TTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bented View Post

If buying a new machine do they offer HSK as well?
    Not that I'm aware of. Just bt-30 and r8/tts. My knowledge of Tormach is next to zilch beyond what I've been trying to cram in my head today before I go look at one in an hour.

Comment

You do realize that the HSK suggestion was a joke of course.

Comment

I do some 3D surfacing with the PCNC1100S3, but I try to only do stuff I can use 1/8inch or larger to finish. The 5120 spindle speed really is a limiting factor with the smaller end mills. I think if I was going to use it more as a mold machine than I do I would see about just replacing the spindle with a collar and an ISO20 24K spindle like I installed on the Speedmaster mills. They do offer a 24K spindle option like that, but it just uses a regular ER spindle nose.

The limitation for 3D work IMO is as much acceleration as spindle speed. The default acceleration setting is 15iss as per Tormach tech support. It seems to have a good enough trajectory planner so that is not as bad as it sounds when running in CV mode. In ES mode that acceleration can dog you a little. I am not unhappy with it over all. Just remember its a light (relatively) machine. Its not light like a Taig or a Sherline, but its not a Hurco or a Bridgeport either.

Being "manual" tool change is not that bad if you set it up right, organize a tool rack, and use the tool table. Push a button and the tool drops out in your hand or is at least pulled out by hand. Stick the new tool in, release the button, and press start. I do the same thing with the ISO20 spindles.
        Last edited by Bob La Londe; 02-18-2021, 06:45 PM.
        *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Thanks Bob. I ended up buying it, and will hopefully have it home and making chips by next weekend. I have to sell and move out my excello mill by then, and possibly my shaper. I think I have the excello sold, and am calling a guy about the shaper today. I'm not expecting it to run like the haas' at work, but for the jobs I plan on running with it, it will be fine.

Pretty much what I figured regarding spindle speed and small tools. There's no free lunch there, was more wondering about the controls ability to handle the code. I don't plan on doing much of it, but nice to know the control won't choke itself to death when I want to run something like that. Looking at it last night I there lots of room for a secondary high speed spindle off the side of the head should I ever go down that road eventually. The guy I bought it from echoed your comments too.

Kind of an unexpected purchase as I wasn't really looking for one yet, but almost couldn't turn it down. Not a screaming deal, but it is very well tooled up, and in really good shape. I think we both did ok. Now the work begins to clean out a spot for it . I wish it was summer so I could just move everything outside.

Originally posted by Bented View Post
          You do realize that the HSK suggestion was a joke of course.
          Honestly I can never tell anymore

Comment

Working...
          X