Tygon Hose ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tygon Hose ??

When I restored my grinder I replaced the hydraulic return lines and feed line to the table ways with Tygon hose. Translucent yellow stuff. Used a couple different sizes.
    The stuff on the grinder thats been in use for probably 20 plus years is fine. The left over hose has been stored in one of my cabinets. Last year I had to move it to dig for something and noticed that it had a sticky oily / greasy feel to it. I thought, is it breaking down due to age or something. I wiped it all off with a solvent. So I happened to check it this morning and it has the same oily feel to it again.
    Wonder if I should toss it? This stuff is supposed to be impervious to just about everything. Anyone know what's going on with it??

JL..............

Many types of Tygon: https://www.usplastic.com/knowledgeb...contentkey=465
    All plastics degrade. I'd toss it.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xqioUspx4xdGOQ

Comment

It IS supposed to be impervious to everything.
      But I find it either turns to gooo or gets hard as a rock.
      I am not impressed with Tygon hose.

-D
      DZER

Comment

kinda sounds like you have to subject it to different types of abuse or it gets an autoimmune disorder and starts attacking itself...

Comment

I know that all plastics degrade over time but the thing that I don't understand is why is the stuff that's on my grinder full of oil still good?
          Could it be that the oil that circulates through the hose somehow preserves it? While the hose stored in the cabinet has air exposure on both ID and OD.

JL..........

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
            When I restored my grinder I replaced the hydraulic return lines and feed line to the table ways with Tygon hose. Translucent yellow stuff. Used a couple different sizes.
            The stuff on the grinder thats been in use for probably 20 plus years is fine. The left over hose has been stored in one of my cabinets. Last year I had to move it to dig for something and noticed that it had a sticky oily / greasy feel to it. I thought, is it breaking down due to age or something. I wiped it all off with a solvent. So I happened to check it this morning and it has the same oily feel to it again.
            Wonder if I should toss it? This stuff is supposed to be impervious to just about everything. Anyone know what's going on with it??

JL..............
            I had the same thing happen. The Tygon lines on my snowmobile are ~11 years old and are finally getting hard enough to think about replacement, but the unused portion of the roll I kept in the house got all sticky like yours did. My only guess is that the plasticizers that make it so flexible don't evaporate off or get dissolved by the gas/oil when it's just sitting in storage.

Comment

Throw it under the bus - i mean literally toss it under a bus - then go get it and look at it - if my suspicions are correct it will stop eating itself...

Comment

it deteriorates with age, as you say
                We has that stuff to pressurize the waveguide on aircraft radars. The radar quit working, we tried everything, then found a oily blubble in a low spot, and the waveguide was contaminated.
                Replaced the waveguide, new tygon, all was well again

Comment

Apparently Tygon can be several different materials. So what is Tygon? Somebody's brand? It could be trash instead of a suitable material for the application, and you may have paid princely for what might have been mediocre quality. On the other hand it may have been the good quality stuff, but suffered from some kind of fungal interaction from being in storage in stale air. Kind of like my old clothes that have been stored in a fairly new cabinet, but are now musty smelling-
                  I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Tygon is a brand name not a material. One type is PVC.

Comment

Someone did a very good marketing trick on Tygon. Probably started by offering the super stuff that lasted forever and then added all kinds of other material variants but being obscure about which is what.

Comment

Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
                        Tygon is a brand name not a material. One type is PVC.
                        I never knew that, but never looked into it either.

I believe this was the stuff..... https://www.mcmaster.com/tygon-tubin...t_InpBox=tygon

JL.............

Comment

Sticky normally means plasticizer oozing out. Not all plastics have that material. The ones that do not last the longest, there is less that changes.

The plasticizer acts as "oil" to pretty literally lube the molecules. When enough has left, the plastic is hard when ot used to be flexible. It's not a crosslinking as much as it is a tangling, I understand. Plasticizer prevents that.

Sure, there are many kinds of Tygon.... there are many kinds of a LOT of things that were very good single products. Companies do not survive on one product, it's like having one customer. The original stuff was pretty darn good, at least for the time.
                          2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

I guess Viton is a trade name too.

But.......... I did know that Lexan was a trade name. Knew that for years.

JL.............

Comment

Yeah, what are some other names for polycarbonate? Lexan is one-
                              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                              X