No announcement yet.

OT: Odd problems with the "new" Ranger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It used to be that you could measure battery voltage with a meter, and see the current voltage, the drop in voltage as it was cranking, then the increase in voltage when the alternator came up in rpm- even at idle. The only thing you couldn't tell easily was whether there was significant charge current flowing. For that you would have to compare the initial 'at rest' voltage, then after a minute or so of running you shut it off for a minute and take another voltage reading. If the second reading is higher, you know that some charge flowed into the battery. Then you pull a battery post off and monitor whether the battery voltage drops on its own. You've just tested 3 or 4 systems on the vehicle.

A modern vehicle of course won't like you pulling the battery post off- the computer might decide to 'forget' what it needs to remember in order to keep the optimal settings to run the engine. But other than that, it's quite easy to determine if a battery is at fault or not.

I hate the game- looks like a bad battery, ok, replace it. Well, no that wasn't the problem (but you're already paid for it and won't get your money back) we think it's the computer, replace it. Well that didn't fix it either ($1000 or more later, and it's still broken) you need these new sensors. Later you find that a ground strap wasn't making the best of connection through a layer of paint-
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Here's something interesting I had with my van years ago- I've gone through a couple of batteries so far, and it wasn't a problem to have the battery out for a minute or so. Sometimes I'd do some work on it (like repair the alternator) and the battery post would be off for some time. Reconnecting the terminal would make a big spark- and I'd realize later that my subwoofer wasn't working. I'd find the battery fuse blown. Turns out the subwoofer amp had enough capacitors inside that it would keep the voltage to the electrical system up for a bit, but if it was too long and that voltage drained away, it would take a current surge to bring that voltage back up. Sometimes the fuse couldn't take it. And when the battery started going bad, the act of starting the engine would sometimes blow the amplifier fuse. It took me a while to figure out why the fuse to the amp was blowing when there was nothing wrong with the amp-
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Fun fact - I have a 2019 Ranger and I think it is one of the nicest vehicles I've ever owned. It has a few quirks but being a first year new model you expect a few. I hate the auto start function and can be totally bypassed by plugging in a night lite into the 120 volt outlet. If that sees a power draw, it will not shut the engine off at any stop.

Comment

So, All the time I was up north, the autostart was AFU and presumably the battery was not being charged.

On the way back, the temp got up over 45F, and everything started working. Evidently the sensor has a temperature sensitive problem in it. (Yes, it previously did the autostart in cold temps, once the engine warmed up, so NO it is not due to a designed-in cold temperature feature)

It's still getting replaced. Probably tomorrow.

Originally posted by JeffKranz View Post
          Fun fact - I have a 2019 Ranger and I think it is one of the nicest vehicles I've ever owned. It has a few quirks but being a first year new model you expect a few. I hate the auto start function and can be totally bypassed by plugging in a night lite into the 120 volt outlet. If that sees a power draw, it will not shut the engine off at any stop.
          Agree on the "nicest vehicle".

What's this 120V outlet? You must have a Lariat or other "loaded" version. Or is is an option that this does not have.
          2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

120V outlet sounds like a typo to me, perhaps 12V outlet? The 12V cigarette outlet on my car normally turns off when I shut down and remove the key, there probably is a position to keep it live, but I would have to read the handbook to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

What's this 120V outlet? You must have a Lariat or other "loaded" version. Or is is an option that this does not have.
              Sorry, I have the Lariat version... It has a 120V outlet in the rear of the console.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                120V outlet sounds like a typo to me, perhaps 12V outlet? The 12V cigarette outlet on my car normally turns off when I shut down and remove the key, there probably is a position to keep it live, but I would have to read the handbook to find out.
                No, some variants do have a 100W (?) 120V outlet as stated, behind the console, facing the rear seats.

I am not clear if that is a "package" component, or an independent option, but 100W is not very significant. Maybe run your shaver if you live in the truck.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

he thing has an "autostop engine" feature
                  Ooops, missed that one. Reading comp??

Trucks, electronics? No thanks.. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

No, some variants do have a 100W (?) 120V outlet as stated, behind the console, facing the rear seats.

I am not clear if that is a "package" component, or an independent option, but 100W is not very significant. Maybe run your shaver if you live in the truck.
                    Charging laptops would probably be one of the major uses.

The new F150 Hybrid can be had with up to a 7.2kw AC output option for $750. Thats pretty neat. https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-f-150-hybrid/

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post

Charging laptops would probably be one of the major uses.

Won't work, many draw about 3A AC, even though actual power is lower than 100W. Shuts the inverter right down. BTDT.

Phones, sure, if you do not have a 12V charger.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by RMinMN View Post

I got caught in a construction zone in the summer. It was hot so the air conditioner was working. Long wait. Engine shut itself off, then restarted itself to get air conditioner working again, then shut off as the interior of the vehicle was cool again. Engine only run when necessary, fan operated while the engine was stopped.
                        Hmm. When I was driving truck I never stopped the engine, always lit. Things ran for 300 thousand miles.

Went to a place up in Big Bear Cal that was off the grid. Had an old chevy V8 gasoline engine running the generator. It ran non stop for the years that I know of.

The starting and stopping of an engine has been said to decrease the life of the engine. My folks have a Ford hybrid. They love it. I love that my Parents have it.

My car has a 7500rpm (limited with electronics) Chevy 355ci fuel injected monster hooked up to my suspension I built on an Art Morrison frame.

Hmm. my Mom and Dad are weird lol JR
                        My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Working...
                        X