OT: funny snow blower operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gellfex View Post
    I went to the snowblower forums looking for chain advice, and many said better tires were a smarter 1st move.
    I find that odd. I wonder if these guys had ever used chains in the past? How can a bare tire compete with what amounts to metal cleats dug into the ice?
    I have used various snowblowers with all manner of tires, some with very aggressive pattern tires and can honestly say that in heavy going up a steep or icy driveway there is nothing that comes even close to a decent set of chains.

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post

I find that odd. I wonder if these guys had ever used chains in the past? How can a bare tire compete with what amounts to metal cleats dug into the ice?
      I have used various snowblowers with all manner of tires, some with very aggressive pattern tires and can honestly say that in heavy going up a steep or icy driveway there is nothing that comes even close to a decent set of chains.
      the guys there seem to know their stuff and spoke knowledgeably about the noise and vibration of chains. I guess I'll find out. I figured these 40-year-old tires didn't owe me anything. For what it's worth I don't have any hills, I just rarely had traction. It's entirely possible my biggest problem is I'm not scraping down close enough to the pavement.

Comment

Sorry gelflx, not aimed at you by any means, but when you say noise and vibration were their main complaints about chains I have to laugh.
        I have to wonder just how big the crosslinks are these guys are using, never mind how quiet their snowblowers must be in order for the chain noise to overwhelm the noise from the snowblower itself.

Other than the aid in traction I would not even know that I had chains on. Just bewildered how these guys derived the conclusions they came to.????

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
          Sorry gelflx, not aimed at you by any means, but when you say noise and vibration were their main complaints about chains I have to laugh.
          I have to wonder just how big the crosslinks are these guys are using, never mind how quiet their snowblowers must be in order for the chain noise to overwhelm the noise from the snowblower itself.

Other than the aid in traction I would not even know that I had chains on. Just bewildered how these guys derived the conclusions they came to.????
          Never used chains in my life on any vehicle, so I dunno. I read other threads too where chains were controversial unless the situation was a steep hill or such. My next big project is changing the gear ratio to the axles to slow this sucker down, the Predator engine revs too high but I don't want to lose throwing power.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/thre.../#post-1763473
          Last edited by gellfex; 02-18-2021, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Nice looking tire in that 2nd pic! Is that what you have on there now?
            These are very similar to what I'm running on mine.

Fortunately my yard is flat too but often times in deep snow or going over a hump the extra traction the chains add is like night and day vs no chains. The only time they are noticeable is when the machine is not running and I'm moving it around on bare pavement. I would not use a snowblower without chains, I've tried it too many times with other's machines, no thanks.

I have a great respect for what chains can do and probably owe my life to them on numerous occasions. I have used them on graders, loaders, tractors, and large trucks so I may be a bit biased. That being said, when traction is what you need chains are the answer.

Hopefully your snow events will soon be over and all of this will all be a moot point, for now.

Comment

Working...
            X