• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

OK You are still being an idiot.

You jumped in on something that was not about what you wanted to make it "about". And going off half cocked, tellin more lies, trying to warp this into what you want it to be..
    "Backpedaling"? Nope, not taking a single word back, that's another thing you made up to fit your notions.

One last time.... your comment was "OMG... what were they thinking, they wanted to make it get up and go" on response to my comment that both the others went to redline when I accelerated.

Of course, that was not the point.... the point was that the others were screaming at redline for ANY reasonable accel. It was just annoying. The Ford has enough gears that there is a choice. Drop down a step or two out of the ten steps, and you get enough revs for what is being demanded from the engine without making it scream like a little motorcycle.

With fewer steps, the others have no choice but to drop to where the engine is screaming, regardless. With ten possibles, the Ford is able to modulate the revs to a point where power equals demand more exactly. It is just much less annoying.

Add to that the fact that the others, even screaming at redline did not have the power available, and you might as well be riding an angry mosquito.

If you DO floor the Ford, which I have done, the engine will of course go up higher in revs. Does it go to redline? Don't know, wasn't watching, and it isn't really relevant anyhow.

It is reasonable to expect that it would, at some point. Probably not for every shift, I'd expect to see it shift with some margin. At top speed in the highest gear, sure.

That last bit is probably true of all three. They Do have problems at lower speeds, just because there is no choice that is best. Too few revs, or too many.... choose wisely.

Of course, there is a basic difference in power. the others dont have it, so they have to drop a gear or two for many levels of accel to get into the power range they have programmed. These are just trucks, not ultra-tuned racers. They are tuned t work as well as they can for normal driving, without too many compromises.

With more power available, it is normal that the Ford would not have to "rev out" to get the same performance. High revs have disadvantages.... Much more noise, probably a lower efficiency due to a richer mixture (especially with turbo, to keep temps under control as well as to hit max power), likely more emissions, etc.

Makes sense that when the vehicle is not a racer, it might be programmed to prioritize emissions and fuel economy without hitting performance too hard.

See how simple that was? No need for you to go off on rants based on what you assumed was said.

If you are not clear on something, the best thing to do is to ask, not go off on multi-post rants accusing people of not knowing what they are talking about, and telling lies about what they said, just because you read one word out of 3 and assumed the rest.

Looks like you just got a spanking.😉
    omg - lol

Evan -- is it really you? are you back???
    Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 03-06-2021, 03:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
    This is why I like my 6 speed manual Tacoma!
    Does Toyota still make them? My truck will be paid off in another year, so I'm trying to plan ahead. I looked at the base model Tacos online, and I know toyota engineering is good, but I wasn't encouraged by what I found.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

And there you have it - more back pedaling and erroneous details --- Ok so now we get it --- two different methods used in your "direct" comparisons --- and two different results... (duh) wow thanks for that JT -- that was very helpful,

just as much as the "really was not paying attention to the tach so can't say for sure --- just trying my best to keep the vehicle under control"

just to clarify ---- when you "punched it" with the ford were you using your foot or did you actually have some kinda boxing glove on one of your hands and kinda hit the pedal with it down there? im sorry but it's getting to the point where we have to ask these kinda questions, and would explain why you did not have full view of the tachometer...
    OK You are still being an idiot.

You jumped in on something that was not about what you wanted to make it "about". And going off half cocked, tellin more lies, trying to warp this into what you want it to be..
    "Backpedaling"? Nope, not taking a single word back, that's another thing you made up to fit your notions.

One last time.... your comment was "OMG... what were they thinking, they wanted to make it get up and go" on response to my comment that both the others went to redline when I accelerated.

Of course, that was not the point.... the point was that the others were screaming at redline for ANY reasonable accel. It was just annoying. The Ford has enough gears that there is a choice. Drop down a step or two out of the ten steps, and you get enough revs for what is being demanded from the engine without making it scream like a little motorcycle.

With fewer steps, the others have no choice but to drop to where the engine is screaming, regardless. With ten possibles, the Ford is able to modulate the revs to a point where power equals demand more exactly. It is just much less annoying.

Add to that the fact that the others, even screaming at redline did not have the power available, and you might as well be riding an angry mosquito.

If you DO floor the Ford, which I have done, the engine will of course go up higher in revs. Does it go to redline? Don't know, wasn't watching, and it isn't really relevant anyhow.

It is reasonable to expect that it would, at some point. Probably not for every shift, I'd expect to see it shift with some margin. At top speed in the highest gear, sure.

