Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tygon Hose ??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by darryl View Post
    Yeah, what are some other names for polycarbonate? Lexan is one-
    Makrolon.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
      I never knew that, but never looked into it either.

      I believe this was the stuff..... https://www.mcmaster.com/tygon-tubin...t_InpBox=tygon

      JL.............
      For what it's worth, here's the MSDS on that tubing:

      https://www.processsystems.saint-gob...40A-Tubing.pdf

      Comment


      • #18
        I usually don't get into MSDS for anything other than perhaps paint's or solvents, stuff that might become airborne that I may breath in or have to handle.
        But not for hose.

        Section 4 Physical Hazards Stability....... Stable

        Section 7 Handling & Storage Store in a Cool Dry Place

        Since I had no intentions of burning it, chewing on it, using it for food service or handling it on a daily basis there was no need to get into the MSDS.

        It looks like service usage has exceeded shelf life !

        JL..............









        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
          Last year I had to move it to dig for something and noticed that it had a sticky oily / greasy feel to it. I thought, is it breaking down due to age or something. I wiped it all off with a solvent. So I happened to check it this morning and it has the same oily feel to it again.
          Wonder if I should toss it? This stuff is supposed to be impervious to just about everything. Anyone know what's going on with it??

          JL..............
          Cool.. I am glad I am not the only one that has a few coils of "plastic" turn to goo.

          And I dont live in an extrema environment, no freezys or Hotzys (Science).

          I do not like it when I come up on said roll. **** can it right off the get go.

          For tubing that works with petro-chem I know of a few if interested. And long living.

          It really is a difficult thing to provide. Flex, Strength and Durability.

          The bummer is.. Those critters cost a lot of Cannoli. JR

          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

          https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

          Comment


          • #20
            JR, they didn't turn to goo, just developed a sticky oily type feel on the outside, probably on the inside too. But probably still usable.

            JL...............

            Comment


            • #21
              It will begin to crack after the sticky feel, as that is probably the plasticizer coming out. Replace it.

              Hydraulic oil probably would be fine with Buna-N tubing, which is generally oil resistant. You can check McMaster for available flexible tubing types and their oil/chemical resistance.
              2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

              Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan


              It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                It will begin to crack after the sticky feel, as that is probably the plasticizer coming out. Replace it.

                Hydraulic oil probably would be fine with Buna-N tubing, which is generally oil resistant. You can check McMaster for available flexible tubing types and their oil/chemical resistance.
                The stuff that I used on my grinder hydraulics is fine, it's what was left over stored in the cabinet that got sticky. It's still just a soft and pliable as it was when it was new.

                This stuff has been in service for over 20 years now I believe.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190707-171954.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	1930935

                JL...............

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                  The stuff that I used on my grinder hydraulics is fine, it's what was left over stored in the cabinet that got sticky. It's still just a soft and pliable as it was when it was new.

                  This stuff has been in service for over 20 years now I believe.

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190707-171954.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	1930935

                  JL...............
                  Very nice looking cabinet. Is that yours or zee boss? Either way, I like it. JR
                  My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

                  https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by JRouche View Post

                    Very nice looking cabinet. Is that yours or zee boss? Either way, I like it. JR
                    It's all mine............. I'm the boss !

                    JL..........

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                      It's all mine............. I'm the boss !

                      JL..........
                      Thats the best way to go

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X