Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Spot Ends Mills

What is your "sweet spot" end mill?

For me its 1/4 inch. 3 flute 40+ degree bright carbide for aluminum and 4 flute AlTiN or TiAlN for most steels. It just works at 5000 rpm or 24000 rpm. Sure there are lots of caveats, but generally that size will do anything I need except long reach, and I do long reach with it if I have to.

I don't use it for everything. Larger mills CAN remove more material, and smaller mills are necessary for a lot of the work I do, but if I need to, but 1/4 inch seems to just work for most things.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

I keep going back to my TiAlN-coated HSS 10mm fine-toothed roughing endmill. Brilliant for what passes for hogging on my little mill. As it happens, I think I've found why I get such hideous "chatter" on my mill. Turns out, a lot of it's resonance. One source seems to be the electrics box and the other is the rod between the fine Z feed knob and the Z rack (no quill on this). For some reason there's something similar to a universal joint in that rod that not only makes the massive backlash (full turn of the knob which should be 1.5mm) even worse and also squeals horribly when it resonates. Now I (think I) have my tailstock fixed, I shall be replacing that with a solid rod... when I get a round tuit

Comment

Hi,

I've bought an awful lot of 3/8" solid carbide end mills over the years. And then used them with little mercy in various machining centers. But at home in my little G0704 mill, I tend to use either 3/8", 1/2" or 3/4" HSS. Just seems that those sizes work well for me at home.

Every mill has a minimum and maximum HSS or carbide size tool it works best with.
      If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

1/4" 4 flute carbide is my workhorse size. Ive also got a 1/2" roughing end mill i like when ive got a lot of material to remove, my mill seems to really like that size

Not an end mill, but a 2 inch carbide face mill is one of my most commonly used tools as well

Comment

2 range belt drive variable speed DC brushless motor so I like to run top motor RPM to get the most HP, which is 1500 or 3000 rpm. At 3000rpm 3/8” Coated carbide seems to be the sweet spot in steel. In aluminum I can run the same uncoated or HSS. Low range for drilling, facing, boring, or large EMs.

Comment

1/4", full cut in carbide from OSG or Niagara. And follow up the the cuts with ball nose, also four flute (all mine are 4 flute). Again top of the line carbide tool bits.

Thing is as a home shop guy I learned to take a second and relax. Just cut a lil bit slower and the carbide tooling is not broken. JR

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
              1/4", full cut in carbide from OSG or Niagara. And follow up the the cuts with ball nose,
              Why? To get a radius between two internal faces rather than a sharp corner?

Comment

[QUOTE=dalee100;n1929508]Hi,

I've bought an awful lot of 3/8" solid carbide end mills over the years. And then used them with little mercy in merc,,,, JR

Comment

Working...
                X