Blasting medium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blasting medium

I have a small-ish table top sandblaster, works reasonably well too. I use what is called "copper slag" for blasting, some kind of left over material from casting industry. It actually works fairly well, almost as well as the smaller glass bead blaster I used while at work but it is dirty and leaves a very fine black powder on the work (and everything else) that can be fun to get rid of. It is a sharp material the leaves a rough finish that is good for painting but to rough for finer work. Now I have heard that glass beads don't work so good in these machines, it would leave the finish I want but is quite pricey. There is a crushed glass medium that is also available for this machine.

Have any of you used crushed glass, 30-60, grit for blasting and is it equal or better then beads?

What type of finish do you get?
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Hi Loose nut,

I have used this HF media (link below) and it worked well for the HF benchtop that I had. I since have a larger unit and still use (bought a lot years ago) the same product with good success. Your question of crushed check the attachment for performance. Do look around and see if there are any local providers you might find a better price for a supplier vs HF.

https://www.harborfreight.com/50-lb-..._q=blast+media

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris
    Attached Files

Comment

For many years I used Black Beauty, coal power plant slag crushed. About 20 years ago I switched to the 30-60 crushed glass for my pressure pot and last year I ran out of glass beads and dumped in some of the crushed glass into my bead blaster. The only way to go. And if I have it in the pressure pot, the stuff that ends up on the ground just looks like beach sand. The only thing dirtier than crushed slag is used gear oil! I buy the crushed glass in 50 pound bags for about $7 US and buy 400 or 500 pounds at a time.
      Peter
      Grantham, New Hampshire

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post

I used while at work but it is dirty and leaves a very fine black powder on the work (and everything else) that can be fun to get rid of. I

Have any of you used crushed glass, 30-60, grit for blasting and is it equal or better then beads?

What type of finish do you get?
        Humm? That "slag" you get is nice, most folks dont get to use an abrasive like that.

Yes glass bead or any other form wont cut the material but will clean the residue from the slag (black chit) . JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

The "glass bead" from Harbor Freight is pretty good for removing rust and paint, and doesn't leave any residue. It is not like the glass bead of equal grit level from quality makers like Ballotini. It's very aggressive and acts more like crushed glass. The finish produced is pretty matte and somewhat coarse. Ballotini beads leave a brighter, smoother finish in comparison, but those don't remove paint very well. I have been running the Harbor Freight "bead" for rust and paint removal as well as paint and powder coat prep. It leaves a surface with pretty good "key" for paint to grab. If I want to clean up a precision surface or glass bead a surface and leave it as blasted I swap out the HF "bead" for the Ballotini bead.

Comment

So crushed glass removes rust as well as the AO blast media? The Harbor fright black media is extremely dusty. I've heard that tractor supply sells good AO media? Where do ya'll get the crushed glass?

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post
              So crushed glass removes rust as well as the AO blast media? The Harbor fright black media is extremely dusty. I've heard that tractor supply sells good AO media? Where do ya'll get the crushed glass?
              Thanks for the info about Tractor Supply!

Comment

I use the white media from HF. Still gets everywhere, but at last you can't see it as well! lol The important thing is to have a good vac/filter system. The media turns to dust when it the the object; you need to remove that or the entire action gets degraded.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Fixit View Post
                  Hi Loose nut,

I have used this HF media (link below) and it worked well for the HF benchtop that I had. I since have a larger unit and still use (bought a lot years ago) the same product with good success. Your question of crushed check the attachment for performance. Do look around and see if there are any local providers you might find a better price for a supplier vs HF.

https://www.harborfreight.com/50-lb-..._q=blast+media

TX
                  Mr fixit for the family
                  Chris
                  It is probably a little cheaper at HF but I can't cross the boarder (covid) at the moment or not likely in the foreseeable future. I can get crush glass, beads, slag and others locally. Crushed glass is cheap beads are costly but I wouldn't use all that much. I should have mention that my blast booth is a suction type not a pressure system.

It was much easier when I still went to work, I just took the bits to be blasted with me and used the bead blaster there. I can live with a rougher surface since most of my work is painted, probably go with the crushed glass. Thanks guys.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

I looked up TSC Canada and they sell the black coal based stuff and what looks to be non-siica sand. How does sand compare to crushed glass.

P.S. is TSC changing there name to Peavey Mart everywhere or just in Canada? Seems like a stupid move since TSC is a well known brand.

Comment

Working...
                    X