That last bit is probably true of all three. They Do have problems at lower speeds, just because there is no choice that is best. Too few revs, or too many.... choose wisely.

Of course, there is a basic difference in power. the others dont have it, so they have to drop a gear or two for many levels of accel to get into the power range they have programmed. These are just trucks, not ultra-tuned racers. They are tuned t work as well as they can for normal driving, without too many compromises.

With more power available, it is normal that the Ford would not have to "rev out" to get the same performance. High revs have disadvantages.... Much more noise, probably a lower efficiency due to a richer mixture (especially with turbo, to keep temps under control as well as to hit max power), likely more emissions, etc.

Makes sense that when the vehicle is not a racer, it might be programmed to prioritize emissions and fuel economy without hitting performance too hard.

See how simple that was? No need for you to go off on rants based on what you assumed was said.

If you are not clear on something, the best thing to do is to ask, not go off on multi-post rants accusing people of not knowing what they are talking about, and telling lies about what they said, just because you read one word out of 3 and assumed the rest.

Looks like you just got a spanking.😉
    Last edited by J Tiers; 03-06-2021, 02:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Originally posted by Doozer View Post
    What about Ohio street and Furhman Blvd?
    Never went that far -- had plenty of fun as it was. FWIW if you go way out on Balmer Rd in Niagara County (in between the military base and the corn) you can see the tire marks where the locals are having midnight drag races... way out there in the boonies, pretty sure the fuzz are looking the other way on that one... rubber was so thick just like a pro track.

Spinas engine shop is long gone tho, Bummer. A lot of machining knowledge there disappeared cuz the son had drug problems. He used to build big blocks that would go 800 HP on alcohol, naturally aspirated.

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    What about Ohio street and Furhman Blvd?

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Originally posted by Doozer View Post
    I want to put a turbo on it
    because mileage sucks already
    so might as well ......

-Doozer
    Figure I grew up driving the old-school big-block v-8's. Power peaked at 3000 and the show was over at 4000... but MAN you had a lot of fun getting there and there was no question they would pull, the only question was gas money.

I used to win a lot of stoplight races on Delaware Ave with a punched-out 396....

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Can't weasel out that way, AK. It's YOUR issue not mine, and it's an issue that you made up for yourself. Learn to read what is written, not what yu think is on the screen.

Simple point, that you made complex for no reason.

Flooring the other two produced engines going up to redline screaming, but sluggish accel.

Ford, better performance obtained by a heavy accel, but NOT flooring it, and not having redline before shifting.. That flooring it is all your imagination.

You go off half cocked a lot, and it gets old.

Please put me on ignore.
    And there you have it - more back pedaling and erroneous details --- Ok so now we get it --- two different methods used in your "direct" comparisons --- and two different results... (duh) wow thanks for that JT -- that was very helpful,

just as much as the "really was not paying attention to the tach so can't say for sure --- just trying my best to keep the vehicle under control"

just to clarify ---- when you "punched it" with the ford were you using your foot or did you actually have some kinda boxing glove on one of your hands and kinda hit the pedal with it down there? im sorry but it's getting to the point where we have to ask these kinda questions, and would explain why you did not have full view of the tachometer...

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Can't weasel out that way, AK. It's YOUR issue not mine, and it's an issue that you made up for yourself. Learn to read what is written, not what yu think is on the screen.

Simple point, that you made complex for no reason.

Flooring the other two produced engines going up to redline screaming, but sluggish accel.

Ford, better performance obtained by a heavy accel, but NOT flooring it, and not having redline before shifting.. That flooring it is all your imagination.

You go off half cocked a lot, and it gets old.

Please put me on ignore.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 03-06-2021, 01:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    lol As usual you have a different definition for "punching it" than most everyone else ---- for most everybody else "punching it" means "flooring it" and flooring it can only mean one thing, pedal to the floor --- not some kinda secret code for "1/2 or 3/4 throttle"

You know JT, I was trying to be kind to you yesterday and told people "maybe he's missing the sport mode button on the dash or something" another words --- I was giving you an "out" to save face,,, I realized it was a mechanical related topic and you have not done very well in the past with this, but now the catz out of the bag and all's exposed leaving people to say to themselves once again ------------------ "he's missing a button alright --- but it's not one he's going to find on the dash"

have a nice day - try to get your stories a little better in order next time - thanks ...

