Video of a guy machining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video of a guy machining

Who in the heck needs another ball turner? I just watched a video of a fellow making/machining a ball turner. It doesn't make any difference if he was machining parts for ball turner or parts for a belt-sander, why I am posting this is I found his techniques for set up and measuring very interesting. I learned a lot and maybe some on here might learn something new also. https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/...r-video-83982?

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
    Oregon Coast

Measuring using adjustable parallels, All the time.
    You can even use them in a bore if you mike point to point.

-D
    DZER

Comment

Yes , plus one on the adjustable parallel for slots.

Comment

2 balls and an adjustable parallel. Instant bore comparator handy things adjustable parallels
        mark

Comment

One thing he recommends, that I will NEVER recommend
          is running a threading die on backwards.
          The threads are back relieved to form a rake which gives
          clearance to the threads being cut.
          Running the die from the wrong side will not allow it to cut
          only wedge and create hoop stress within the die.
          A great way to crack it. Any threads that actually get cut
          when threading upside down and being cut compression
          and it just tears the metal out. So go ahead and argue with
          me that you have been doing it for 30 years and it works,
          and you feel that there is nothing wring with it, and your
          daddy's daddy's daddy done it that way. I don't care.
          You are a hack. Maybe you are proud to be an ignorant hack.
          You love being ignorant because all your friends are ignorant too.
          And you like having something in common with them. So you
          make fart jokes and run dies on backwards, and really good
          and tight. Look brough, got er done! Beer time. Let's discuss
          how awesome I am because I can die them threads clear up
          to a shoulder. Yep, pretty sweet doncha tink? Yep dis kinda stiff
          is for proooofessionals. Don't you office dwellers tink about
          die'en stuff. Makin treads be man work. Ha ha ho ho.
          Pass me nother PBR.

-D
          DZER

Comment

what do you mean by backwards? you cant turn it the other way. if you mean the die having a front and a back side then i have to tell you iv never seen one of those. all dies i know are symetrical.

Comment

And so it begins.
              Don't believe everything you know.

-D
              DZER

Comment

Its a shame that the manufacturers of threading dies do not mark their front side. Some are almost impossible to identify their direction. I have often run one on the less chamfered end to get the threads closer to a shoulder.

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                  2 balls and an adjustable parallel. Instant bore comparator handy things adjustable parallels
                  mark
                  I can see how theoretically that would work, but how in the world would you hold 2 balls, 2 parallel pieces, and a mic with 2 hands?

Comment

You can measure a bore in a pinch with an adjustable parallel and NO spheres. Just have to apply flat-to-round correction based on the width of the parallel and the bore size. I used to have a chart for that somewhere. We used it occasionally when we had to mic to a bore and didn't have a ball attachment. Somebody at that shop made up a nice chart with different mic anvil widths and various bore sizes.

(Doozer's point to point also works just fine).

And yes, generally most dies do have lead and follow sides. The entry side will have a larger chamfer/lead-in on the I.D., the same way a tap has one on the O.D.
                    Last edited by eKretz; 02-25-2021, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

I can see how theoretically that would work, but how in the world would you hold 2 balls, 2 parallel pieces, and a mic with 2 hands?
                      Maybe it's time for a new shop apprentice.

Comment

I have no difficulty holding 2 balls and a parallel ( when you get old you can sit on your own, balls that is)
                        itโ€™s a puzzle, but checking a tapered bore with balls and slip gauges is also entertaining
                        mark

Comment

So go ahead and argue with
                          me that you have been doing it for 30 years and it works,
                          and you feel that there is nothing wring with it, and your
                          daddy's daddy's daddy done it that way. I don't care.
                          You are a hack. Maybe you are proud to be an ignorant hack.
                          You love being ignorant because all your friends are ignorant too.
                          And you like having something in common with them. So you
                          make fart jokes and run dies on backwards, and really good
                          and tight. Look brough, got er done! Beer time. Let's discuss
                          how awesome I am because I can die them threads clear up
                          to a shoulder. Yep, pretty sweet doncha tink? Yep dis kinda stiff
                          is for proooofessionals. Don't you office dwellers tink about
                          die'en stuff. Makin treads be man work. Ha ha ho ho.
                          Pass me nother PBR.
                          I love how Doozer brings such ...er, Passion, to a discussion!
                          "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post

Passion? Yea, let's go with that ๐Ÿ˜.
                            If I run the threading die just backward just sort of close to the shoulder and I only sort of a hack? If I don't run the die backward can I still be a hack? I don't want to give up being a hack for one small reason.
                            Anyway, I noticed that he plunge cuts the rough slot. Is this a common/advantageous way to create a rough slot?
                            Last edited by challenger; 02-27-2021, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post

and who says absolutism is dead?

then again, I've always wondered why using dies backwards leaves a terrible finish - I should have been turning them clockwise instead

Comment

Working...
                              X