O.T. Need ampacities for low current applications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
    Most lamps and household extension cords use #18 AWG or smaller wire, yet are plugged into receptacles fused for 15 or 20 amps. Most fuses and breakers will hold overcurrent of 1.5 or 2 times rating for a minute or so. I have seen plugs with fuses rated for the wire size of the cord, but they were rather old. I think many European plugs have fuses, but not in the US.

They are available but are about $35 each:

https://www.mcmaster.com/fused-plugs/
    ”many european countries” = only in UK.
    They have their ”clever” ring circuit with 60A fuses and invidual fuse at every cord.

Comment

Yep, no fuses in a Schuko, anyhow.

The British have IIRC 13A in the plug standard, with a larger in some. Their plugs alone are bigger than an old US electric razor! And they have bus bar for contacts.

Of course, the standard 2 pin like Schuko was made almost the exact dimension of a dual "banana" plug, so those are now illegal for export from the US (at least on audio gear, where they were used for amplifier output connections to the speakers).

All connectors have problems.
      CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

It's for a floor lamp. The Lamp is a glass tube, 6" diameter with a chrome hollow rod maybe 3/8" D running through the glass and on to to the light bulb/shade stuff. The chrome rod got snapped off above the glass. I repaired it by placing a 5" piece of brass tube inside the hollow chrome center rod. The ID of the brass tube is too small to fit standard lamp cord. I found 14ga wire at the big box store and used that. The lamp is rated for two 60 watt bulbs but I will be using LED's. The insulation on the new wire is thinner than lamp cord (THHN) but the gauge is heavier. The lamp is plugged into a 15 amp receptacle directly beneath the lamp.

Comment

We has those 'huge' plugs in Africa- and they had 13 amp fuses in them. I accidentally snipped a wire with my cutters- I thought it was dead but it wasn't- it sounded like a gun shot and it blew a notch in my cutters before the fuse popped.

As far as that wire, the insulation is probably designed for higher temperature to begin with, and the wire itself is used as a heat sink, so keeping the gauge larger than actually required would be prudent. I've only ever seen it in single conductor, but if I'm right this is the standard wire that's used in bathroom and kitchen fixtures, etc. 18 ga if I'm not mistaken-
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Horst , I would look at a 16 AWG 2 wire extension cord or even 18 AWG if you can find it. The bonded twin wire is very small and may fit into your brass tube. If it does it is rated for the voltage and power and is fairly robust. More than durable enough for a lamp!
            Robin

Happily working on my second million Gave up on the first

Comment

Working...
            X