It Pays To Shop Around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Pays To Shop Around

Earlier I was in the shop and I spotted a space that I had not thought of using before. I had some boxes in front of it so it wasn't very visible but when I cleared that mess up, it jumped out at me. It is under one side of a work bench. So I took some measurements and started searching for some kind of cabinet, with drawers that would fit there and utilize as much of the space as possible. After searching some of the usual places where tool chests and cabinets can be found with little luck, I decided to try Walmart. As luck would have it, I found a three draw office style cabinet that just fit in both width and height. It has one file drawer so some tall things will fit and two additional drawers that are about 5 or 6 inches deep. That should store some larger items that do not fit well on my wall shelves. It was about $126 with free shipping.

I was curious so I tried another search for it by the manufacturer and model number and sure enough, other places have it with the same color even. At Overstock it was $105.39. Still with free shipping and the delivery date was only four days as opposed to about two weeks from Walmart.

It pays to shop around.

It is on wheels and there will be about 10 to 12 inches of empty space behind it so I am thinking about designing a rack for short pieces of stock to attach to the back of it. Perhaps some lengths of PVC pipe or I had an idea about using that square mesh fencing sold in farm stores for a stock rack once. I can just roll it out when I need a piece that is stored there.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    ... I can just roll it out when I need a piece that is stored there.
    Yes, roll-outs are great. Years ago Sears sold rolling tool cabinets that were absurdly low; they looked like something one might find in a shop where all the employees were children or little people.

I mentally dismissed them until it occurred to me that they would fit nicely under my workbench. I bought one and rolled it under sideways, i.e., the drawers face to the side when it's pulled out. This works perfectly for me. The handle on the cabinet is on the right side so using it to roll the thing in and out is easy. The drawers pull out towards me when I'm working at the bench; I don't have to walk around to grab a tool.

A further feature is the fact that the cabinet is a few inches shorter than the bottom of the workbench. I can pull it out and use the flat top as a shelf on which to place stuff temporarily when the workbench is full.

Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

until you forget its stored there. i try to have averything visible. put the rack on the front.

what are you going to put into those drawers anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
        until you forget its stored there. i try to have averything visible. put the rack on the front.

I have things hiding in plain sight!

JL ....

Comment

What am I going to put in the drawers? EVERYTHING I can. My shop is in dire need of organizing. No horizontal surface is safe. For the present, I would like to put my second milling vise in them. Perhaps several more vises that are now taking up shelf space. I plan to make plywood inserts for the bottom of the drawers so I can put heavier things in them.

It will also be next to my lathe bench, which has three drawers on the head stock end. This will give me some more storage space at the tail stock end.

With three drawers, just how do I add a stock rack in the front? No, if anything, it must be in the rear.

Originally posted by dian View Post

Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 02-21-2021, 04:14 PM.
          Paul A.
          SE Texas

Comment

You would have to bring up the top as a work surface. "Curse you, Red Barron!"

I am going to have to find a way to PREVENT that.

Originally posted by mklotz View Post

Yes, roll-outs are great. Years ago Sears sold rolling tool cabinets that were absurdly low; they looked like something one might find in a shop where all the employees were children or little people.

I mentally dismissed them until it occurred to me that they would fit nicely under my workbench. I bought one and rolled it under sideways, i.e., the drawers face to the side when it's pulled out. This works perfectly for me. The handle on the cabinet is on the right side so using it to roll the thing in and out is easy. The drawers pull out towards me when I'm working at the bench; I don't have to walk around to grab a tool.

A further feature is the fact that the cabinet is a few inches shorter than the bottom of the workbench. I can pull it out and use the flat top as a shelf on which to place stuff temporarily when the workbench is full.
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

Comment

You would have to bring up the top as a work surface. "Curse you, Red Barron!"

I am going to have to find a way to PREVENT that.
              I'm not using it as a work surface per se, rather a place to temporarily hold stuff cluttering the main work surface.

The cabinet must be pushed back under the bench in order to park the car in the garage so the stuff must first be removed from the top lest it be swept off while rolling under the bench.

I have a better table-like thing that attaches temporarily to the front of the bench. It's a genuine work surface when in place but, as above, must be removed before the car can be parked. Its single leg structure folds so it becomes a flat package that can be stored vertically against the wall. It's worked out very well since, once in place, it can be accessed from three sides; makes it ideal for clamping and sawing large panels, a job impossible on the main bench.

Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
              http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

What am I going to put in the drawers? EVERYTHING I can. My shop is in dire need of organizing. No horizontal surface is safe. For the present, I would like to put my second milling vise in them. Perhaps several more vises that are now taking up shelf space. I plan to make plywood inserts for the bottom of the drawers so I can put heavier things in them.

It will also be next to my lathe bench, which has three drawers on the head stock end. This will give me some more storage space at the tail stock end.

With three drawers, just how do I add a stock rack in the front? No, if anything, it must be in the rear.

thought you were putting in under the bench sideways.
                Last edited by dian; 02-24-2021, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Next time go to Goodwill or Salvation Army second hand store, It would be $25 or so there.
                  Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

Working...
                  X