X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tom_d
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    While the discussion is still educational, the point is now moot for me. I ordered (I think) an 5HP R8 machine.
    Congratulations. Pictures when it arrives!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    My VanNorman 22LU has NMTB 50 taper spindle, and only a 2hp motor.
    But it is all gear drive, and can twist the ball off a trailer hitch ! ! !

-Doozer

Leave a comment:

• Tundra Twin Track
    replied
    My Varnamo is 40 taper on Vertical Head it came with 7-1/2 HP as OEM I repowered it with a 5 HP.I couldn’t imagine having a R-8 on a Machine of that size,it’s all Gearhead.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied

The TTS collet is ground flat on the face so it does not stick out of the spindle when tightened. This allows the collar on the TTS tool to register on the spindle face. The collar is also hallowed on the back to help make sure the outer rim registers every time. They repeat extremely well.
    So it hits the spindle. OK. That is why you are grinding collet flat, for clearance, and not to provide registry surface.

Leave a comment:

• macona
    replied
    30 taper is another option. My mill came R8 and I noticed in the Supermax manual there was a part number for the 30 taper spindle. Ordered that and the nose piece to go with it for somewhere around $300. Its great. I never installed the drive dogs, I have never needed them. Thats with a spindle motor that's 5hp and can do 3x that for short periods.

I have been using the BT30 flavor which uses a 12mm drawbar thread vs CAT which uses 1/2". This also allows me to use ISO30 which is the same thing as BT30 but no drive flange.

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied

No worries.

3:2 pulley drive with a 1-3ph VFD. I won't know if it has any chance at 5HP at any speed until I see the VFD and look it up. Hopefully its accessible. Lots of 3.7Kw VFDs out there that won't give you 3.7Kw off single phase. Polyspede makes one that will, and now there are a few others.
    I like your project. I have a couple Hitachi and Yuasa units, Also some open frame VFD's I was going to use with my horizontal mill,

Let me know what you need? Trade something nice and as equal.

You dont want anything less then a 5kw system, you just dont, JR

Edit: I should have said, for most of the machines will benefit with a 5kw inverter vs a smaller one.

My Lil horizontal Mill, love it, uses a 3.7kw VFD.

So yeah, it works,,, JR
    Last edited by JRouche; 02-21-2021, 12:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    Sounds like a tooth timing belt drive with a VFD.
    Way better than a Reeves. Sounds nice.
    Yes then you should get the full 5hp.
    -D

Leave a comment:

• Bob La Londe
    replied
    Originally posted by Doozer View Post
    Was I previously gunning at you?
    I am man enough to say I am sorry once and a while.
    -D
    No worries.

If it is a Reeves drive machine, don't expect 5hp at the spindle.
    Too much friction and heat losses.--Doozer
    3:2 pulley drive with a 1-3ph VFD. I won't know if it has any chance at 5HP at any speed until I see the VFD and look it up. Hopefully its accessible. Lots of 3.7Kw VFDs out there that won't give you 3.7Kw off single phase. Polyspede makes one that will, and now there are a few others.

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied

Glad to see you pointing that canon at somebody else this time. LOL

Was I previously gunning at you?
    I am man enough to say I am sorry once and a while.

-D

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    If it is a Reeves drive machine, don't expect 5hp at the spindle.
    Too much friction and heat losses.

--Doozer

Leave a comment:

• Bob La Londe
    replied
    While the discussion is still educational, the point is now moot for me. I ordered (I think) an 5HP R8 machine.

Leave a comment:

• Bob La Londe
    replied
    But I am not pushing anything, except maybe deliverance from ignorance.
    --Doozer
    Glad to see you pointing that canon at somebody else this time. LOL

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    NMTB40 has drive tangs.
    R-8 does not.
    Torque drive capacity has your answer.

-Doozer
    Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post

This will come as a surprise to you, but not everyone has the desire or need to push everything to the max. Huge amounts of quality work have come from R8 machines for many, many decades. Bigger, faster & more expensive is often not the best choice.
    This may come as a surprise to you,
    but I am not commenting on anyone 's desires or needs.
    I just made a statement about torque capacity of 2 different taper systems.
    Bob asked if R-8 can transmit 5hp worth of load.
    Sounds like he was interested in bigger and faster to me.?.?.?.?
    But I am not pushing anything, except maybe deliverance from ignorance.

--Doozer

Leave a comment:

• Bented
    replied

I'm not sure I added anything to the conversation except to satisfy myself that its not unreasonable to have issues punching a 1" drill into mild style with that machine at recommended speed and feed. It would be nice if the machine manufacturer provided a tested RPM/HP/TORQUE power curve for your guys to use in calculating cuts. Of course it doesn't help if its more than the servos can handle.
    I suspect that some manufacturers like to use a wide speed range in their marketing. A claimed 200-5000 RPM range for this machine.
    The spindle is amazingly quiet at all speeds however, the cooling fan is far louder then the motor itself.

Leave a comment:

• tom_d
    replied

There are also master holders for KWIK 200 from R8, so I could run my KWIK 200 holders, but it all hangs down below the quill. I had one for a while on an RF45 style mill.
    As soon as you start hanging tools out and away from bearing support you trash any advantages of a quick change set-up. This is further exaggerated when the quill is extended. Those things are just a gimmick as far as I'm concerned.

R-8 tooling doesn't require anything more than 1 to 1.5 horsepower. Only reason for 2 horsepower on the old 2J heads is for the power sucked up by the variable speed drive. The R-8 system is a wonderful way of holding tools, and its longevity in the field is testament to that, but if you can go with a #40 spindle I would recommend it. No need to go broke buying tooling on day one. Pick up holders as you need them. Buy or build your own tool setter so you can swap out cutters and retain Z position with ease and you're off and running.
    Last edited by tom_d; 02-20-2021, 03:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X