Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Can a power surge burn out the battery side of a UPS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Can a power surge burn out the battery side of a UPS?

I had 2 of the 3 UPS's in the house crap out the other day. No obvious reason, just heard a squeal, and checked the nearest one and everything was dead. The surge protected sides work now, but the battery sides do not, they won't power up normally. They were not only on different circuits, they were on whole different meters & panels! WTF? We don't lose power very often, but I like having a UPS so a brief power hiccup doesn't crash all the PCs.

Not usually. One expects it to kill the 120V side first.

Did you check for battery side fuses?
    2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

A surge can fry the circuitry. The "battery sides" are typically passing A/C via a relay. When power fails the relay switches to connect the inverter's output to the plugs.

It's been my experience that UPS batteries fail after 2 to 3 years, but you don't know it until a power failure. I think this is because the voltage will be close to normal but the capacity is near zero. It's worthwhile to disconnect the battery and check it's state of charge.

Dan

At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

That also.... maybe you DID have a power failure, not a "surge", and it showed-up the dead batteries. That is a very reasonable explanation.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

How good the design is matters a lot. As in does it have a built in surge protector or is it just acting as an isolator and keep your fingers crossed.
          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Thanks all, but none of those dead battery ideas explain why it would now not power up that side of the circuit now that line power is normal. loose nut I've never seen a UPSA that wasn't also a surge protector. Typically half the outlets are battery and half are just surged.

Comment

I had that happen a lot, certain models from APC were notorious for failing out at the "battery side". Our offices are all protected with UPS and in the morning you'd come in and half of the computers were not turning on, replug them on the surge only side and wait for the replacement to arrive. Most of them made it to the 3rd or 4th set of batteries though (7-10 years old).

Comment

There are two types of battery backups. Line interactive (like the APC Smart UPS) which can do voltage correction on the fly and the usually cheaper and simpler switch to battery models where you are either on line power or battery. What are these units? Have you opened one up?
                Mike
                Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Well, perhaps we don't understand your problem.

Does the battery backup not work?

Or does nothing whatever going to the outlets (any of them) work at all?

Those are two different things. If nothing works, then perhaps the things really DID get fried by a surge, and they protected the third one, plus everything else electric.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                    Well, perhaps we don't understand your problem.

Does the battery backup not work?

Or does nothing whatever going to the outlets (any of them) work at all?

Those are two different things. If nothing works, then perhaps the things really DID get fried by a surge, and they protected the third one, plus everything else electric.
                    That's exactly the thing, it's like slamadeleine described, the battery side is dead and can't be reset, but the just surged side is live.

Comment

Well, then the "UPS" function is not operational, which is the battery and inverter section, possibly the relay switchover section.

Dead battery, bad inverter, bad relay, no command to switch over........ Assuming this type does switch.

Some power off inverter always, but use line power unless there is no line, continuously charging while running off the charger output until the battery is the only source..

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                        Well, then the "UPS" function is not operational
                        LOL, I'd figured that out all by myself!

Comment

Virtually every backup power supply I've been into has had a bad battery. Emergency lighting, jump start modules, UPs systems- chances are the battery voltage will check fine if it hasn't had to work, but the moment you need it, there's no voltage available- and then the charging system won't bring it back up because the voltage is too low and it sees it as either a bad battery, or no battery.
                          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Allen Bradley the big dog of the PLC world sells an APC UPS specially made for them. It has three unique features, terminal strip connections, NO surge suppression ,and an outrageous price! Learned that the hard way, three lightning strikes in one month at a waste treatment plant. $8000 worth of PLC equipment fried. Now I build control panels with a receptacle to plug a standard UPS into and a male cord to get power from it. If it fails, which happens a lot you just plug the cord into the receptacle until you get the replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post

LOL, I'd figured that out all by myself!
                              Sure, but the question is what cause? If the inverter was kaput, the fuse could be blown, because it pulls a lot of current in that condition.

So far you say that nothing is wrong with the battery (proof?), and apparently assumed nothing is wrong with the inverter.... that leaves the connection relay.

Any pictures of what you are, and have been, looking at? It's a bit too much guesswork so far.

The inverter could be bad, it could be not getting told to work. Battery or fuse could be bad. relay that connects it (if any, another question not answered) could be bad or not getting told to connect. In that last case, the whole thing could be working but not getting connected.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                              X