OT Modern vehicle engine and transmission longevity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gmax137 View Post
    Just to change the subject a bit, what about the feature where the engine shuts down at traffic lights? I had a couple of rental cars with this, it drove me crazy. I just can't believe that doesn't lead to more problems. Starter, ring gears, general engine problems? Or is it really a 'no never mind?'
    Gmax we just had a huge discussion about this in JT's recent post about "problems with the ford ranger" or something of the like

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

Gmax we just had a huge discussion about this in JT's recent post about "problems with the ford ranger" or something of the like
      Oops, sorry! Thanks for the re-direct!

Comment

I appreciate the feedback.

My hesitancy for turbos is probably more aimed at used vehicles with unknown service history. I am getting more comfortable with the idea of a new turbo'd vehicle that gets proper maintenance.

For the non US folks on this board.
        Typical US car owners (not generally members of this forum) have the tenancy to drive until something breaks before even considering maintenance. Inquiring if they followed the recommended maintenance schedule is often met with a blank cold stare. “Maintenance? No its always been a reliable car” Oil changes? Once a year or so. “I always put a quart in when the add oil light blinks” (Oil pressure warning switch). Often it is the second owner that is hit with the back log around 7 years. Plugs, possibly wires, all hoses, water pump, Accessory belt components, Timing belt if applicable, and of course the auto trans fluid n filter have never been done.

Wasn't going to touch on the auto start stop feature. If not disable-able, change the starter every 50K to 70K and hope the flywheel teeth last.

Comment

the first iteration of Subaru CVTs has issues, but they changed that with the 2013 models. Preventative maintenance matters alot, drain and fill the fluid every 60k miles at a minimum. Same goes with turbos, use high quality synthetic oil and they should last a good long time. I really liked the CVT in our '12 Outback, it was never in the "wrong" gear as it didn't have any Our Pilot has way more power but its 6spd auto isn't anywhere near as good.

Don't forget, if you're towing alot you need to follow the "tough conditions" maintenance schedule.

Also, there are more km in a mile (1.6 give or take), so 200k miles is ~320k km.

Comment

Originally posted by DS_park View Post

For the non US folks on this board.
            Typical US car owners (not generally members of this forum) have the tenancy to drive until something breaks before even considering maintenance. Inquiring if they followed the recommended maintenance schedule is often met with a blank cold stare. “Maintenance? No its always been a reliable car” ............................
            Wasn't going to touch on the auto start stop feature. If not disable-able, change the starter every 50K to 70K and hope the flywheel teeth last.
            Ah, well, ther is a REASON for that......................

The vehicle manufacturers don't tell you what the REAL schedule is, unless you dig for it.

Go to the dealer and ask? "We have for you a 'platinum service deal', All fluids, rotate your tires, replace muffler bearings, wash the vehicle and replace air filters, this week's special at only $259."

In other words a bunch of BS at a hgh price, that has nothing much to do with the real needs.

On the Volvo, at so many miles, do this and that. At so many more, these other things. It's pretty clear, and not much BS. Do it and the car lasts.

Americans are pretty stupid, I have noticed, easily led any way you want them to go. Just tell them what to do and they line up to comply, purchasing your "Platinum service" and then paying again for the things that were actually due at that mileage...... Maybe some are not, but to most, what is under the hood is a deep mystery, to which many pieces of green paper must be sacrificed to appease the deity under there.

On the S10, I replaced oil every 3500 miles or so. ENgine was still tight at 207k miles, ther rest, not so much
            Last edited by J Tiers; 02-22-2021, 01:50 PM.
            2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

LOL.... 200,000 km= 125000 miles (yep, nearly new). 200,000 km = 320,000 miles That's getting up there for any vehicle.
              I meant that at 200 000 km the car is sold from Germany to here and driven another 200 000km.
              (we have oldest cars and highest amount of kilometers in per year per car in europe..)

Comment

I had 94 GMC 2500 454 engine that got totalled in accident 560000 km,have a 2003 Chev 2500 6 litre 515000 km still driving it.Nothing comes for free both trucks had regular maintenance at GM Dealer and ran full synthetic oils all major components original excluding a transfer case in the 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post

I meant that at 200 000 km the car is sold from Germany to here and driven another 200 000km.
                  (we have oldest cars and highest amount of kilometers in per year per car in europe..)
                  And NO SALT or else you would have no car in 250,000 miles. I've routinely driven to 200K miles, so I don't see the issue.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

On the S10, I replaced oil every 3500 miles or so. ENgine was still tight at 207k miles, ther rest, not so much
                    Same as mine -- it gets oil, filter, lube 3x per year, and other items (such as tires) as necessary. Very strong running 2.9L 4-banger 5-spd still tight and pulling strong. I have to confess I do miss the old pre-smog V-8's tho. Never a problem with them, for me. Usually the body falls off first, from the rust.

Comment

And NO SALT or else you would have no car in 250,000 miles. I've routinely driven to 200K miles, so I don't see the issue.
                      Plenty of salt in here, some models turn to dust pretty early and fail MOT because of rust after 5 years and some models/makes resist the corrosion for 20+ years. Volvo and Audi for example have been pretty much rust-free.

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post

Plenty of salt in here, some models turn to dust pretty early and fail MOT because of rust after 5 years and some models/makes resist the corrosion for 20+ years. Volvo and Audi for example have been pretty much rust-free.
                        Yes, I see the same thing here (in wealthy neighborhoods -- only the very rich can afford audi and volvo)
                        I still think the Subaru is a good deal, not too expensive and they have lasted very well for my family.
                        But, they follow the maintenance very closely, and the salt is washed off every month.
                        Especially with the typical snow here, Subaru is a good bet.

For decades, "working class" guys like me relied on the old rusted GMC and Ford trucks. The mechanical parts were great, but the bodies rust apart. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWzrWseGYzI
                        Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 02-22-2021, 05:22 PM.

Comment

On the 94 GMC with 560000 km that was totalled in accident I bought it back from insurance.I sold the Engine & Trans to friend that was installing in a old Rat Rod Truck,he had a Engine Builder dismantle it and to the guys surprise it showed virtually no wear.Engine had always had Mobil 1 full synthetic changed at 10000 km intervals,builder said Cam looked virtually new and bore was not even close to boring 1 size over stock.

Comment

If she's going to tow I'd recommend installing a EGT gauge if it doesn't have one from the factory. Make sure she knows how to use it and after working the vehicle hard allow the turbo to cool a bit before shutting down the engine. If the turbo is water cooled this shouldn't be needed.

Comment

It surely does work fine when you floor it at 65 mph for passing. But is there a hidden time limit, like "war emergency power" on a radial engine?
                              Battle Power. I know several guys that refer to wide open throttle as the "military power" setting. All well and good until you look at the fuel flow gauge and convert that gallons per hour flow rate number into dollars per second.

Comment

Yep, full rich and max boost. Slurps down fuel. But when you need it, you need it.

Keep eye on ball.
                                Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                                X