No announcement yet.

Wide radius cutting tool for lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be tempted to grind up a form tool out of an old file or similar, and clamp that in one of my regular tool holders. Your lathe is plenty big enough for that if you keep the RPM's down and feed slowly.

Comment

Do you have a milling machine and some way of rotating a piece of the delrin bar? With the tool & delrin axes at 90 degrees, plunge the side of a 1" end mill into the delrin, rotate the delrin once and a bit, job done.

Ian
      All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Originally posted by jmarkwolf View Post
        I'm seriously considering installing Rapid Aire Maxline air compressor line in my shop.
        Installing Maxline very soon. I was going to try to make something but life it short. I just ordered the tool and plan on selling it when I'm done.
        Mike
        Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

dial, dro, imo makes no difference...its just numbers. I've never bothered making a radius tool and after 25 years have done every radius this way with a DRO. But i get the DRO is slightly easier to read.

I like idea of an indicator on the bed for the Z movement, vs slewing the compound around
          exactly, I just fed mine through a 8ft piece of 1" pipe, I pushed my son pulled, came out straight enough. Used a conduit bender with a long handle to make my bends.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian B View Post
            Do you have a milling machine and some way of rotating a piece of the delrin bar? With the tool & delrin axes at 90 degrees, plunge the side of a 1" end mill into the delrin, rotate the delrin once and a bit, job done.

Ian

You could also use a 1” ball end router and rig up some live tooling for the lathe.

I could be nothing more than something held in the tool post with a hole through it the size of the router shank, a thrust bearing behind the cutter. Put the bit in the hole and power with a drill from the back. Feed in with the cross slide.

Getting a router or die grinder attached somehow would also work.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian B View Post

Ian
              I like this approach. I have a mill and a 10" rotary table and 1" end mills However to make the 7 rollers efficiently on one stick of delrin (cut them apart later), I think I would need a tailstock, which I don't have, to hold the "long end".

I can't get very close to the rotary table due to the diameter of my spindle/collet chuck, etc., so making them one-by-one with minimal stick-out and no tailstock would be wasteful.

Could probably fabricate a tailstock from big aluminum angle I suppose. Will give that some thought.
              Last edited by jmarkwolf; 03-01-2021, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Now there's an idea. Buy the tool, use it, and then sell it. Put it on E-bay for something like 50% of your cost and a one week auction. You may even get more than your money back.

Originally posted by Ohio Mike View Post

Installing Maxline very soon. I was going to try to make something but life it short. I just ordered the tool and plan on selling it when I'm done.
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                  Now there's an idea. Buy the tool, use it, and then sell it. Put it on E-bay for something like 50% of your cost and a one week auction. You may even get more than your money back.

Hi Paul

Ohio Mike suggested the same thing, and honestly, I'm leaning in that direction.

As much fun as it is to think about how to fabricate the means for this and other tasks, if I always followed through with building the tooling, I'd never get my original projects completed.

Comment

I'm wondering about the idea of just pushing/pulling through the length of tubing or pipe mentioned earlier by akajun. If you got a length of pretty close fitting PVC conduit and mounted the two ends to something and get someone to flex the conduit around in a barrel like "skipping rope" action while you push and pull the line through the conduit I bet it would come out the other end quite straight.
                    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Working...
                    X