OT Adobe Acrobat Reader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Adobe Acrobat Reader

So thought that someone here might have an answer here. I had to purchase a new computor it has Windows 10 with Edge so after getting everything else set up and running found that I still needed to get Acrobat down loaded when I got to their web site I find that now to use the program you have to purchase an annual subscription. They seem to not offer their software free to anyone as it was before. After searching on line I found that this is the way they are now. Does anyone have any idea how to get it with out paying the monthly or yearly fee?? I did find that the PDFs will open in Edge but you can't edit them. Unless someone here knows how do to that it would also be OK Thanks
    "\

John From Slinger, Wisconsin

Acrobat or Acrobat reader? the latter is free.

If all you are trying to do is view PDFs, the PDF viewer in Edge is closer to perfect. If you need to edit (other than annotate which you can easily do), then you need the full blown ACROBAT, which is pricey or subscription. ACROBAT has never been free,,, only Acrobat reader is free. You can anotate or markup in the latter.

Comment

Acrobat Reader DC is available free. Its the basic tool. You can't do edits but you should be able to do forms which is no different than before. If you need a tool to reorder pages and stack PDFs together then look at program called PDFSAM.
      Mike
      Central Ohio, USA

Comment

So does the Acrobat Reader DC stll let you fill forms but just not go back at a later date to re edit them? If that is the case than that would be what I need it to do. I don't remember as to what I did have on the other computor but had it for many years and the Acrobat I had did let me edit but like I said had it for years so at that time I know I had downloaded it free. Could be at least 15 or more years ago. Also I tried Word some of the files will convert OK but than again some don't would be nice if Edge included edit in their program.

Comment

Lately, I prefer Foxit Reader over Adobe Acrobat. Adobe has some occasional glitches with saving and printing.

Comment

I use Nitro Pro PDF to edit files and add images and editable fields. I think I paid about $30 for it some time ago. They also have a free version (maybe a trial).
            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Foxit Reader.
              Way less freeze ups.

-D
              DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Old School View Post
                have any idea how to get it with out paying the monthly or yearly fee?? I did find that the PDFs will open in Edge but you can't edit them. Unless someone here knows how do to that it would also be OK Thanks
                "\
                Oh, now I see it. You want to edit. Reader is a browser, not much editing going on. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                  Edge may have limited editing capability:-
                  If you are talking about an Adobe product (PDF) you might have issues with translating to a knock off.

I would not do that. JR

Comment

Reader lets you fill in forms. Edge work fine too for annotations. . I rarely use Reader now, or its big expensive "Acrobat" brother (which is a truly antiqued non-intuitive POS). I have all installed via work.

OP - you have Edge... make sure it is updated (huge update late last year) . Open a pdf and fiddle... You will see a tool bar for drawing etc (uses the digital ink built into Win10) . If you have a touch screen and pen, or even just your finger, freehand. I scribble (ok... comment on, point to, sign and ask questions) on all types of PDF plans and documents all day right in my browser, save them and send in couple of keyclicks.

If it doesn't work to your liking plenty of alternatives.
                    Last edited by lakeside53; 02-21-2021, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                      Reader lets you fill in forms. Edge work fine too. I rarely use Reader now, or its big expensive "Acrobat" brother (which is a truly antiqued non-intuitive POS).
                      POS?

​​​​​​​You act like you were on that production team? What happened? It is still a good system. It has 128bit encrypt. No one can get through that. JR

Comment

it is a truly awful UI... and I've been using it since the beginning of time! Time moved on, Acrobat is stuck in mud. Too many old users to radically change how it works and looks, unattractive to the prospective new. and $$$

It is a bit nicer on a MAC, but that not for me,
                        Last edited by lakeside53; 02-21-2021, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post

It is a bit nicer on a MAC, but that not for me,
                          Hahaha! Frickin Apple head.

The funny thing is was i WAS SPEAKING BOTH ibm AND aPPLE AT THE SME TIME,,,,

I started with Machine Language. And went forward... JR

Comment

Thanks all for the input, I had already looked into all the info that Paul linked before as I have been on this for awhile. So after all the reading and taking the help I guess I will stay with what I have now and learn to make it work for me. I don't really need something to be free but just looking at something that doesn't lock you in to a yearly renewal as I am sure I would not be using it on a daily or even monthly basis. Like I said before that I am using Office 2016 Pro and can convert PDFs but some just don't convert as they were but I'm sure you can't have everything. Also by what I have read Edge may bring in editing in the future updates so will wait and see. Thanks again I knew people here would give me an up to date answer and suggestions.
                            Last edited by Old School; 02-21-2021, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X