No announcement yet.

OT: Going solar power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have wondered if there ever was a good way to store heat. Concentrated solar, heat storage medium, big vacuum bottle?

The idea is kind of the reverse of the ice block 'cold storage' system which I remember being used on the prairies. You could have cool until the end of summer. Why not heat until the end of winter-

What might be the state of the art in this area?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
      Absolutely..... That is worth quite a bit, even if the actual accounting might not come out very far ahead. The solar here has kept the fridges going in 4 houses during outages..... everyone gets a half hour or at least until the fridge shuts off, every several hours. I rotate the cord among the houses on a schedule.

Outages are generally less than 2 or 3 days, but once it was almost 2 weeks for some. They were not within cord range so they were on their own. I should soon have a small portable genset that will run a 'fridge. I was putting it together when the cold weather hit. No fun working in the shed when it is -5F.

The hot water heat system here still needs electricity to run the thermostat and the circulator. And the downside to frozen radiators is a lot more than any genset would cost.
      Yes, and there is also the Geek side of things. I enjoy playing with stuff like this. Keeps the brain sharp.

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
        I have wondered if there ever was a good way to store heat. Concentrated solar, heat storage medium, big vacuum bottle?

The idea is kind of the reverse of the ice block 'cold storage' system which I remember being used on the prairies. You could have cool until the end of summer. Why not heat until the end of winter-

What might be the state of the art in this area?
        I remember the "zero heat house" fad several years ago. The houses were super insulated and sealed, foot thick walls with staggered studs, air intake/exhaust well underground extending a hundred foot or more from the house to preheat the air exchanges. The claims were that just body heat, heat from appliances and lights etc would be enough to heat the house. Somewhere along the line that fad died pretty quickly for some reason, expense would be one guess.

Your idea of storing the heat or cold both rely on one thing, super insulation, no matter the mechanics of the remainder of the system. Didn't the old time ice houses use something like straw bails for thick walls to insulate?

Beyond a reasonable amount of insulating, including windows, doors etc. , attempting to go much further for a home more than likely just destroys any payback. Payback is the whole name of the game. High efficiency heat/cool equipment is also very important.
        Last edited by Sparky_NY; 02-14-2021, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Made some progress today. Had a pro come and cut down two HUGE oak trees, one about 3ft the other close to 4ft dia. One in the rear of the lot would have shaded the solar panels during the first few hours of each day. The other one had nothing to do with solar but was close to my pole barn building and would absolutely flatten it if it or any large limbs ever came down. We get some pretty good storms in the spring here and although the tree was healthy I feel a lot better with it gone. I only had the pro drop the trees, myself and a friend will cut them up and remove, he heats with wood. I have cut down a lot of trees here but better judgement said leave these two for a pro (with insurance !) Its been a rainly week and this coming week is pretty much the same so cutting up the trees will have to wait until it dries up out there.

The tree in the rear can be seen also, much further back.

Click image for larger version  Name:	trees.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.90 MB ID:	1928384
          Last edited by Sparky_NY; 02-14-2021, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post

I hope I made it clear earlier but those pics are NOT of my system. Those pics are the system my friend bought at auction,
            Umm. No, I and you know exactly what we are talking about.

Ill bet you a Nickle you love your system?? JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

I had a friend in Iowa who was off-grid. He had a wind powered generator on a tower that he built. It was a 12 or 24 Volt system with automotive batteries for storage and an inverter for the refrigerator, lights, and the few appliances that they used. Probably a 1K or 2K system all together and zero connection to the grid. Gas heat, of course. And they got along, even in Iowa winters. That makes your planned 5K system sound like a Cadillac.

I am about to pull the trigger on a back-up generator for my house. We can get week or two long outages with hurricanes and once had one for several days due to an ice storm, which is a rare event here in SE Texas. But, speaking of which, we are under that threat tonight. The authorities are asking everyone to stay off the roads.

Anyway, I am looking at a 22K generator to do the whole house. And it will not have any battery back-up other than one for the starter. With the ice storm predicted for tonight, I wish it was already installed. This will take some financing, but perhaps I can look at solar with some storage batteries at some time in the future. I don't think the city would look kindly on a wind powered generator here.
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
              You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

The 'ice houses' were in fact insulated with straw bales. Dad and others would cut ice blocks from the shallow lake and truck them in.

As far as the super-insulated houses, I think there's probably an optimal compromise between air-tight and air-exchange for safety. Sure, you can greatly reduce the amount of heat you need for winter, and you can lessen the heat gain in summer using a more reflective roof and radiant barriers- plus you can take advantage of large thermal masses inside of the insulation to lessen thermal swings. It might be more difficult to control condensation as well. You can use proper siting and building orientation to lessen heat gain during the hottest part of the day. I'm pretty sure that in every case, this would lessen the profit for the builders, and it would push building inspectors into relatively unknown territory. And- would you spend an extra 100 grand now for a 30 year payback period? Pretty sure most people would say no- in most cases people are already pushed to the limit, and a bit past, just to have a normal place to begin with.

My house now has triple windows, put in because the woman of the house was cold in winter. And because she was hot in summer, her hubs put in the whole house air conditioning. The attic got extra insulation as well- but I don't think the walls were altered. I have a fresh air intake in the basement as part of the system, and the house sure can get cold when the wind is blowing- as it has done a lot this past month or so. Because of my hobbies, I don't think I'd want the house any tighter- as it is I have to draw air from the basement floor and expel it to keep a degree of freshness in the basement. Pretty sure I'd have a problem or two with an air-tight house.

I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                  I had a friend in Iowa who was off-grid. He had a wind powered generator on a tower that he built. It was a 12 or 24 Volt system with automotive batteries for storage and an inverter for the refrigerator, lights, and the few appliances that they used. Probably a 1K or 2K system all together.
                  This the stuff is what I am talking about. I am on photo voltaic now, because my shop is a 2 car garage!! No land. Hey land rich folks, gimme a lil slice for my shop? JR

Comment

Is there any kind of an ideal? Use all four or even five methods? Have the power grid, a windmill, a solar panel array, and a mini hydro system, batteries, and heat storage mass. At what point is it too clumsy to deal with all of it? How many of you have off-grid systems that don't have battery banks?

Comment

[QUOTE=darryand a mini hydro system, batteries, and heat storage mass. [/QUOTE]

This!! Mini Hydro.

I would love to some pictures/// I like it,,, JR

Comment

If you have a stream, here are some turbines you can use:

https://www.powerspout.com/

If you have a cheap source of combustible material (wood, biomass) you might consider a steam power plant:

https://www.backwoodshome.com/is-ste...n-your-future/

https://www.instructables.com/Power-...op-with-steam/

https://www.greensteamengine.com/

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                        USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Finally! A nice compact and efficient unit! And quiet too!

Comment

Good on them for putting a system together. But what a lot of hardware-

Comment

Are you putting in heat pumps heating?

Comment

Originally posted by Baz View Post
                                Are you putting in heat pumps heating?
                                Already use heat pumps. Its the most common method in the southern US.

Comment

Working...
                                X