whats in your shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats in your shop

Hello I am new to this board and to machining. just wondering what kind of tools and machines everyone has

Expensive ones.

Comment

12,000 lbs. and up

You may find that an increasing number of people are becoming sensitive to this question, especially with the turnover rate on some of these forums. Den

Comment

In a word: RUST
        Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

What sorts of things are you interested in making?

Lots of guys (women included) start with fairly basic tools like hacksaws, hammers, hand drill, set of files and screwdrivers.

A common step up is a small lathe (size of course depends on what you're gonna do with it and what kind of machines are in your area).

After a lathe, a small grinder and metal cutting bandsaw are common "upgrades".

Many wish lists then tack on a milling machine (again, size dependent on use and availability of machines).

If you lean toward fabricating larger, heavier stuff (cars, trucks, carts, rocket sleds, etc. ) then welding may be of interest. (Also good for artistic stuff).

Den

Comment

Well the list would include a Bridgeport, a dearly loved Van Norman, lathe, surface grinder, layout plate, RPC and a bunch of unfinished projects. One of these days Ill get back to them. Funny how ones life ebbs and flows allowing or denying the pursuit of all things metal.

rock-give me another beer, I'm being poetic (or is that pathetic?)-rat
            Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

You want my address and vacation schedule too?

For an unknown, that's not the kind of question to be asked here. Where are you located and what are your interests?

Comment

Originally posted by woofer98
                Hello I am new to this board and to machining. just wondering what kind of tools and machines everyone has
                Welcome woofer, you wil have to show yours first mate. If it`s not as impressive as ours....... then maybe they will

Ken
                Ken.

Comment

I've got a Grizzly G1007 mill drill and a G4016 lathe, but don't tell anyone ;-/
                  Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by woofer98
                    just wondering what kind of tools everyone has
                    I got a screw driver (chipped blade), a crescent wrench (made in china), a hammer (actually a brick, doubles as a door stop), and sand paper (actually the brick again). I love my tools JRouche
                    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

A pictureis worth a thousand words

Tools check this out. www.cp-tel.net/mary/mary-index.htm
                      Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                      http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                      http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

What's in my shop? To a disinterested second party, hard to dispose of JUNK! To me, good stuff. Tons of it.

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche
                          I got a screw driver (chipped blade), a crescent wrench (made in china), a hammer (actually a brick, doubles as a door stop), and sand paper (actually the brick again). I love my tools JRouche
                          See J that's the trouble... those imported screwdriver chisels are made from soft steel. You just grind them till it's red hot and then spit on it to temper. You might be able to use your door stop but your arms might fall off.

I've got ladybugs in my shop.
                          Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

well i kinda figued most people would be sensative about what have in their shop, but I just wanna know cause as i start messing around more and learning to do more the trade I wanna wanna get some stuff , Na for real I kinda wanna get a feel on the importance of having certain tools, on a scale of 1 to 10

as for what i have in my shop, a bandsaw/ press/ tig and mig welder/ table saw, drill press, and various other hand tools

one other question if so many peps get upset about the question being asked then y do so many of you post pictures of your tools on here. or to sign up on alot of web forums people show their email, their state and city of were they live. I do agree with alot of you thought I have had stuff stolen before but it wasnt because of something i posted on the internet it was because some have nots decided to enter a area of the neigborhood were people get up everymoring and go to work to get what they have and decided to get that same stuff the easyway.
                            Last edited by woofer98; 04-07-2006, 11:54 PM.

Comment

yeah, and JR makes 18 cylinder radials with that stuff on the kitchen table.

get some of the old English books, the amateur's workshop, the beginners workshop and the amateur's lathe - It will give a great appreciation of what can be accomplished with hand tools and a small lathe (mostly myford in those books. It takes time to assemble a high quality shop as most try for high quality industrial stuff at hobbyist prices...you could just go drop a 100k but that takes all the fun out of it

don't know why anyone would be upset, except what someone with 10+ years has acquired isn't all the applicable to a newbie. If I were you, I'd be looking for a used NA lathe and mill next, then take a few years off to fully accessorize them then go bank into the market for a surface and tool & cutter grinder.
                              Last edited by Mcgyver; 04-08-2006, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X