Collets vs Tool Holders - AKA: More R8 Mumbo Jumbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
    Now the question... better to remove the key or to leave it in? 3 HP scares me on R8, let alone 5.

If you do remove the key, might wanna mark your holder to spindle with some nail polish as well. Wouldn't want it galling up the spindle on heavy cuts.
    If it slips, the key won't do anything but gall the spindle bore, whether it is present or not makes no difference to the power that the tooling breaks free.

Comment

Tracking shows my new machine in Phoenix today. It will probably be in El Centro this this evening, but I won't get a call until sometime next week I am sure.
      *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post

If it slips, the key won't do anything but gall the spindle bore, whether it is present or not makes no difference to the power that the tooling breaks free.
        That's a point. I'm sure it adds a little extra holding resistance. But I agree you don't want it to bear force. The machines I've used always had them removed. I get so confused for a second when I use a machine with it installed.
        21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
        1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Working...
        X