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied

Oh ok sorry - thought you knew what you were talking about and relaying that directly to us, so now it's "don't know if I was actually watching the tach" and "punching it hard" is actually really just light pedal pressure, which is now in stark contradiction with the chebby and the nissan shifting out at redline with just the same half throttle as the ford? again - that ain't gonna happen either lol
    I was just trying to decipher what was "actually occurring" so that we could all understand what was really happening... so in that respect thanks for "clarifying"

Willy's a wise man and I quote; " Like I said, a bad descriptor to the event sequence is my bet. Time will tell. "

time has told... the prosecution rests your honor ----- no further questions....
    Don't be an Idiot...... and don't lie.

Find where I wrote that. You are just making up stuff. And DELIBERATELY missing the point. Frankly, being an ass.

Neither the Chevvy nor the Nissan could accelerate AT WOT as the Ford did at a heavy but not floored condition. END OF STORY. Stop the lies.

You opened up the nonsense by acting as if I complained that the other two were actually trying to get up and go. Your entire argument so far has been based on misinterpretation and then telling lies about what you claim I said.

There is "punching it", and there is WOT. To me these are not the same, and I have not claimed they are. This entire pile of dog**** is YOURS to own.

JUST GO AWAY

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
    You won't get an argument from me there, I think out of the dozens of cars iv owned 3 were automatics just because i was wheeling and dealing with them for awhile till something better came around, the pattern I slipped into was the same with all three --- did not want to get out of bed in the morning --- stopped combing my hair and brushing my teeth, got fat, slipped into a deep depression and the only thing that could pull me back out was a 5 speed with a good stump pulling clutch...

Leave a comment:

• lakeside53
    replied

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    It's very simple.... I have not had to actually stomp it to the floor yet when I could watch the tach. Or at least, I HAVE, but I was kinda busy keeping the thing under control, so I wasn't watching the tach.

If I implied that it did not do redline at WOT, that was not my intention. IIRC, I said I punched it hard, but never said I floored it.

The point was that to get much better performance than flooring the Colorado or the Nissan, I did not NEED to literally floor it. Has not needed to be floored literally when passing.

I did it , once, from a stop. Not doing that again without a clear road for quite a way farther ahead. It's out of the performance envelope of the sport vehicles I drove before, i.e. 60's european sports cars. They are fun, but they do not jam you in your seat the same way.

From a stop, the truck will. No, it won't do it at 50mph, the way my friend's GTO with over 500ci will. But it will pass just under speed limit traffic with good authority.

I fully expect that at WOT it will go up to redline. The shift points are calibrated to the throttle setting. Have not had to do WOT, so have not seen it spin the tach It does just fine at 4000 shift.

Oh ok sorry - thought you knew what you were talking about and relaying that directly to us, so now it's "don't know if I was actually watching the tach" and "punching it hard" is actually really just light pedal pressure, which is now in stark contradiction with the chebby and the nissan shifting out at redline with just the same half throttle as the ford? again - that ain't gonna happen either lol
    I was just trying to decipher what was "actually occurring" so that we could all understand what was really happening... so in that respect thanks for "clarifying"

Willy's a wise man and I quote; " Like I said, a bad descriptor to the event sequence is my bet. Time will tell. "

time has told... the prosecution rests your honor ----- no further questions....

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
    (FWIW, Dooz actually *is* an engineer)
    Yeah... He drives a Choo-Choo alright JR

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    It's very simple.... I have not had to actually stomp it to the floor yet when I could watch the tach. Or at least, I HAVE, but I was kinda busy keeping the thing under control, so I wasn't watching the tach.

If I implied that it did not do redline at WOT, that was not my intention. IIRC, I said I punched it hard, but never said I floored it.

The point was that to get much better performance than flooring the Colorado or the Nissan, I did not NEED to literally floor it. Has not needed to be floored literally when passing.

I did it , once, from a stop. Not doing that again without a clear road for quite a way farther ahead. It's out of the performance envelope of the sport vehicles I drove before, i.e. 60's european sports cars. They are fun, but they do not jam you in your seat the same way.

From a stop, the truck will. No, it won't do it at 50mph, the way my friend's GTO with over 500ci will. But it will pass just under speed limit traffic with good authority.

I fully expect that at WOT it will go up to redline. The shift points are calibrated to the throttle setting. Have not had to do WOT, so have not seen it spin the tach It does just fine at 4000 shift.

Same page, although i don't think I would have been as kind in my description as you lol
    We don't expect it from you. If you were, we'd send the cops on a status check to see if you were sick.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 03-06-2021, 12:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X