DIY Carriage drilling setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Carriage drilling setup

This little project has been on my todo list for a while. A recent clutch failure on my Bosch cordless led to the purchase of a new brushless version so I salvaged the old chuck. A couple of other little parts and I have a BXA drill chuck. I’ve read numerous pros and cons but my heavy 14x40 has a very heavy tailstock so drilling/pecking small holes was chore worth exploring a better way. And I can say it was well worth it. Numerous ways to set vertical center and then finding horizontal center isn’t much of a chore either. Using a spotting or center drill first (still in this chuck not the TS) as a drill/boring bar to make the initial spot puts it on center. Following with a flexibly held bit allows you to see the flex and make your cross slide adjustment easily. A little backlash in the cross slide is a slight help here as well.
    Attached Files

There is an easy more versatile method.
    put tool block parallel to ways , mount a stepped block of aluminum into tool post, you want about 1.5 inch or plus..square hanging out.
    Find approx centre, drill and ream to 1 inch. Then slit block and add a few clamping screws.
    now get a Morse #2 straight socket with 1 inch OD.........
    ... that will go in the 1 inch hole and hold most of your drills..

Comment

Yep. On my big Springfield, the tailstock weighs over 200 pounds. I'll use it to drill a BIG hole, but it's a pain to set it up to use anything under 1/2".

What I did was simply bought a 1" boring bar holder to fit the CXA post. Into that, I slipped a 1" shank ER-25 holder. With a full set of collets, I can hold anything from 1/8" up to 5/8".

Yes, it's offset from the centerline of the tool post, but the whole arrangement is big and heavy enough that I doubt I could apply enough pressure to spin anything.

Doc.
      Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

That chuck looks like it had already seen two lifetimes of work before this new role.

There's so many options around for fitting a chuck to some sort of rod to use on a tool post. But I think that this is a new option from what I've seen around. The world has another option now.

When you mentioned "pecking" with the drill I was expecting a holder for smaller stuff like 3/32 and smaller. So I was hoping for a variation on something like that. I've been thinking about a sensitive lever style feed to go into my tail stock for a while now. And a matching option that could be used in the drill press and possibly on the mill with an R8 to MT2 adapter.

Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Looks like a good set-up to me. Nice job!

PS: Good photo too.
          Paul A.
          SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
          You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Once you get the M2 taper in there you can use most taper shank drills to 1 inch..

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
              That chuck looks like it had already seen two lifetimes of work before this new role.
              Lol being a cordless chuck I guess it gets jammed into non ideal working conditions more than others. It’s actually in decent shape but in this case runout doesn’t even matter and it holds just fine. I actually threw a 1/4” drill into a holder and set it up to prove the theory before this setup and was instantly convinced. I’ll use this up to 1/2” for sure and 1/8” worked fine too. Haven’t had the need for a sensitive/micro attachment yet.

Comment

Working...
              X