations or will change to meet them.

Leave a comment:

• OaklandGB
    replied
    The most frightening phrase on earth:
    "I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help"

Leave a comment:

• MattiJ
    replied
    EU data protection regulation is the biggest turd I have seen for years... (wagonload of "I agree" popups on every damn website coz of that)

Did you set the tunnelbear proxy location to US?

Free online proxies seem to work with hotrod.com so I don't see why it wouldn't work with tunnelbear. https://www.proxysite.com/

Leave a comment:

• I make chips
    replied
    It's all about compliance with the newer EU regulations. The links you provided obviously work fine here in the states.
    In other words, the websites you want to see are not set up with 'certification' to comply with the euro regulations. Typical yanks, late to the party and no idea how to do it.

The EU General Data Protection Regulation went into effect on May 25, 2018, replacing the Data Protection Directive 95/46/EC. Designed to increase data privacy for EU citizens, the regulation levies steep fines on organizations that don’t follow the law.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X