GoJo/Goop hand cleaner dispenser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoJo/Goop hand cleaner dispenser

I use GoJo cream hand cleaner. It comes in a bucket & at first I just dipped out what i needed. But it's hygroscopic and after a while it turned all soupy and un-dippable.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_15637.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.7 KB ID:	1929020

So I got a dispenser that holds an upside-down bucket and delivers the cream by pushing a plunger. But gravity didn't work well enough and the pump got air locked. Also the top turned soupy from the air exposure.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_15636.jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.1 KB ID:	1929021
    Then I got the great idea of using a camper's food squeeze​​ tube. Worked great - no soupiness and easily controlled dispensing. The fly in the ointment was that the tube was not big enough and required too-frequent refilling.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_15638.jpg Views:	0 Size:	7.2 KB ID:	1929022

The latest​​ version is a caulking gun. Years ago I cleaned and saved an empty caulk tube, thinking that someday it might be useful for dispensing something that doesn't come in a tube. The picture shows it in place under a shelf next to the sink. Held in place with a friction-fit bracket. It couldn't be more convenient to use. And zero soupiness.

It does require refilling, but much less frequently than the food tube & not a big deal. For rev 1, I put a pin hole in the tube's "piston" to let trapped air out, otherwise I got stored pressure and run-on when dispensing.

​​ Click image for larger version  Name:	image_15639.jpg Views:	0 Size:	16.1 KB ID:	1929023

Refilling involves scooping the GoJo out of its bucket with a paddle and plopping it in the tube. The engineer in me will not be satisfied until I have a better way. But problems like that are best solved in my dark lower brain without too much conscious effort.

How about a compressed air caulking gun? Simple button push rather than needing to squeeze the handle.

So far I've just used the sold-in-a-pump-can style, but eventually when they get low they do stop pumping until you shift the goop around.
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
      How about a compressed air caulking gun? Simple button push rather than needing to squeeze the handle.
      Yeah! And add a solenoid for the trigger, actuated by IOT station: "Alexa, gimme a very-dirty-hands shot".

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
        I use GoJo cream hand cleaner. It comes in a bucket & at first I just dipped out what i needed. But it's hygroscopic and after a while it turned all soupy and un-dippable.
        So thats what is going on... I hoarded a few large containers of the stuff cause I like it. Then noticed it went watery, unusable really. Neat workaround. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

I use this and I've never had it go watery on me.

Comment

OOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR just put the lid back on and it won't turn to soup.
            Man you guys would complicate taking a piss.

-D
            DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
              Man you guys would complicate taking a piss.

-D
              That's because many don't know about the "benefits" smooth kind, as opposed to the kind with 60-grit rocks in it.
              Ooops. I work in one of those jobs where you wash you hands *before* you pee.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
                I use this and I've never had it go watery on me.
                Sorry but that stuff is garbage compared to the GoJo hand cream. Yes the cream goes watery, but it's still well worth it.
                21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

At work, I start my cleaning with a splash of diesel and a rag to get the worst of it, then follow up with D&L hand cream and a fresh rag to get most of it. Enough to where you can see your hands again, and not leave a greasy crust on the steering wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

So I got a dispenser that holds an upside-down bucket and delivers the cream by pushing a plunger. But gravity didn't work well enough and the pump got air locked. Also the top turned soupy from the air exposure.

Click image for larger version Name:	image_15636.jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.1 KB ID:	1929021
                    I dispense a different brand of cleaner with their dispenser. There is provision at the bottom of the container (top when inverted for use) to poke a tiny vent hole that prevents the air lock. It also prevents reuse of the container, which is not a problem for me.

Comment

I use this [pump dispenser] and I've never had it go watery on me.
                      The orange must be different formula, cause there is air in that container. Or maybe there's not enough water vapor in the air to liquefy it. But once the vapor is absorbed the partial pressure outside should replenish it. I dunno.

Comment

mcmaster sells a number of wall mount dispensers that use pre-bagged product you just slap in and go.
                        -paul

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                          OOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR just put the lid back on and it won't turn to soup.
                          Uh ... no -it will! Have I given you the impression of being so stupid that I would leave the lid off?
                          Last edited by Bob Engelhardt; 02-18-2021, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

Sorry but that stuff is garbage compared to the GoJo hand cream. Yes the cream goes watery, but it's still well worth it.
                            I bet it's better than watery hand cleaner...

Comment

I bet it's better than watery hand cleaner...
                              Nope! Gojo works fine when it's gone watery. Actually even better sometimes.

There's actually no water in it that I know of. It's petroleum based. Trust me, I've used that orange ****e at ever business and school I've been too. And it sucks. Majorly. I ordered some gojo at work because it's the only thing that gets carbon off my hands.
                              21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                              1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Working...
                              X