Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50,000 fps for glassless mirror

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGWPaDfsd2w

Just bought one of these glassless motorcycle mirrors, thought you might be interested in how they're made.
    Apparently tattoos are required.
    Looks like regular CNC until 6:25 .
    Len

Interesting procedure.

The big "pressure cooker" used for, I assume, vapor deposition of some manner of hard coat was pretty impressive. I thought it had a lot of power handling features for things that didn't really need to be handled by powered methods. But that's just me I guess.

The cool custom tools they made to handle the mirrors during the process including the red "centering wedge" used for the pressure cooker thingy were pretty impressive just on their own.
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Very clever, you have to see the video to twig the tatoo reference

Comment

Interesting. I would like to know just how abrasion resistant that coating is. When I am out for a long ride, I like clean mirrors, which usually means a spritz of water and a micro-fiber towel wipe down. Maybe if I am in a hurry just wipe it off with my glove.

Comment

There are subtitles explaining the processes - be sure to turn them on - the "CC" button.

Comment

They are doing a SiO2 coating by Plasma Enhanced Chemical Vapor Deposition. Silicon Dioxide is used to coat all sorts of optics like telescope mirrors, its basically pure glass.

Comment

Wow, I had not even heard of these never mind the process involved in making them. Extremely interesting to say the least. Looks like I'll have to step up the RPMs if I hope to get that level of finish on aluminum.
              Thanks to both Qsimdo for the thread and Macona for the process description.
              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                Wow, I had not even heard of these never mind the process involved in making them. Extremely interesting to say the least. Looks like I'll have to step up the RPMs if I hope to get that level of finish on aluminum.
                Its mostly the diamond insert they use, that's what gives it the mirror finish. And the massive rigidity of the machine.

Comment

Originally posted by QSIMDO View Post
                  Just bought one of these glassless motorcycle mirrors,.
                  whats the advantage of them?
                  in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Love those intricate processes!
                    But I just can't get over the inked up hair cutted goofs running it all. I guess I'm too traditional but there are people I would not feel comfy with visiting my home.

Comment

Originally posted by tomato coupe
                      I don't know if the title of this thread is meant to imply the cutting speed is 50,000 feet per second, but 50,000 fps in the video refers to frames per second for the high speed camera.
                      I would certainly hope not, lol. That would translate to 3 million feet per minute!
                      Much like the tattoo comment, watching the video explains all.
                      Still considering the fact that a camera capable of 50,000 frames per second was used to capture the cutting process does illustrate the very high speed used on that glorified fly cutter.
                      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

That was pretty interesting, aside from machining process I haven't a clue what the others were.

I wonder if that guy has a special process for that hair style ??

JL.....................

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post

^ This.
                          I got a chance to go back and watch with the CC on. That coating sounds up to the task.
                          I will be curious to see how you like them Qsimdo. I looked them up and they are surprisingly affordable.

Comment

Saving a couple of ounces will make your HD fatboy much easier to manage.

I checked the price in the UK, £200 a pair, out of my price range unfortunately.

Comment

I see them for $117 to $129 here in the US. I see them as a clean looking mirror. The weight savings are not relevant to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X