Jacobs Rubber Flex Collets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacobs Rubber Flex Collets

I have been trying to get a set of rubber flex collets and a chuck with a D1-4 mount on it for a while now and finally won a set of collets on ebay Sunday night. The item number is 7604359506. I won them for $168. I recieved them today and they look like they have never been used. They were listed as new in one part and used in another and so I was wondering how good of shape they were in. I think it's been a while since these collets have been manufactured. Another set went for about $100 more and they didn't seem to be in as good as shape. Probably one of the better finds I have gotten off of ebay. Now if I could just find a chuck. Any of you guys out there use these collets on a regular basis and if so how do you like them. I use them at work and I really like them and find them to be very verstatile so I decided to get some for my home shop. Also, anyone know why someone like bison doesn't reproduce these collets and make new chucks for them, I believe they would sell like hot cakes.
    Jonathan P.

I have a set from 1/16 to 1-1/8 with the collet chuck. They work well in repetitive jobs or situations where you are not taking heavy cuts. They also don't mark work so are good for ground surfaces. However, I think 5C's are better for most applications - which is why they are more popular than the Jacobs collets. Email me if you want any other info.

Comment

I have a set with a L00 mount collet chuck,Rarely use it but I have one.

Comment

The collets used to be available new at the various tool supply places. PTS had them in 1999. You will be happy to know they were going for about $250. ea. Thats per collet !
        Last edited by daryl bane; 04-07-2006, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Does anyone have either one, or both of these sets?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/H2689

http://www.grizzly.com/products/H2690

I'd like to get a MT3 holder for my lathe and an R8 holder for my Mill. I don't need two sets of collets unless they are different for the MT3 / R8 holder but I would expect the collets to fit in either? It doesn't seem like Grizzy sells the different holds seperatly.

-Adrian

Comment

You can buy the holders separately from tool houses. Travers lists their house brand at $105 each for R8 or MT#3.

www.travers.com Their part #67-815-810.

The collets are ER 40. Despite what John S might say, their use in the lathe is limited. There are advantages to using them in the milling machine, but you will still find yourself using the old R8 collets a good part of the time as the holders take up room and obscure your view of the mill and cut when doing close work.
            Jim H.

Comment

I just want them for holding drill bits instead of using a drill chuck.

Comment

Got the R8 holder with Er32 collets but not the morse.
                I use a backplate mounted ER holder on the lathe and this does away with any problems that Jim mentions like thru hole limitations.

The main advantage with ER collets is there are no gaps like R8 and 5C's

See here, 4th item down.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/en-gb/dept_205.html

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by HWooldridge
                  I have a set from 1/16 to 1-1/8 with the collet chuck. They work well in repetitive jobs or situations where you are not taking heavy cuts. They also don't mark work so are good for ground surfaces. However, I think 5C's are better for most applications - which is why they are more popular than the Jacobs collets. Email me if you want any other info.
                  I thought about getting a 5c bison chuck before I decided to get the jacobs setup. I decided that even at today's prices and the limited availability that I could probably get the jacobs setup cheaper than the 5c chuck and the collets in 1/64 increments and it would consume a lot less storage space. I agree that the 5c's hold better but it cost a fortune to have the collets in 1/64 increments and still you have to be within + or - .002 or so to use them. If you trying to hold an oddball size 5c's don't always fit the bill. What I like about the jacobs is that 11 collets covers such a wide range.
                  Jonathan P.

Comment

If you just want them for holding drills, get an Albrecht chuck instead. Much better and simpler.

Get a genuine Albrecht though, not a look alike import.
                    Jim H.

Comment

Originally posted by JCHannum
                      If you just want them for holding drills, get an Albrecht chuck instead. Much better and simpler.

Get a genuine Albrecht though, not a look alike import.
                      I already have a decent albrecht chuck w/JT to MT3 adapter (came w/my lathe) but it's only good up to 1/2" and it sticks out a good 5-6" from the end of my tail stock amplifing any tailstock alignment problems. I've also got an imported 5/8" chuck w/R8 for my Bridgeport but I rarely use it for the same reason.

-Adrian

Comment

What is the pin spacing on the D1-4? I have a Jacobs chuck but can't find specs on D1-4. John

Comment

John, a D1-4" is 2.5005" diameter of the taper at the large end. The pins are 5/8". Center of spindle to center of pins is 1-5/8".
                          Jim H.

Comment

JChannum, do you happen to know the difference in the specs between the d1-4 and the d1-3. My lathe has a d1-4 but the 10ee's at work have a d1-3 I've been told but they look close to the same, but I've never taken any measurements off of either one of them to compare.
                            Jonathan P.

Comment

The D1-3" is smaller, 2.1250" at the largest dimension of the taper. They use 7/16" pins, but the distance from the spindle center to pin center is 1.391".
                              Jim H.

Comment

Working...
                              X