Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm so tired of staying home every day, I could squeal like a pig!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

Traffic has been much improved which is probably the singular most unpleasant part of living in the GTA.
    GTA??
    You don"t mean GFN, Great Frozen North?

Comment

Brian, is going for a drive an option for you? I do feel the same way even tho my wife and I have just had our second covid shot. Old age does have the rare advantage occasionally. What is the road conditions up where you live? We live in southern Indiana and until the last few days, road conditions have been OK to drive. We currently have icy roads now for a few days. Going for a little drive has been my salvation up till now. Hang in there, there will be light at the end of the tunnel. Sarge41

Comment

This winter certainly is a tough one, but I keep telling myself it could be worse (although sometimes that can be a false comfort). I had grandparents who lived through a great depression and 5 years of occupation in the Netherlands, and one grandfather who got sent off to war after all that, and then they all restarted their lives from nothing (the clothes on their backs). Compared to them I have lived a life of luxury and ease, and if a bit of hardship helps bring that into perspective it may not be the worse thing in the world. My big worry at this point is the long-term effects of this past year, yes it's sucked being at home but we'll be feeling the economic and social effects long after we're released from our homes.

I think that one of the toughest things to deal with in our situation is that the people you would rely on for support (and support) you can't connect with physically. Digital methods only go so far, we need that face-to-face contact as well.

For myself I actually enjoyed the initial slowdown and being able to spend a bit more time with the family. I'm thankful to be able to go to work every day and see some new faces that way, my wife does not have the same opportunity. I decided to take advantage of some of the down time and take some continuing education courses, but that again is not the same as in-class learning and it's taking some additional effort on my part. I'm looking forward to some warmer weather again so we can do some more social things in the back yard, although I got out ice fishing with some friends and their kids this past week which was a nice boost. Hoping to maybe do it again on Monday.
        Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Our roads are good here, bare pavement. One big issue that you wouldn't think of, is that there are no bathrooms available. Not bad for me, I can pee on the side of the road. Problem for the wife though. All public washrooms and restaurants are closed down.--Can't drive more than half an hour away from home. We have about 15" of snow on the ground here and -10 to -15C daytime temperatures, about 10 degrees colder at night. It hasn't been a bad winter, but by February it's always a long one. We probably won't see the snow gone until first or second week of April.
          Brian Rupnow
          Design engineer
          Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I am grateful that I am deemed essential and have been able to keep working and the wife has been able to work from home.
            The school lock downs have been really tough on my kids, particularly my daughter who just started grade 7 and the hormone changes etc... Bad scene for the kids for sure...
            We are very luck to have another property North of you Brian, near Big Chute. Its isolated in the middle of nowhere with boat access when the ice is out or a walk through the bush in the winter.
            A change of scenery goes a long way.
            Well FWIW, Happy family day weekend!
            Though not easy while under house arrest eh!?
            Cheers,
            Jon
            Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210207_182051043.jpg Views:	1 Size:	5.03 MB ID:	1927861
            Attached Files

Comment

I'm really glad the 'squeal like a pig' wasn't a reference to Deliverance. Got shivers just thinking about being that tired of being shut in.

We have been isolating since forever. My wife has cancer and is on hospice, we can't afford even a common cold.

Mike

Comment

I have lived and worked in Iowa, RI, and DC/Virginia so I know how winter is in the north. Even the kids just stay inside and I have gone for over a month without once seeing the sun. It can get to you in ordinary years.

The company that I worked for in Iowa had a large, industrial style building and most of the time about 3/4s of it was not occupied. I would walk around the back part for exercise. Many winter days shoveling snow had more than fulfilled my desire to be outside. But the local McDonald's was quite near where I lived: it was a local gathering spot. Many nights when I got tired of working in my shop I would just walk there for a coffee and apple pie.

Since this pandemic started, I have been doing all the shopping for the family. What I am missing is exercise. There is little chance of ice or snow here in SE Texas so yesterday I took my son's old bicycle to the bike shop for repairs. Yea, yes, I know I could have done it myself, but I have other things on my plate. I hope to bicycle around the neighborhood when the temperature is not too hot or too cold.
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

On that double mask thing, I believe that any statistics on that may come from the haphazard manner in which many, dare I say most, people wear them. Many do not cover the nose and when they do, they leave large gaps on each side where most of the air comes in and goes out. It is no wonder that the statistics for masks are so disappointing. Just putting another improperly worn mask over that is of little or no good.

I think a single GOOD mask, PROPERLY WORN is far more effective. On my last trip to Harbor Freight I found N-95 masks that can be fitted to the face very well. That was good because my well-worn N-95s were in need of replacement. I have also been purchasing the nitrile gloves there and I wear them in the supermarkets and places like WalMart.

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                  Are you in a mandated lock down? What's keeping you inside? Double mask is being recommended. Are you afraid to even go out for a walk? If everyone is hunkered down in your area, what is the likelihood of running into anyone?
                  Paul A.
                  SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                  You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Sorry but I'm not participating in this china flu or the insanity surrounding it.
                    If ya'll want to drink the kool-aid that's your's.

Comment

I think it's been great. Generally, I only leave the property once a week, sometimes only twice a month. The main difference for the past year is that the missus is around all year instead of just seasonally, as she is able to work remotely.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

GTA??
                        You don"t mean GFN, Great Frozen North?
                        Or where I live and have in common with Seattle and Portland? The Great Pacific NorthWet?

Although it's been well below freezing and blowing down from up north at near gale force for three days now. It's downright "crispy" outside.

We are encouraged but not mandated to lockdown. Folks still go for their walks with dogs and just pass with space when they meet. I walk the two dogs on the ends of my legs as well. It works as long as folks stay mindful and respectful.
                        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

MikeL I have to admit Bri's title in the OP brought out the fight or flight response from me too just thinking of the dreaded banjo music... if he doesn't know it's best left a tale untold lol

Comment

Try staying inside a small hotel room for 10 days with no windows to open!!!! 2 more days!!!!

Comment

Brian,
                              We've never met, and it's unlikely we will, however I have enjoyed many of your posts. I'm saying a prayer for you and your wife, and leaving you a quote from my favorite Canadian, Red Green, "Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together."

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post
                                Sorry but I'm not participating in this china flu or the insanity surrounding it.
                                If ya'll want to drink the kool-aid that's your's.
                                Thanks for letting us know. Glad to see that you are wayyyy over there.

At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X