Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple 3D Printed Tool - Fastest Way to Proceed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will see your four-not-of-a-kind and raise you one. Earlier today I lost my internet service due to the snow storm so I wanted to play a DVD here in my office as I worked. It had two of those yin-yang things you mentioned and they worked well. BUT, around the outer circumference of the DVD the case had a molded fence, I guess to protect the edge. And there were four depressions in that fence as if to be finger access to lift the disk. But at just the inner edge, right up against the DVD, there was a thin continuation of the fence. So when you try to get your finger under the disk, using these depressions, YOU CAN'T. "HA, HA, we fooled you."

I guess I need to add a vacuum pump to the tool's design to suck it up.

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
    Paul, even if it's just to figure out the shape that works best for her? I suspect there's some deep childhood story related to Plasticene here....

I have to admit that those stupid DVD cases have fought my own workings over the years. As mentioned some give up their discs fairly easily. Others act like you're trying to steal their children.

Doing a survey of about a dozen cases just now I found that there seems to be four styles. One of the more common styles is a setup that looks like a yin-yang center. A light push on the center releases the disc very nicely. There's another which only showed up once in the dozen with a center button that pulls in the fingers and releases the disc equally nicely. For these no tool is needed as they pop right out very easily

Then there's the style that look like that center button style but the center doesn't move and the disc might as well be welded in place. That's one which looks like it might work if you have a conical inside taper to pull the fingers inward and make it so it just fits through the center hole of the disc.

And one more that would need a tool but I've got no idea what it should be shaped like. It has a fixed + sign like ridge and four little arrow heads. The arrow heads flex in and down but the + sign ridges prevent me from pushing them far enough to let the disc spring free. Or perhaps it locks again when I ease off. Due to the ridges I'm not sure what sort of tool would be needed.

In the end the best tool might well end up being to ditch the cases and put all the discs into some other form of storage. I know that I kept my computer CD and DVD discs in pages that hold four discs and have a stack of those in a 3 ring binder. But frankly the pockets hold the discs as strongly as the darn DVD case hubs. So that's no improvement. I'm wondering if she might be better off simply storing all of them in individual sandwich size zip lock bags?
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Would you believe we still have VHS tapes?

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
      I mean, at this point you should think about ripping all of your DVD's and storing them digitally, if for no other reason, it's getting harder and harder to find DVD/CD players, it's an obsolete storage medium.
      Paul A.
      SE Texas

Comment

Last night I did some more searching after I started this thread. I found a YouTube video about this exact subject, creating a pistol grip using Fusion 360. He did not use lofting, but instead started with a box that he inserted from the menus and specified it with a grid of lines all around it. Then he could stretch it by moving the line segments of that grid or the points where they intersect or the areas enclosed by them. He went from a completely rectangular box to a pistol grip in just a few minutes. Here is the link to that video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7JS4m3gpwM

And here is where I am after starting with a simple box:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fusion360PistolGrip1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.0 KB ID:	1928621
        By following the video, it was far easier than I ever thought. It still needs work. The two middle finger depressions on the top need to be deeper and the back side needs to be rounded a bit. Then I need to put a threaded hole in the front, at an angle. Of course, it took me longer than a few minutes: a few hours was more like it. But I am learning.

This just may actually work. I can't wait to start printing.
        Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 02-16-2021, 12:15 AM.
        Paul A.
        SE Texas

Comment

Before you get too excited, You may want to re-think the whole deal.

I believe you will find that the "pistol grip" is unsuitable for many people with arthritis. The problem is that the pressure is off-center, and there is a torque on the wrist and hand / fingers as a result. The handle must be gripped strongly to counter-act that, which is just what arthritic fingers cannot do well..

You may be more successful with a t-handle arrangement, so that the grip is pretty much just to get it aligned, and the pressure is centered under the hand. It might be necessary to put finger holes, because a single large item between fingers may be painful, where several joined-up thinner ones are not. Kind of like "brass knuckles".
          CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
          Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
          Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
          I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
          Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

My wife will quickly let me know if it does not work for her. That is part of the reason why I am thinking about doing it in two parts. I expect revisions.

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
            Before you get too excited, You may want to re-think the whole deal.

I believe you will find that the "pistol grip" is unsuitable for many people with arthritis. The problem is that the pressure is off-center, and there is a torque on the wrist and hand / fingers as a result. The handle must be gripped strongly to counter-act that, which is just what arthritic fingers cannot do well..

You may be more successful with a t-handle arrangement, so that the grip is pretty much just to get it aligned, and the pressure is centered under the hand. It might be necessary to put finger holes, because a single large item between fingers may be painful, where several joined-up thinner ones are not. Kind of like "brass knuckles".
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

Comment

You can always ask first, , maybe with examples........ just sayin........
              CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
              Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
              Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
              I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
              Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

I've got a couple of those cases with the protective rim too! And heck ya! They are almost child proof. And a higher claim for security I cannot imagine!

More and more I think you're going to end up with some sort of easily used slip covers for the discs..... Just sayin'.... But hey, best of luck with the process.
                Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                  My wife will quickly let me know if it does not work for her. That is part of the reason why I am thinking about doing it in two parts. I expect revisions.
                  Which handle designs are likely to be rejects can be predicted by what kitchen tools she finds cause her hand pain. Is the typical "T" handled jar opener an issue? Is lifting a full measuring quart cup (pistol handle) painful?

Comment

Working...
                  X