No announcement yet.

Tip - drill press key "holder"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The drill press I use 99% of the time has a spring ejector on the key. I have developed the habit of always putting it back in its holder, but the ejector would eliminate the issue of turning on the machine with it still engaged. Same idea on a lathe? Hmm. Don't know.
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Why do ANYTHING special? I just keep the key in an unused slot of the table.

Always there, nothing stretching across the workspace. A lot of safety solutions are so bad they generate more injuries than the problem they "solve".
      2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

I have 2 drill presses next to each other. The chuck keys for them are on magnets on the head of the drill press. They are about eye level. No chips ever go that high, so there's never a problem with the magnets collecting them. The keys are always close at hand and easy to get and put back.
        Kansas City area

Comment

I put a broom holder clip on the belt guard of both drill presses and the BP. It's automatic for me to grab and return the key to its spot. Haven't bought one recently, but they're probably a buck or so at the local hardware store.

Comment

Originally posted by rickyb View Post
            I’d ask for a keyless chuck. Just sayin’.
            Agree, Albrecht is the answer. Got mine on ebay used. Put it on the little Delta probably 10 years ago, never been tempted to go back to the jacobs.
            I cut it off twice; it's still too short
            Oregon, USA

Comment

I had a keyless chuck. I do not recall the name.

Soooo convenient, except that nothing in this world could get tighter than that chuck on a drill shank..... you needed dynamite to get it loose. I don't know where it is, and don't care. Maybe a neighbor down the block or the next street over may find its rusty remains in their yard, if it happens that I just threw it as hard as possible down the fence line.
              2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Yeah the magnet, put it up on the head casting ..no chip problems,
                keyless chuck, yeah...ok to a couple hp maybe...after that risk of jamming up hard..

but don't use reduced shank drills in a keyless are a big help.... 5/8 and smaller don't require as much torque to drive .. above that , try to use taper shrank drills , better system no jamming, no length problems.on smaller machines..

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
                  I have been through many schemes of drill press key holders - pockets, chains, magnets, ... . This one does it perfectly:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E1980.JPG
Views:	575
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	1927796

It's on a retractable key chain. It's always there (my hand knows where it is without my looking) and it returns there by itself. What more could one ask for?
                  Yeah Bob. I dont suggest you do any of that.

I have a powerful Clausing 20" drill press with power down feed in my home shop (two car garage). I keep my key in my hand or off to the right where I keep it.

I dont hang any "trinkets" off my mills or lathes. Dont do that. JR
                  My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

I made a wire bail out of a coat hanger. It wraps around the drill press column and rests on top of the ring that guides the table lift rack. the bail has two cradles like cup hooks that the chuck key cross bar rests on. The key is always there ready to grab. Easy to hang up and it has never fallen off even when I walk the drill press to clean under it.

Comment

You guys that always know where your key is because you always put it there have 2 things up on me: you have the discipline to always put it back, and you (I suppose) do not get annoyed when you haven't put it back and have to go looking for it.

On a retractable key chain I do not have to remember to put it back - I let it go and it goes back by itself. Every ... single ... time.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheap Jon View Post
                        The owner of a local shop lost most of a thumb and parts of two fingers because the key was hooked on a chain. He left the key in the chuck, when he turned on the press it grabbed his hand a ripped the thumb and fingers off. I would never attach a key with anything that could rape around my hand. His hand was really gross to look at.

Jon SW Mi
                        I can't see that happening with retracting chain - with mine, I'd have to have my hand on the chuck, key, or chain when I turned the drill on. If I ever get that stupid I hope that I have the sense to give up my shop. His must have been a dangling chain that didn't keep itself out of the way. And even if I left the key in the chuck, it would have to be left just right, else the tension on the chain would pull it out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E2081.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.14 MB ID:	1928284

Last edited by Bob Engelhardt; 02-14-2021, 01:26 PM.

Comment

nothing in this world could get tighter than that chuck on a drill shank
                          I have only used keyless chucks on hand drills, never a drill press, but I have the opposite problem. The %$%@! thing rarely gets the drill tight enough. To be fair, I have never used one of the highly reputed ones (Albrecht).
                          "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

My rule is to NEVER take my hand off the key while it is in the chuck. This habit is guaranteed to take care of the safety issue. Now, as far as finding the key after it's put down somewhere . . .

Comment

Oh to own a drill press key that would ever stay in the drill chuck, when you let go of it.......

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
                                You guys that always know where your key is because you always put it there have 2 things up on me: you have the discipline to always put it back, and you (I suppose) do not get annoyed when you haven't put it back and have to go looking for it.

On a retractable key chain I do not have to remember to put it back - I let it go and it goes back by itself. Every ... single ... time.
                                No, three things up on you.
                                I`m just as forgetful as the next guy, however unlike you I`m blessed to have a table on my drill press with a wide and deep groove around it`s circumference big enough to hold the key. That`s where it`s always placed because it`s so darned handy.

Now where did I place my drill index?

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                                Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Working...
                                X