• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darryl View Post
    Yeah, what are some other names for polycarbonate? Lexan is one-
    Makrolon.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
      I never knew that, but never looked into it either.

I believe this was the stuff..... https://www.mcmaster.com/tygon-tubin...t_InpBox=tygon

JL.............
      For what it's worth, here's the MSDS on that tubing:

https://www.processsystems.saint-gob...40A-Tubing.pdf

Comment

I usually don't get into MSDS for anything other than perhaps paint's or solvents, stuff that might become airborne that I may breath in or have to handle.
        But not for hose.

Section 4 Physical Hazards Stability....... Stable

Section 7 Handling & Storage Store in a Cool Dry Place

Since I had no intentions of burning it, chewing on it, using it for food service or handling it on a daily basis there was no need to get into the MSDS.

It looks like service usage has exceeded shelf life !

JL..............

Comment

Last year I had to move it to dig for something and noticed that it had a sticky oily / greasy feel to it. I thought, is it breaking down due to age or something. I wiped it all off with a solvent. So I happened to check it this morning and it has the same oily feel to it again.
          Wonder if I should toss it? This stuff is supposed to be impervious to just about everything. Anyone know what's going on with it??

JL..............
          Cool.. I am glad I am not the only one that has a few coils of "plastic" turn to goo.

And I dont live in an extrema environment, no freezys or Hotzys (Science).

I do not like it when I come up on said roll. **** can it right off the get go.

For tubing that works with petro-chem I know of a few if interested. And long living.

It really is a difficult thing to provide. Flex, Strength and Durability.

The bummer is.. Those critters cost a lot of Cannoli. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

JR, they didn't turn to goo, just developed a sticky oily type feel on the outside, probably on the inside too. But probably still usable.

JL...............

Comment

It will begin to crack after the sticky feel, as that is probably the plasticizer coming out. Replace it.

Hydraulic oil probably would be fine with Buna-N tubing, which is generally oil resistant. You can check McMaster for available flexible tubing types and their oil/chemical resistance.
              2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                It will begin to crack after the sticky feel, as that is probably the plasticizer coming out. Replace it.

Hydraulic oil probably would be fine with Buna-N tubing, which is generally oil resistant. You can check McMaster for available flexible tubing types and their oil/chemical resistance.
                The stuff that I used on my grinder hydraulics is fine, it's what was left over stored in the cabinet that got sticky. It's still just a soft and pliable as it was when it was new.

This stuff has been in service for over 20 years now I believe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190707-171954.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	1930935

JL...............

Comment

The stuff that I used on my grinder hydraulics is fine, it's what was left over stored in the cabinet that got sticky. It's still just a soft and pliable as it was when it was new.

This stuff has been in service for over 20 years now I believe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190707-171954.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	1930935

JL...............
                  Very nice looking cabinet. Is that yours or zee boss? Either way, I like it. JR
                  My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Very nice looking cabinet. Is that yours or zee boss? Either way, I like it. JR
                    It's all mine............. I'm the boss !

JL..........

Comment

It's all mine............. I'm the boss !

JL..........
                      Thats the best way to go

Comment

Working...
                      X